Author Topic: Questions for British Columbians  (Read 163 times)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Questions for British Columbians
« on: March 10, 2006, 01:52:57 PM »
I'm thinking of going to BC for a summer. Between school years besides this summer I'd like to spend a summer in a few different provinces but I have some questions:

What's an area where students are often hired full time for the four month period?
Are they any places with a large Francophone community?
What's the tax rate like?
What's the pay like?
High rent for apartments?

Thanks in advance.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

chronic01

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • StR8 Westcoast
Re: Questions for British Columbians
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 02:19:06 PM »
you could probably find a job in construction pretty easily since construction for 2010 is going on now right here
francophone none that i can think off really
14% tax on goods 7% foods (it really sucks)
its decent i guess construction workers are making 18 - 20 bucks an hour if ur good
u cna find some decent apartments in good places for like 600 bucks a month

Suga Foot

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 02:44:03 PM »
I'm thinking of going to BC for a summer. Between school years besides this summer I'd like to spend a summer in a few different provinces but I have some questions:

What's an area where students are often hired full time for the four month period?
Are they any places with a large Francophone community?
What's the tax rate like?
What's the pay like?
High rent for apartments?

Thanks in advance.

Students can easily find jobs painting houses or moving, but like chronic01 said, if you have any type of construction skills, you can pretty much walk onto a construction site and start working that day (I know people who have done it).  You could probaby do landscaping too.

As far as french people:

British Columbia is, geographically, the farthest-removed province from Canada's historic francophone population, thus it is not surprising to find that francophone British Columbians are few in number. The 2001 census placed the number of British Columbians with French as a mother tongue at 54,400, a figure well below English (2,825,780), 'other Chinese' (130,330), Cantonese (127,120), Punjabi (121,740) and German (84,605). Of these, a good number would be European immigrants or migrants from eastern Canada, and therefore not members of the Franco-Columbian community per se.

Nevertheless, there is a small, proud community with visible roots in such locations as Maillardville, a district of the Vancouver suburb of Coquitlam identifying itself as "a community with a francophone heart."
http://www.maillardville.com/

I live near Maillardville, and if I didn't tell you it was french, you wouldn't know.

Tax is like chronic01 said

Pay in construction is good, you could live on your own off the wages.  But if you had a minimum wage job, you'd probably need a roomate.

Apartments all around town are about the same price, but they jump way up once you hit downtown/uptown/kits area. basement suites are probably a better bet, they're cheaper and usually include utilities. 

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 03:06:49 PM »
Thanks guys.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 03:21:47 PM »
I was born in Victoria BC, then my parents moved back here to Windsor when i was 2 so i don't remember shit. I've considered shanking them for many years based on that decision j/p, or maybe i'm not subconsciencely  :nahnah2:

chill
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 03:27:46 PM »
I was born in Victoria BC, then my parents moved back here to Windsor when i was 2 so i don't remember shit. I've considered shanking them for many years based on that decision j/p, or maybe i'm not subconsciencely  :nahnah2:

chill

Lol, my grandmother was from Windsor, it seems like an alright place the few times I've been there.

Paris

Suga Foot

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 07:14:54 PM »

chill

Victoria is a really boring place.  The whole island is full of old people.