Author Topic: The Official Los Angeles Dodgers Thread  (Read 23700 times)

DipsetGeneral

Re: The Official 2006 Los Angeles Dodgers Thread
« Reply #300 on: August 25, 2006, 06:26:48 PM »
Big series against the Diamondbacks. We need a sweep here and the Rockies need to beat San Diego. Time to end the losing streak. The game starts at 6:40 I can't wait.

Yeah big series! I was thrilled w/ the Giants play of late until their heartbreaking loss last night to Cincy.  We need to beat the Reds the next 3 games!

Yeah man you guys have picked your game up as of late...You will need to be more or less perfect for the rest of the season though to have a shot at the postseason.

Yeah we are playing good we just cant beat LA :'(      It's very unlikely that we will make the postseason but there is still a chance.

rik

« Reply #301 on: August 27, 2006, 08:51:00 PM »
Dodgers win again today. That makes it two in a row.  8)

We are now two games ahead of San Diego.

We start a big three game series against the Reds tomorrow.

DipsetGeneral

« Reply #302 on: August 27, 2006, 09:09:03 PM »
Watch out for the G-Men!!!!! All of a sudden we have won 11 of the last 14 and we are right back in it!! Yeah I watched the LA game today on the internet, the Dbacks looked terrible alotof mental mistakes at the plate and they hit in alot of double plays when the game was on the line.

rik

« Reply #303 on: August 28, 2006, 10:46:13 PM »
Another win, that's three in a row! We are now three games ahead of SD in the standings. :pimp:

DipsetGeneral

« Reply #304 on: August 29, 2006, 12:01:01 AM »
^^Im gonna say it again.  WATCH OUT FOR THE G-MEN!!!

WestCoasta

« Reply #305 on: August 29, 2006, 12:02:48 AM »
you talkin about the gay men?

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #306 on: August 29, 2006, 01:17:50 PM »
^ lol

dodgers are going to take this division i'm conifident in that, the only team that has a chance of taking it from us is the padres and that's a big MAYBE. Giants .....yeah they're streaking but that's just what they are streaky they can't maintain the intensity.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

rik

« Reply #307 on: August 30, 2006, 09:14:08 AM »
Dodgers get the win in dramatic fashion last night. Ramon Martinez gets the walk off home run in the 15th inning last night.  :o

Our lead in the West stays at three. We now have a four game winnin streak. Lowe came in for three innings of relief and gets the win. Which is a good sign that he is not injured and expects to make is regular start on Friday.

In other new the Dodger have been said to be inquiring about David Wells. If he we get him that means that wack ass Hendrickson will be moved to the bullben or get sent down.

Here's an article of last night game:
http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20060830&content_id=1635866&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=la

LAKERS_FAN89

The Official Los Angeles Dodgers.
« Reply #308 on: March 03, 2007, 03:38:36 PM »
Loney exploring new frontiers for LA
First baseman learning outfield in effort to help big-league club
By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com 

James Loney has been working hard to add outfield skills to his repertoire. (Jon SooHoo/Dodgers)
Dodgers Headlines

VERO BEACH, Fla. -- He wins a Triple-A batting title and has nothing left to prove down there.
But when he arrives at Dodgertown the following Spring Training, he finds first base occupied by a wildly popular All-Star that isn't moving. So the bosses give him an outfielder's glove and tell him if he learns the position, he might make it to the big leagues faster.

James Loney, meet Mike Marshall (the outfielder).

Twenty-five years ago, a scenario nearly identical to the one Loney currently faces unfolded for Marshall, only worse. Marshall not only brought to Vero Beach a Minor League batting title (.373), in 1981 he also led the Pacific Coast League in home runs (34) and RBIs (137), becoming the league's first Triple Crown winner in 25 years.

Like Loney, Marshall was added to the postseason roster after a September callup. But his path to the Major Leagues was blocked by Steve Garvey, and the next Spring Training, manager Tom Lasorda and his coaching staff would keep the lights on at Holman Stadium while they hit fly balls to Marshall until dusk in a crash course on outfield play. Loney, a natural first baseman, has been taking fly balls in the outfield this spring.

"There are a lot of similarities," said Lasorda, now the Dodgers' special advisor to the president. "It was a dilemma, but for the club, it was a good dilemma to have."

For the player, though, maybe it's not so good.

Marshall not only didn't make the Dodgers' 25-man roster that spring, when he got back to Albuquerque, his first-base job had been given to Greg Brock, the first left-handed-hitting power prospect to come through the farm system in years, but one who lacked the athleticism to play any another position.

General manager Al Campanis decided that Marshall was more versatile. He was initially tried at third base before settling in the outfield, where he spent most of a 10-year Major League career that included two World Series rings but left many -- particularly him -- wondering what might have been.

