Author Topic: Well Canadians......less than 2 weeks left  (Read 1331 times)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Well Canadians......less than 2 weeks left
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2006, 07:08:37 PM »
PM Martin Threatens Notwithstanding Clause, Ignores Promise to Protect Church Rights

By Gudrun Schultz

OTTAWA, Ontario, January 10, 2006 (LifeSiteNews.com) – Prime Minister Paul Martin, who in 2003 indicated he might use the notwithstanding clause to protect churches from performing gay ‘marriages’, said last night the first act of a new Liberal government would be to remove the clause from the Constitution.

LifeSiteNews.com reported on Dec. 19, 2003 that on CBC radio Martin expressed a willingness to use the notwithstanding clause to protect churches. "I would look at it if it was a question of affirming a (religious) right," he said.

However, in the English leaders debate last night in Ottawa Martin said, “[T]he first act of a new Liberal government is going to be removing, by Constitutional means, the possibility for the federal government to use the notwithstanding clause, because quite simply, I think governance says that the courts shouldn't be overturned by politicians.”

The notwithstanding clause is an override power which allows parliament to overturn court decisions on Charter issues. 

Gwen Landolt, vice president of Real Women of Canada, said it was alarming to hear of a decision with such profound ramifications.

“The implications are frightening. The clause is there to put a control mechanism on the courts. It is beyond belief that one would allow the handpicked appointees of the courts to operate without check.”

Landolt said the Supreme Court has already altered the Constitution by writing in protection for same-sex relationships that was not originally present.

“[Such actions] are not based on law, precedent, or legal principle. They are simply from the judges’ own heads.”

Conservative leader Stephen Harper said he believes the notwithstanding clause creates a necessary balance of power between parliament and the courts.

“[T]here is a danger in saying that the courts, regardless of the decision, will always be right. Our Charter and our Constitution sets up the dialogue where there’s a balance between parliamentary supremacy and the supremacy of the courts. That’s the balance I support,” Harper said in the debate last night.

See the text of last night’s debate at:
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060109...=

See previous LifeSiteNews.com report
Martin Promises to Use Notwithstanding Clause, to allow Free Votes and Let MPs Vet Proposed Senators
http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2003/dec/03121902.html

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2006, 07:11:28 PM »
^^

Boy was that a stupid idea, sounded like Martin pulled it out of his ass during the debate. Ironic that he claims Harper wants to make Canada more like the US, but removing Section 33 would make us just like America by making the courts supreme over elected officials.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2006, 07:21:56 PM »
I think that "policy" just slipped out during the debate.  It wasn't even in the Red Book.

I'm watching this clown right now on CBC trying to cover his ass over those television ads.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2006, 07:43:35 PM »
I think that "policy" just slipped out during the debate.  It wasn't even in the Red Book.

Yeah no doubt, he's just trying to make Harper look like he'll use the nw clause to override same sex marriage even though the courts ruled that the definition of marriage was up to Parliament.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2006, 12:19:24 PM »
http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060111/elxn_dumont_conservatives_060112

i voted for this dude in the past, i would vote for him again, he's nice, got great ideas. too bad medias destroyed his image and he won't ever get the chance to get elected

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2006, 01:06:13 PM »
Ha ha , The Liberal Empire is crumbling!!!

Go Harper.

Im voting Conservative!
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2006, 02:14:14 PM »
http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060111/elxn_dumont_conservatives_060112

i voted for this dude in the past, i would vote for him again, he's nice, got great ideas. too bad medias destroyed his image and he won't ever get the chance to get elected

If I lived in Quebec he'd have my support in a heartbeat, both voting and volunteering. One of the best leaders in the country in my opinion. He should join the federal Conservatives in my opinion, he'd be able to weild a lot of influence and have a high position.

Paris

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2006, 02:14:34 PM »
Ha ha , The Liberal Empire is crumbling!!!

Go Harper.

Im voting Conservative!

Fuck yeah! Good to have you on our side Tech!

Paris

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2006, 09:03:35 AM »
6 Main things I want to see with this election

1. A Harper win, preferably a majority
2. At least 5 Tories from Quebec
3.The Bloc to obtain less than 50% of the vote
4. Martin to lose his own seat
5. Svend Robinson not win his riding
6. McLellan losing her seat

Everyone should come up with 6 things, it would be interesting to see.

Paris

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2006, 09:32:38 AM »
1. Decent status for the NDP
2. minority or majority, i want an efficient govt that wont be delayed by conflict
3. fuck michael ignatieff
4. fuck svend robinson
5. martin resigning
6. mckenna leading the liberals for the next go around
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2006, 01:54:42 PM »
1. The Conservatives win 154 seats then pick another one up somehow a week later.  (I have money on a Conservative minority but want to see a majority)
2. Ignatieff and Stronach don't win seats.
3. NDP get under 22.5 seats.
4. A free voted on safe sex marriage occurs and the traditional definition of marriage wins.  (I could really care less about this but it's amusing to see all these idiots fight over this stupid "issue")
5. Let the Greens get a seat.  (don't really care about them but I kinda fell sorry for 'em)
6. Paul Martin retires.

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2006, 02:11:59 PM »
1. a minority govt
2. NDP get a decent number of seats to have a voice in politics
3. the Bloc to get as few seats as possible
4. whoever gets elected show the west coast some love.
5. addressing the issues of these ridiculous post secondary tuition prices(these kids are the future)
6. greens to get a seat or two.

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2006, 02:16:21 PM »
1. quebec become an independant country

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2006, 03:54:22 PM »
1. a minority govt
2. NDP get a decent number of seats to have a voice in politics
3. the Bloc to get as few seats as possible
4. whoever gets elected show the west coast some love.
5. addressing the issues of these ridiculous post secondary tuition prices(these kids are the future)
6. greens to get a seat or two.

Education = Provincial responsibility.

Paris

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2006, 08:41:13 PM »
^^^o for real i didnt know that. so the govt cant do anything no matter what. so i guess all this talk of paul martin lowering tuition prices for students' first and last years of post secondary is all political bullshit? and i thought i read that the conservatives are like paying $300 for students textbooks or sumthin