Author Topic: Random, lesser known, and rarely known facts, + rumors, about L.A. Rap + culture  (Read 4252 times)

Sikotic™

Yo those are some dope facts man. My mom used to live out in Gardena when she was in her teens. She tols me some stories about Tookie back in the day and how everyone was hopin he would get locked up or killed. Props man.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
Yo those are some dope facts man. My mom used to live out in Gardena when she was in her teens. She tols me some stories about Tookie back in the day and how everyone was hopin he would get locked up or killed. Props man.

LOL damn that's crazy, that's how it sounded though. What neighborhood did she live in? She proobably went to school with some of my people's parents.

The Watcher

i dont know if that stuff about jay-z's album is true about bein 14 tracks, I have an advert for it in a magazine sitting in my closet somewhere which says "12 tracks, 12 different producers.." and this was just after it was announced
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

DatNiggaDazisBack

• 'G'
Here's some more that came to mind. Some that y'all know, some y'all might have heard, some that most people outside LA don't know, some that are speculation, etc. etc....

-Jay-Z's Black Album was supposed to have 14 different tracks from 14 different producers, and Dre was supposed to be one of them. For whatever reasons, Dre didn't have a track on there, and I doubt it's because Jay didn't wanna use it but most likely because Dre didn't submit it in time.

-Although it's hard for me to believe, somebody on a different message board similar to this said that Alonso from Streetgangs.com aired out WC and killed him in a debate about gangs, and that WC had actually admitted to never bein a gangbanger. The interesting thing to me is that most people, even on the streets, have always said WC was definitely from 111 Neighborhood Crip, and I have never heard anyone other than the person on the message board say anything different....but I have Low Profile's 1990 CD that had "Pay ya dues", and he was definitely speakin positive throughout most of the album, and against gangs. He had one line sayin "some claim to be a gangsta, but I don't bang", and he had a song that sounded very Public Enemy-ish speakin of how kids in the community sell dope and how it's not a good thing at all.

-LOL....Kam told me that he was at a club in Hollywood a week or so before the Rose Bowl, and that Vince Young was in there talkin major shit about how he was gonna do USC, and Kam's homeboy from Grape St. ended up talkin a lotta shit back to him and prolly woulda fought him, but Vince's teammates and probably security stepped in and prevented anything from happenin. Yeah we gotta admit that Vince did the hell outta us, but he's an idiot for comin to LA and talkin THAT MUCH shit before the game, and actin as if he could do that in Trojan Land. I wish somebody had laid him out, or at least gave him a Tonya Harding hit to the knee or somethin! J/K

-Word on the streets is.....there is really an older picture of Game throwin up Santana Blocc Crip, which is the neighborhood he lived in and spent most of his time in during high school. I donno who has it, and I could only speculate to why it hasn't hit the net. I'd just say because the people who have it probably aren't the type to just put shit on the net, or either they coulda been paid to keep it on the hush, but who knows.

-I have heard a few stories about Suge Knight, but one in particular disturbed me the most. Somebody credible in the game was in the studio with him one time, and they say that Suge forced two brothers to have sex with each other at gunpoint. I don't know what they did to him, or what they didn't do for him, but bein that I believe the person who said it happened, that shit is horrendous.

-Tyrese went to Locke High, which is located in Watts. My aunt taught him back in 94-95, and said that he never came to class because he spent all his time in the music room. This was a few years before he first appeared in that Coca Cola Commercial. She taught him Health, and gave him a D which was basically from her bein nice. He asked "is there anything I could do to raise my grade to a C?" and she told him "yeah....only if you get a crane." My mom taught Andre Miller at Verbum Dei sometime after 92, and I think he graduated in 94. She said he was always a good student and was focused, even though he didn't make the best of grades. He grew up in Watts, and his mom lives somewhere near the border of Compton and Watts but lives in a nice part (yeah, there are a few very nice areas over there).

-One reason I can never hate Shaq for any reason is because he has always been a philanthropist, even outside of the TV cameras. He paid for my Godbrother from Watts to go to college back in 97. He used to spend much of his free time over in Watts at the community center right next to Verbum Dei and around the corner from the Nickerson Gardens, and was always bringin kids gifts. When he started his clothing company TWISM, he actually built the main plant in Watts, and not outside the country like most companies do, and all the workers there were young people from Watts, Compton, and other surrounding areas. Magic Johnson has also been doing similar things in LA just as Shaq did and still does.

-Many of y'all remember this from a year and a half ago when it happened, but I met Billboard along with Phat Rat and Black Friday when they came to my house back in May 2004. A month later, Billboard was killed in the alley located behind my house. There were many retaliations that occured within the next few days, but the few people who were shot weren't even gangbangers from the neighborhood, and it happened in broad daylight on Van Ness. There have been different rumors to why it happened, but I'll probably never know the truth. I was in Florida when everything went down, but two of my best friends were right in front of my house and they heard the shots when it happened. They thought it was just fireworks because July  4 was comin up, and people in those apartments back there are always shootin fireworks. However, it only took a few hours for Billboard's people to find out, and they sprayed up those apartments. Some people may feel I am speakin too much about what went down, but everybody in my neighborhood and probably most people in Compton know all of these details, so it's nothin but a first hand story. Billboard was VERY cool and laid back, even though you could tell he had a helluva edge to him. It was always funny to me that Billboard had a MUCH bigger reputation in the streets than Game, but that he was much more outgoing and sociable to people he didn't know. Game always had an attitude when I was at his spot, and always seemed like he was mad at the world, even though his album was about to come out.

