Author Topic: Proposal to fight AIDS angers local Catholic priest  (Read 113 times)

K A I N

Proposal to fight AIDS angers local Catholic priest
« on: January 11, 2006, 10:24:42 AM »
 Carry a condom, Colombian town tells men
Proposal to fight AIDS angers local Catholic priest

BOGOTA, Colombia (Reuters) -- A western Colombian town has angered the influential Catholic Church with a novel scheme to cut AIDS infections, threatening males over age 14 with fines if they fail to carry a condom.

Young men in the community, most of whom start having sex at about age 15, according to a poll, should carry condoms just as they have to carry identification cards, Tulua town councilman William Pena told El Tiempo newspaper.

Those who fail to show a condom would have to pay a small fine or take a three-hour course in AIDS prevention in Tulua, where 14 people died of sexually transmitted diseases last year.

"This is a country with a lot of sexual activity and Tulua is no exception," Pena told El Tiempo. "This measure would not oblige anyone to have sex, only to protect themselves."

Father Jesus Velasquez of the local Catholic church said he wouldn't let the measure pass without a fight, comparing it to "selling guns in the streets."

"What is required is education and respect for moral and Christian values," he said.

51 cent

• 'G'
Re: Proposal to fight AIDS angers local Catholic priest
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 10:48:12 AM »
Whoa. At least they'll be travelling safely.  Coudl you imagine how bunk you'd feel if you had to carry a condom around and never got to have sex though?  Like "I've been carrying this freaking condom around for seven years, where the honeys??" 

"Aight, new drink..."

K A I N

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 10:59:49 AM »
Whoa. At least they'll be travelling safely.  Coudl you imagine how bunk you'd feel if you had to carry a condom around and never got to have sex though?  Like "I've been carrying this freaking condom around for seven years, where the honeys??" 

lol

Sikotic™

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 05:00:19 PM »
LMAO @ it's like selling guns. Then again, handing out fines to guys for not carrying condoms is kinda harsh too.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE