Author Topic: Cam article in NYT- calls Purple Haze one of best albums of decade  (Read 409 times)

J Bananas

DA QUESTION IS, WILL CAM EVER REACH PLATINUM STATUS, OR IS HE TOO ILL FOR DA MAINSTREAM?

Check out da praise for killa:

"Cam'ron is a Harlem native whose surreal swagger makes other rappers seem downright diffident. And he ended last year with a disappointment. His fourth album, "Purple Haze" (Roc-a-Fella/Island Def Jam), hit stores on Dec. 7, 2004, even though his record label hadn't yet found a hit single. Sales were slow, and the album seemed to get lost in the end-of-year rush. This year, Roc-a-Fella disintegrated and Cam'ron (who had never been close with Jay-Z, the new president) left, eventually signing with Atlantic. "Purple Haze" could have wound up just one more major-label misfire.

Could have, that is, if it hadn't been one of the greatest hip-hop albums New York has produced this decade. It's full of gruff but nonsensical tongue-twisters and jokes that get funnier the more you listen. All year long, people seemed to be discovering it. (Last week, the indie Web site Pitchfork ranked "Purple Haze" No. 9 on its list of albums of the year.) According to Nielsen SoundScan it has sold a respectable half-million copies. Even without a huge promotional push, some radio stations played "Down and Out," a song from the album featuring Kanye West, turning it into a minor hit.

In a city bereft of stars, Cam'ron looms that much larger. His crew, the Diplomats, keeps pumping out mixtapes; his protégé, Juelz Santana, released an entertaining album, "What the Game's Been Missing!" (Diplomats/Roc-a-Fella/Island Def Jam), which made him one of the most popular rappers in a city that used to have more. Cam'ron himself contributed an astonishing 28-bar verse to Kanye West's most recent CD. And his reputation only improved after a recent incident in Washington, when gunmen opened fire on his famous blue Lamborghini; true to form, Cam'ron drove himself to the hospital and, according to Juelz Santana, declined to cooperate with the investigation.

Cam'ron addresses the shooting on "The Title Stays in Harlem" (dipsetmixtapes.com), a Diplomats mixtape that proves he's still the best rapper in New York. "I been hibernating," he announces, before explaining that his assailants were jealous of his Lamborghini: "They mad my car's like a elephant: the trunk in the front." (He's obsessed with animals, as he has proved dozens of times.) In a song called "Love My Life," he gives admirers some friendly advice: "If you happen to brush shoulders with me, play Lotto; 9 outta 10 times you gon' win."

West Coast Veteran

Re: Cam article in NYT- calls Purple Haze one of best albums of decade
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 10:27:18 PM »
I like Cam (NO HOMO) but I don't think it was a great album. Come Home With Me was better, SDE was his best so far.

Killa Season looks like it's gonna be dope. Every track released has been hot and I haven't heard his "rooty tooty the shit I usually do" on any of those songs. "Love My Life" is in rotation daily too.

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 10:31:41 PM »
i thought it was incredible

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 10:33:33 PM »
best Album of the year!  8)

The Best of 3 Worlds

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 10:36:37 PM »
"Purple Haze" was the best album of 2004 by far
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

eKardz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I bleed red white and blue, I am a New York Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 10:45:23 PM »
purple haze was fuckin sick.  not best of 2004.  the best was Royce da 5'9" Death is Certain, followed by R.A. The Rugged Man - Die Rugged Man Die

this album was crazy though.  only pushed half a mil wit no promotion.  not a bad job by cam, them dips kno how to gring

One Eyed Willy

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • DIPSET
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 12:33:29 AM »
"Purple Haze" was the best album of 2004 by far

chea chea chea

Gangstauu

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FC Utrecht 4 Life
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 07:25:46 AM »
i thought it was pure shit  :D

One day everything is gonna be fine
But until that day my only reply "westside till I die"  -TQ

West Up

Utreg 4 Life

J Bananas

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 08:31:58 AM »
i thought it was pure shit  :D

TOO ILL FOR DA MAINSTREAM

Knoshen

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • bitches=WE$T COA$T- J Bananas-El trauma =Bitch
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 10:34:24 AM »

DA QUESTION IS, WILL CAM EVER REACH PLATINUM STATUS, OR IS HE TOO ILL FOR DA MAINSTREAM?

"Cam'ron is a Harlem native whose surreal swagger makes other rappers seem downright diffident. And he ended last year with a disappointment. His fourth album, "Purple Haze" (Roc-a-Fella/Island Def Jam), hit stores on Dec. 7, 2004, even though his record label hadn't yet found a hit single. Sales were slow, and the album seemed to get lost in the end-of-year rush. This year, Roc-a-Fella disintegrated and Cam'ron (who had never been close with Jay-Z, the new president) left, eventually signing with Atlantic. "Purple Haze" could have wound up just one more major-label misfire.

Could have, that is, if it hadn't been one of the greatest hip-hop albums New York has produced this decade. It's full of gruff but nonsensical tongue-twisters and jokes that get funnier the more you listen. All year long, people seemed to be discovering it. (Last week, the indie Web site Pitchfork ranked "Purple Haze" No. 9 on its list of albums of the year.) According to Nielsen SoundScan it has sold a respectable half-million copies. Even without a huge promotional push, some radio stations played "Down and Out," a song from the album featuring Kanye West, turning it into a minor hit.

In a city bereft of stars, Cam'ron looms that much larger. His crew, the Diplomats, keeps pumping out mixtapes; his protégé, Juelz Santana, released an entertaining album, "What the Game's Been Missing!" (Diplomats/Roc-a-Fella/Island Def Jam), which made him one of the most popular rappers in a city that used to have more. Cam'ron himself contributed an astonishing 28-bar verse to Kanye West's most recent CD. And his reputation only improved after a recent incident in Washington, when gunmen opened fire on his famous blue Lamborghini; true to form, Cam'ron drove himself to the hospital and, according to Juelz Santana, declined to cooperate with the investigation.

Cam'ron addresses the shooting on "The Title Stays in Harlem" (dipsetmixtapes.com), a Diplomats mixtape that proves he's still the best rapper in New York. "I been hibernating," he announces, before explaining that his assailants were jealous of his Lamborghini: "They mad my car's like a elephant: the trunk in the front." (He's obsessed with animals, as he has proved dozens of times.) In a song called "Love My Life," he gives admirers some friendly advice: "If you happen to brush shoulders with me, play Lotto; 9 outta 10 times you gon' win."
why you wasting time listening to those fuckin clows you bitch, and why do u have to keep on making threads about your love for camron

are you so insecure withyourself you have to praise that pink bitch made nigga to make yourself feel like your a part of something

u maddd?????????

macknlatin36

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 12:40:55 PM »
album was iight and withought a doubt had some phat beats but i wouldnt consider it a classic especially since it was suppose to be originally released like 2000 or 2001.

Theres no real plot to his rapping except just jibba jabba.  He's alright and doing some original things (making pink and purple fashionalble... ::) ) but i dont see him being one of the greatest.  And, for any reason any one says he is, its only because they were brain washed like jay-z fanatics.

Without a doubt the Cam's got my repect in hitting the beats but they pretty much just get their voices to go along with the beat and not even rap.

so i finish with....

DIP SHIT BITCH
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 12:43:06 PM by macknlatin36 »

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 04:15:22 AM »
LMAOOO seriously what is it with dipset fans?
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 04:57:27 AM »
Fuck these dipset homosexuals mang!

K A I N

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 04:59:20 AM »
Dipset Bitch  8)

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 02:30:15 PM »

why you wasting time listening to those fuckin clows you bitch, and why do u have to keep on making threads about your love for camron

are you so insecure withyourself you have to praise that pink bitch made nigga to make yourself feel like your a part of something

u maddd?????????

Funny How when people Diss Killa they always gotta bring up the Pink, Its cuz they all know Killas the man so they gotta talk about what he wears.
DIPSET BITCH!!  8)

The Best of 3 Worlds