-Billboard was actually supposed to have a verse on Game's album, but it didn't make the album for some reason. There are still tracks from Billboard in the vault, but I don't know if they will ever be released.

-Most people know that Actor Merlin Santana, who played Romeo on Steve Harvey and played in that movie that was basically a "remix" of the Pac and Big story, was killed in LA. Word has it that he was set up by a female and it involved gangbangers, and that he was killed right off of Crenshaw on a Saturday night. I don't think he had any gang affiliation.

-I know many older people who either knew Tookie personally, or used to always see him around. One of my best friend's dad went to Washington High during the same time as Tookie. Washington is where Tookie and Raymond started the Crips, and that school as well as the surrounding area are still 98% crip. He told me that Tookie was one of those bullies you only saw on TV shows, and when he hit the corner where the lockers were, people were really like "OH SHIT, HERE COMES TOOKIE!!!! HIDE YOUR MONEY!!!" and he would go around jackin people for money. My other homeboy's dad told me that he used to always be at a house located near Century and Western, and he would be outside visibly liftin weights all the time with his people. My first cousin who's 51 (kinda weird since I'm 21) went to Jefferson high and lived in what I think is now Harlem 30's neighborhood right on Jefferson, and he said Tookie made his way through his neighborhood too. He said that him and the cats he rolled with all had the same build, which was funny looking because they were all massive from their waste and above, but all had skinny legs. He told me that Tookie got to the size he was (anybody who's seen pics of him when he first went in knows the deal) because he spent much time in his high school days at somethin similar to boot camp because he used to get in trouble. Overall, I found it interesting bein in LA during the time of his trial, because there were many celebrities, anti death penalty advocates, politicians, and everything inbetween who were fighting for Tookie's clemency....but if you asked the majority of 45-55 year olds who were actually around during Tookie's reign back in the 70s, nearly all of them cared less and most actually wanted him to die. Most of them feel that he is part of the reason to why the crips are as dominant and wild as they are now, and that all the stories about him startin Crips for neighborhood protection and for positive reasons were all bullshit, because he was a menace on the streets.

Damn was those two brothers rappers?  That's scandalous of Suge mayne.

Billboard was probably the real g, they say his cousin in law was almost killed too k9?

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
i dont know if that stuff about jay-z's album is true about bein 14 tracks, I have an advert for it in a magazine sitting in my closet somewhere which says "12 tracks, 12 different producers.." and this was just after it was announced

Well that's what it was then, I was thinkin 14 since the final album had 14 tracks. But yeah, Dre was one of the 12, and Primo might have been too.

reggie bush

• Lil Geezy
if crips & bloods don't wear khakis and chucks what do they wear then?

ABN

if crips & bloods don't wear khakis and chucks what do they wear then?
just coz they bangers they can´t wear the same shit as the next nigga?

'EclipZe

woa readed it all props on that r-tistic sum nice facts + rumors

DPG4Life

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
-J. Wells is not from L.A....he's actually from somewhere in the south or either Chicago. Jelly Roll is also from the south...I think Alabama.
nope, jelly roll is from the mid-west, i think it was kentucky, but not 100% sure - but I AM 100% sure that hes from the mid-west - doenst behave like a guy from the south anyway...
better not post any "i think" things... no offense, but why did you even put it to your list unless you wasnt even sure about it? ::)
this may make one wonder how well the rest has been researched :-\ ::)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 03:50:08 PM by DPG4Life »

We Fly High

jelly roll is from oklahoma

DPG4Life

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
in the internet oklahoma is reffered being south aswell as midwest, but when i think about the dirty south - crunk south, im definately not thinking about oklahoma,or am i wrong?
and im remembering an interview jelly did, where he said that he's a midwest dude - so thats where i got it from

GangstaBoogy

speakin of billboard, did anyone else find it weird how game NEVER looked into the camera when standing next to billboard? he would just look at the ground or stare the opposite direction
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
-J. Wells is not from L.A....he's actually from somewhere in the south or either Chicago. Jelly Roll is also from the south...I think Alabama.
nope, jelly roll is from the mid-west, i think it was kentucky, but not 100% sure - but I AM 100% sure that hes from the mid-west - doenst behave like a guy from the south anyway...
better not post any "i think" things... no offense, but why did you even put it to your list unless you wasnt even sure about it? ::)
this may make one wonder how well the rest has been researched :-\ ::)

Well that's why I say rumors as well as facts, and me sayin "I think" is my speculation, which is usually never far off from the truth. I never said anything major like "I think Dre is going to get Suge killed", it was usually over the less important facts. If I had titled it "cold hard facts" and said "I think...." then it might be a contradiction, but I clarified everything I knew for fact and everything that is just speculated and that I wasn't sure on. And I never mind bein corrected, it's not like I'm puttin these on a major news website and reportin it as facts.

reggie bush

• Lil Geezy
whats the dress code for gangsters in LA for 2006?

nibs

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aco forever
whats the dress code for gangsters in LA for 2006?

reggie bush was wearing a 'p' hat at a news conference before the rose bowl.  i always wondered about his choice in head gear.
"a four letter word is going out to every single enemy" - kam