"It took me until '84 to recover from being moved off first base," said Marshall, who now manages Yuma in the independent Golden League. "If I had it to do over again, I'd have made a bigger stink about going to the outfield. I'd be concerned if I was the kid. It will be interesting to see how he handles it."

So far, Loney is handling it the way Marshall did, saying the right things and doing what he's told.

"I can see how it was tough for him in that position," Loney said of Marshall, "but for me, the outfield will open up more options and make me more versatile."

Outfield experience did get Marshall to the big leagues in 1982 as a replacement when utilityman Derrel Thomas broke his ankle. Marshall took over right field in 1983.

Loney's in a tougher jam, now that first baseman Nomar Garciaparra has a new two-year contract and the outfield appears loaded with Luis Gonzalez, Juan Pierre and Andre Ethier starting, Jason Repko the versatile backup, and Matt Kemp on the cusp.

"People say I've got nothing to prove going back [to Triple-A]," Loney said. "I thought I was real consistent throughout the season. If I'm not in the mix here, there could be a trade. What I want is to be around to help the team win. That's the No. 1 priority."

Loney hit .380 last season at Las Vegas. Including time spent replacing the injured Garciaparra, Loney played 48 games with the Dodgers in the regular season. He hit .284 with four homers and 18 RBIs, but one monster game at Coors Field accounted for half of his home run and RBI totals. He then went 3-for-4 against the Mets in the playoffs.

Loney spent a month playing winter ball in the Dominican Republic and monitored general manager Ned Colletti's roster moves, while not obsessing over them.

"I saw they re-signed Nomar and I heard my name in rumors with Boston about Manny [Ramirez]," said the 22-year-old former first-round pick. "Obviously, I want to help the big-league team, and obviously they've got a tough call to make. I got here in the right frame of mind, and I'll put up my numbers and see where it goes."

Marshall was a powerful right-handed hitter with average speed and above-average first-base defensive skills. Loney is more of a line-drive left-handed hitter, although his power is increasing, as demonstrated by that nine-RBI game at Coors Field last year. Defensively, he's so smooth that many feel he could become a Gold Glove first baseman.

In the outfield, he said he's comfortable enough tracking fly balls, but his game appearances are only a handful. His running speed is maybe average once he gets going, and he worked with a speed trainer over the winter to develop better acceleration.

With Marlon Anderson the only left-handed hitter on the projected Dodgers bench, Loney might make the Opening Day roster as much for being left-handed as anything. As for returning to Triple-A, Loney would rather not even think about it.

"I'm just trying to get ready for the season and not focusing on [making the team], because I can't control it," he said. "A lot of guys are in the same boat."

LAKERS_FAN89

Re: The Official Los Angeles Dodgers.
« Reply #309 on: March 03, 2007, 03:42:51 PM »
Notes: Roster hopefuls impressive
Bigbie the hitting star, White shines in relief in Dodgers' win
By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com 

Larry Bigbie is trying to rebound from a foot fracture in 2006 and surgery for a hernia that had been bothering him for two years. (Jon SooHoo/Dodgers)
Dodgers Headlines

VERO BEACH, Fla. -- Jason Schmidt threw two scoreless innings Friday, but the $47 million free agent's Dodgers debut was overshadowed by a pair of non-roster players fighting for career survival.
Outfielder Larry Bigbie was the hitting star in a 12-7 win over Washington with two homers, a double and five RBIs, while reliever Matt White looked like a billion dollars retiring all four batters he faced with a strikeout.

Bigbie is trying to cash in on a return to health, while White set aside the commotion stirred from his sudden off-the-field wealth to set down the Nationals. Bigbie, once a starting outfielder for Baltimore, dealt with a foot fracture in 2006 and surgery for a hernia that had been bothering him for two years.

"This is great, but it's one day," said Bigbie, who also homered in Wednesday's intrasquad game. "I was with the Cardinals last year and watched them win the World Series, and it kind of hurt watching, but it lights a fire to get back and be part of that."

Although the Dodgers' outfield appears set with starters Luis Gonzalez, Juan Pierre and Andre Ethier and reserve Jason Repko, Bigbie could force his way onto the bench with continued power from the left side. The only established left-handed hitter likely to make the club, Marlon Anderson, is nursing a sore elbow. James Loney, who also bats left-handed and is in contention for a bench role, had a two-run double.

"This guy's got a lot of talent," manager Grady Little said of Bigbie. "He's just had a series of bad injuries. For a new guy, he's certainly put himself on the map in a strong way early in camp. A lot of things can happen in a month."

Bigbie has been under the radar in this camp, while the media have been in scramble mode over White, a sudden international celebrity since word of his 12-million-ton rock quarry made the rounds, from CNN to CNBC to the Associated Press and soon to be featured in the New York Times.

He showed in this game, as he said a few days earlier, that he can also pitch.

