Author Topic: Random, lesser known, and rarely known facts, + rumors, about L.A. Rap + culture  (Read 4248 times)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
-Word is that Detox was actually finished back in 2003, and that Dre really didn't produce many of the songs, but that he mixed them and added his touch to them all. I hear that the reason it didn't come out is because of somethin behind the scenes with the cats that really did all the beats, who are producers that are known in the rap game but not the ones who may have been expected, such as Scott Storch. I think it was regarding money that Dre was going to pay for their work on the album. I can't certify this as being 100% true, but the person who told me is definitely connected with many people in the game, including Dre.

That would have been horrible. If this was 2003 it was probably around the time the all got in The Source talking shit about Dre stealing credit.

Thats probably why mel man, neff-u(Ron Feemster), and Big Chuck left the label

R-Tistic, could you elaborate more on this?  Or is this all you know?

Well yeah, I definitely heard that Neff-U was one who did a lot of the beats on there. I am sure I'm not the only person who knows about it, and I am sure that somebody else possibly on here knows more about it than I do. Also, I donno if the album was finished as far as the rapper's verses bein on there, or if it was just the beats were all finished.

What about mel man?  did he come back to the aftermath?

I've never heard much about Mel Man so I don't even know. I saw somebody online say he did come back, but I donno the deal with that.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
very good read. btw, when is murs's album coming out? does he still live in Mid City or did he move outta the hood?

and do u still talk to the bws camp?

The one with him and 9th is comin out this year, and I think he has somethin else droppin this year too. He stays somewhere in Orange County now. Where is mom stays is actually a decent neighborhood.

I still talk to everybody on the B&W side of the camp, but I haven't talked to anybody who's part of the new BWS (Game, Phat Rat, Jerzey Devil, Cyssero, Techniec, Eastwood). I talked to Fase a few times and went over there a few times when I was in LA, and I did a track with one of their artists named Lawless. I might put it up on the net this week.

does  phat rat really have beef with brazil & wilmington? in the dvd didn't they show him living their? and why didn't G-Ride join game?  and are they really broke like Fase claims?

I donno if he has beef with them, but I am nearly positive that he's not fuckin with them, at least as far as bein sided with them. I heard that the post that said "fuck Fase" and all that was fake, but I donno if it was or not. He was livin in one of the houses on the block....him, Jerzey Devil, and Game all lived there at different periods of time. There was actually a time where Jerzey Devil and Phat Rat weren't on the best of terms, and Rat was talkin bout puttin NJD off of BWS. I donno what made certain people decide to side with Game or not, but I know G-Ride was talkin the most negative shit about Game on the BWS board. I don't really think they are "broke" meaning like no money to do anything at all, but they probably aren't ballin anything major. They still got a full studio at the spot, and they still have 100% full security as far as havin cameras around all premises. G Ride and Fase got some hooked up Magnums with suicide doors n all, G-Ride's is silver with "G Ride" on the plate and the BWS seal on the front of it, and Fase's is black.

how do those dudes make money then if game aint giving them shit?  do they have jobs or do they slang rock?

Many of em have side husltes. They are always bein watched and have even been raided so I don't see how they could be slangin rock like that, they are too visible so they gotta keep it legal. G-Ride and Fase likely got broke off from when G. Malone signed for 1.7, and they still make money from mixtapes, shirts, and other materials dealin with Game and BWS. They also have a few shops right there on the block.

Addicted To Cake

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Dwight Howard, Steve Nash, Whos Next?
so all those stories about them owning liquor stores & property on their block was all bull shit in other words.

'DsR'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
good read.

"fuck under tha influence im hella fucked up, swervin down the freeway spillin my cup"

Realbiggsteele

• Muthafuckin' OG
Damn Dawg, ur up on ur shit! Hi-C is one of the rawest niggas on these street's!

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
so all those stories about them owning liquor stores & property on their block was all bull shit in other words.

I don't think they own any of it, but they rented out a few of their houses and the stores at the corner. Fase aired that out on the board, sayin that Game didn't want to buy it because the property was too much, but he had already told the world that he owned it. I used to wonder, because they did use like 3 different houses on the street, but there were two that were closest to the dam and end of culdesac that used to have white people and hispanics comin out, and they never spoke with anybody at BWS at all. I just figured Game had bought it, and just rented it to these people, but that would be weird as hell for him to do, and you'd figure he'd let his own peeps stay in those houses too or use them for somethin you know?

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Damn Dawg, ur up on ur shit! Hi-C is one of the rawest niggas on these street's!

What up, yeah you were the first one who told me that, but some other people told me the same thing when I was back home. Remember I was like damn, Hi-C, for real? I know you said him and Tray Dee were the realest, and hearin Tray Dee didn't suprise me at all, but Hi-C never seemed to be like that even though I am just goin off a few pictures and hearin his songs.

