Author Topic: problems with car sound system  (Read 107 times)

Matty

problems with car sound system
« on: March 12, 2006, 08:30:51 AM »
ok yesterday im driving down the motorway giving the new e-40 a spin and in the middle of a track my bass cuts out completely. i wait till i get home to check things out. the sub starts working again but its not producing hardly any bass and making this really nasty rattling sound that it wasn't making when it initially cut out. it wasn't the fuse for the power supply as i replaced that straight away and my speakers that are powered by the head unit are all still working. so it seems like my sub is fucked but how could that happen so suddenly its pissed me off no end cause the sub and the amp are the same wattage and i haven't had it all that long.

could anyone who knows a lil about sound systems maybe give a diagnosis cause im still praying its a connection problem or something but it all seems a bit random :'( thanks guys

Don Seer

Re: problems with car sound system
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 09:47:44 AM »

check the earth is good..

Ðøšïå

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 10:37:54 AM »
you were probably clipping the shit outta your subs and they blew. if you press on them do they move or are they "frozen".

Matty

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 10:46:38 AM »
they dont move very much they just rattle really violently if i have it loud...couldn't see anything wrong when i took the speaker out the box so it seems like the problem is internal and im guessing unfixable ;( i just dont see how it could of blown when the amp isn't giving it more power than it could have handled...think the amp is 500 watt and the sub 600......

Ðøšïå

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 10:53:10 AM »
you can blow a sub with a 300 watt amp if it is a 600 watt sub. so do they still produce sound or is it dull?

coola

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 10:54:36 AM »
you blew the fucker... no doubt.

Matty

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 10:57:57 AM »
they don't produce any bass now just the loud rattle. i just went out without any bass, man this sucks, gonna get a sony one when i replace it as the amp and head unit are sony. i pumped it plenty loud but definitely not full volume. i thought a kenwood sub would last, obviously not, i blame lil jon...tell me when to go = tell me when to blow :'(
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 11:00:48 AM by Matty »

coola

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 11:06:52 AM »
dont buy sony... buy some real subs, kicker, or rockford fosgate... JL audio makes good subs too.

Suga Foot

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 12:12:55 PM »
I had an old phoenix gold, and it would always stick in.  The magnet would just hold it, so I'd have to take it out and slam it on the ground a few times lol

btw, if you get a new sub, get an audiobahn, it's got a lifetime warranty, so even if you blow it, you can just take it back and get a new one.

Matty

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 12:23:13 PM »
thanks for the words guys, will make sure i get a much better sub when i replace it as they aint that expensive and i can put it in the same box and im ready to go again. guess your standard subs aren't ready for westcoast enthusiasts to pump their stuff all the time... i kept playing knocturnal i like pretty much constantly and i think the e-40 cd was the last straw for it

Ðøšïå

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 12:35:41 PM »
I had an old phoenix gold, and it would always stick in.  The magnet would just hold it, so I'd have to take it out and slam it on the ground a few times lol

btw, if you get a new sub, get an audiobahn, it's got a lifetime warranty, so even if you blow it, you can just take it back and get a new one.

audiobahn is ass. stay away from them.

i havnt been paying attention to what subs are in and what are out nowadays but some places to check out would be www.reaudio.com www.adireaudio.com www.elementaldesigns.com http://www.soundsplinter.com/ http://www.ascendantaudio.com/index.html

and then of course you can get your fosgates, kickers, or jl audios.