"Regardless of whatever is happening outside baseball, I'm being evaluated every day on pitching, and it's been up to me to keep my focus and get batters out," White said. "I hope all this dies down. I never signed up for all this, for it to take off like it has, my head is spinning. I never wanted it to become a distraction."

White might be a longer shot to make the Opening Day roster than Bigbie because of pitching staff depth, but there's always a place for a left-handed pitcher who can get outs. White doesn't throw hard, but he's added a sidearm delivery, still has an effective slider and he's confident enough despite bouncing around for a decade.

"He's got decent stuff and he's not scared to challenge any hitter," said Little, who managed White briefly in Boston in 2003. "It didn't look like the distractions affected him."

Speaking of distractions: Joe Beimel made his first game appearance since his regrettable bar injury helped undermine the Dodgers' playoff chances last year.

Beimel allowed two hits, but pitched a scoreless ninth inning with the assistance of a double-play grounder. Although he pitched well enough last year to more than double his salary and would seemingly have a spot on the staff, he said he's not taking anything for granted.

"I thought I had a job with the Pirates in '04 after three straight years there, and they cut me the day they would have had to guarantee my contract," said Beimel. "This is definitely a different situation, but I went in relaxed that spring, hurt my back, tried to come back too soon and didn't pitch well. I don't think I'm taking Spring Training lightly."

Beimel wrapped up 5 1/3 scoreless innings by Dodgers relievers. Following White were two innings by winning pitcher Greg Miller, one inning by Rudy Seanez (in Eric Gagne's familiar No. 38), then Beimel.

Schmidt pleased: The Dodgers' new starter was effective, if not flawless, allowing two hits and two walks with one strikeout in two innings and 26 pitches.

"It felt like two innings of Spring Training," he said. "In Arizona, it's so dry, your change-up slips out of your hand and the breaking ball doesn't really do anything. Here, everything comes out good. It's like reality."

Hendrickson struggles: Sabotaged by a pair of errors that led to a five-run inning, Mark Hendrickson was charged with seven runs (five earned) in 1 2/3 innings following Schmidt. Hendrickson is a candidate for the fifth-starter job with Hong-Chih Kuo, Brett Tomko and Chad Billingsley.

"I was better in the second inning, as far as sharpness," said Hendrickson, who threw 50 pitches, a high figure for the first spring outing. "I felt strong for the amount of pitches I threw. I have to stay focused on what I did good and what I did bad, regardless of the results."

Injury update: Anderson apparently will be out longer than originally indicated, as the club is concerned that the flare-up of his surgically repaired right elbow could recur with overuse.

Anderson, who underwent surgery to remove bone chips in October, irritated soft tissue by throwing and hitting too much.

"He'll have to get to where he can swing the bat with no aggravation to the elbow before he plays," Little said.

Anderson said he had the same surgery 10 years earlier and had the same setback then, too.

"I threw too much and that irritated it, which made it painful to swing," he said. "I'm glad they understand it might take a little time and aren't pushing me to come back too fast."

Signed, sealed: All remaining unsigned Dodgers came to terms and the club did not unilaterally renew anyone.

Player found: The Dodgers held an open tryout Thursday. After 75 attendees were whittled down to 25 players for a simulated game, 19-year-old Venezuelan shortstop Charlie Mirabal was signed to a contract and will report to Dodgertown on Friday.

Grab a book: Current Dodgers Randy Wolf, Rafael Furcal and Loney read to local schoolchildren Friday morning as part of the National Education Association's 10th annual Read Across America program. In Los Angeles, former Dodgers Al Downing, Wes Parker, Bobby Castillo, Ken Landreaux and Joe Moeller were guest readers in the program, which was sponsored by The Dodgers Dream Foundation and the California Teachers Association for the second consecutive year.

Coming up: The Dodgers travel to Port St. Lucie on Saturday to face the Mets, with Brad Penny and Hong-Chih Kuo opposing Mike Pelfrey.

swangin and bangin

« Reply #310 on: March 03, 2007, 03:45:35 PM »
hells yea
lets go dodgers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i dont follow baseball but the dodgers are the shit

LAKERS_FAN89

« Reply #311 on: March 03, 2007, 03:51:15 PM »
yea i only doing this for the Dodgers.

G 8) DODGERS

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #312 on: March 04, 2007, 06:57:24 PM »
They should be very good this year and make a run at the postseason, maybe fans this year will show up before the 4th inning.

The Best of 3 Worlds

LAKERS_FAN89

« Reply #313 on: April 07, 2007, 04:32:14 PM »
oh yeah we won 8) let keep it coming.

rik

« Reply #314 on: April 07, 2007, 10:06:10 PM »
They should be very good this year and make a run at the postseason, maybe fans this year will show up before the 4th inning.

As long as they show up.