Realbiggsteele

• Muthafuckin' OG
yeah dawg, rest assure that half of these peons screamin they hood, are busters, the quiet cool ones be puttin in the most work

ExZit

• CPG Recordz CEO
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • COMPTONS MOST WANTED
Ï heard that Barry White (RIP) was gangbangin in his younger days, from what i heard in a interview he grew up in Watts and was a blood as a yougster, can u imagine that, with his voice?  8)
- - ExZit's top 5 Albums of 2006 - - -

- - ExZit's top 5 Albums of 2005 - - -

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
i dont think he was a blood cause he became famous in the same time blood were created but maybe he was in some sort of gang. i heard that too, O.G. barry

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Here's some more that came to mind. Some that y'all know, some y'all might have heard, some that most people outside LA don't know, some that are speculation, etc. etc....

-Jay-Z's Black Album was supposed to have 14 different tracks from 14 different producers, and Dre was supposed to be one of them. For whatever reasons, Dre didn't have a track on there, and I doubt it's because Jay didn't wanna use it but most likely because Dre didn't submit it in time.

-Although it's hard for me to believe, somebody on a different message board similar to this said that Alonso from Streetgangs.com aired out WC and killed him in a debate about gangs, and that WC had actually admitted to never bein a gangbanger. The interesting thing to me is that most people, even on the streets, have always said WC was definitely from 111 Neighborhood Crip, and I have never heard anyone other than the person on the message board say anything different....but I have Low Profile's 1990 CD that had "Pay ya dues", and he was definitely speakin positive throughout most of the album, and against gangs. He had one line sayin "some claim to be a gangsta, but I don't bang", and he had a song that sounded very Public Enemy-ish speakin of how kids in the community sell dope and how it's not a good thing at all.

-LOL....Kam told me that he was at a club in Hollywood a week or so before the Rose Bowl, and that Vince Young was in there talkin major shit about how he was gonna do USC, and Kam's homeboy from Grape St. ended up talkin a lotta shit back to him and prolly woulda fought him, but Vince's teammates and probably security stepped in and prevented anything from happenin. Yeah we gotta admit that Vince did the hell outta us, but he's an idiot for comin to LA and talkin THAT MUCH shit before the game, and actin as if he could do that in Trojan Land. I wish somebody had laid him out, or at least gave him a Tonya Harding hit to the knee or somethin! J/K

-Word on the streets is.....there is really an older picture of Game throwin up Santana Blocc Crip, which is the neighborhood he lived in and spent most of his time in during high school. I donno who has it, and I could only speculate to why it hasn't hit the net. I'd just say because the people who have it probably aren't the type to just put shit on the net, or either they coulda been paid to keep it on the hush, but who knows.

-I have heard a few stories about Suge Knight, but one in particular disturbed me the most. Somebody credible in the game was in the studio with him one time, and they say that Suge forced two brothers to have sex with each other at gunpoint. I don't know what they did to him, or what they didn't do for him, but bein that I believe the person who said it happened, that shit is horrendous.

-Tyrese went to Locke High, which is located in Watts. My aunt taught him back in 94-95, and said that he never came to class because he spent all his time in the music room. This was a few years before he first appeared in that Coca Cola Commercial. She taught him Health, and gave him a D which was basically from her bein nice. He asked "is there anything I could do to raise my grade to a C?" and she told him "yeah....only if you get a crane." My mom taught Andre Miller at Verbum Dei sometime after 92, and I think he graduated in 94. She said he was always a good student and was focused, even though he didn't make the best of grades. He grew up in Watts, and his mom lives somewhere near the border of Compton and Watts but lives in a nice part (yeah, there are a few very nice areas over there).

-One reason I can never hate Shaq for any reason is because he has always been a philanthropist, even outside of the TV cameras. He paid for my Godbrother from Watts to go to college back in 97. He used to spend much of his free time over in Watts at the community center right next to Verbum Dei and around the corner from the Nickerson Gardens, and was always bringin kids gifts. When he started his clothing company TWISM, he actually built the main plant in Watts, and not outside the country like most companies do, and all the workers there were young people from Watts, Compton, and other surrounding areas. Magic Johnson has also been doing similar things in LA just as Shaq did and still does.

-Many of y'all remember this from a year and a half ago when it happened, but I met Billboard along with Phat Rat and Black Friday when they came to my house back in May 2004. A month later, Billboard was killed in the alley located behind my house. There were many retaliations that occured within the next few days, but the few people who were shot weren't even gangbangers from the neighborhood, and it happened in broad daylight on Van Ness. There have been different rumors to why it happened, but I'll probably never know the truth. I was in Florida when everything went down, but two of my best friends were right in front of my house and they heard the shots when it happened. They thought it was just fireworks because July  4 was comin up, and people in those apartments back there are always shootin fireworks. However, it only took a few hours for Billboard's people to find out, and they sprayed up those apartments. Some people may feel I am speakin too much about what went down, but everybody in my neighborhood and probably most people in Compton know all of these details, so it's nothin but a first hand story. Billboard was VERY cool and laid back, even though you could tell he had a helluva edge to him. It was always funny to me that Billboard had a MUCH bigger reputation in the streets than Game, but that he was much more outgoing and sociable to people he didn't know. Game always had an attitude when I was at his spot, and always seemed like he was mad at the world, even though his album was about to come out.

-Billboard was actually supposed to have a verse on Game's album, but it didn't make the album for some reason. There are still tracks from Billboard in the vault, but I don't know if they will ever be released.

-Most people know that Actor Merlin Santana, who played Romeo on Steve Harvey and played in that movie that was basically a "remix" of the Pac and Big story, was killed in LA. Word has it that he was set up by a female and it involved gangbangers, and that he was killed right off of Crenshaw on a Saturday night. I don't think he had any gang affiliation.

-I know many older people who either knew Tookie personally, or used to always see him around. One of my best friend's dad went to Washington High during the same time as Tookie. Washington is where Tookie and Raymond started the Crips, and that school as well as the surrounding area are still 98% crip. He told me that Tookie was one of those bullies you only saw on TV shows, and when he hit the corner where the lockers were, people were really like "OH SHIT, HERE COMES TOOKIE!!!! HIDE YOUR MONEY!!!" and he would go around jackin people for money. My other homeboy's dad told me that he used to always be at a house located near Century and Western, and he would be outside visibly liftin weights all the time with his people. My first cousin who's 51 (kinda weird since I'm 21) went to Jefferson high and lived in what I think is now Harlem 30's neighborhood right on Jefferson, and he said Tookie made his way through his neighborhood too. He said that him and the cats he rolled with all had the same build, which was funny looking because they were all massive from their waste and above, but all had skinny legs. He told me that Tookie got to the size he was (anybody who's seen pics of him when he first went in knows the deal) because he spent much time in his high school days at somethin similar to boot camp because he used to get in trouble. Overall, I found it interesting bein in LA during the time of his trial, because there were many celebrities, anti death penalty advocates, politicians, and everything inbetween who were fighting for Tookie's clemency....but if you asked the majority of 45-55 year olds who were actually around during Tookie's reign back in the 70s, nearly all of them cared less and most actually wanted him to die. Most of them feel that he is part of the reason to why the crips are as dominant and wild as they are now, and that all the stories about him startin Crips for neighborhood protection and for positive reasons were all bullshit, because he was a menace on the streets.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 03:27:20 AM by R-Tistic »

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
i dont think he was a blood cause he became famous in the same time blood were created but maybe he was in some sort of gang. i heard that too, O.G. barry

LOL yeah, I have heard many things similar to that. I think he was probably from one of those gangs that were all territorial but weren't under any crip or blood umbrella at the time. For example, The Slauson Boys was the name of a gang back in the 60s or 70s, and that is now considered to be Rollin 60 Crip. My neighborhood is now Shotgun Crips, but back in the mid 70s, it was two close-knit gangs called the Casimir Blocks and the Wilkie Boys. It is interesting that two of the main cats who started the Casimir Blocks grew up right next door to where I grew up, and their parents still live there and I always see them and their sons, and that the Wilkie Boys was started up by my homeboy's dad who grew up a few blocks over. So with Barry White, it sounds like he grew up bein from one of those kinda sets back in the 50s or 60s that ended up turnin into somethin else, but I am pretty he wasn't throwin up blood! Unless he was drunk at a party and was beefin with Marvin Gaye or somethin, which would be funny as hell to see.

ABN

naw WC was on some BET show with the guy that runs streetgangs and i´ve seen the shit. and he said that he wasn´t a gang banger and that he only claimed coz otherwise you´ll have a hard time selling records and some other dumb shit.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
naw WC was on some BET show with the guy that runs streetgangs and i´ve seen the shit. and he said that he wasn´t a gang banger and that he only claimed coz otherwise you´ll have a hard time selling records and some other dumb shit.

Damm, so that dude who said it was right. Hmm..was it Oh Drama? If so, I saw part of that episode, because my homeboy was on there. You might remember another dude bein on there who's name was Jay Rock, Jay Capone, or Baby Bear (I don't know which one they called out). He is from Shotgun Crip which is where I grew up, and he was on there talkin about how he got shot once and he decided to change his life. I didn't see the entire episode, so maybe Alonso did come on there.

And that's crazy if WC was on there sayin that, because everybody in the streets says he's really from Neighborhood 111. That's why he haid the twisted braids in his beard. Maybe he grew up under them but was never officially put on.

ABN

i don´t remember which show it was coz i only had BET for a year and this was years ago. i do remember it bein a couple of more guys there so maybe your boy was on there. maybe Dub was just an affiliate or something coz i´m pretty sure that a couple of my cousins friends from LA has said that he has a brother that is/was pretty serious in the streets. dunno why someone would go on a network that´s aired WW and admit that though but maybe he just grew up and realized that that shit is just childish. and it´s weird coz i´ve heard peeps shout out Dub and naming his set and just recently Game did that on G-Unit Crips but i´ve heard other rappers do it aswell.