Author Topic: Detroit's mixtape king interview:Tals about the lost of Proof, J-Dilla, Blade  (Read 240 times)

GATMAN

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Dj Butter
Interview by Stefanie Philippou

MH2 - What part of Detroit are you from?
I was raised on the Eastside of Detroit. When my mom and pops divorced, I lived with my late aunt, Thelma Holmes on Northlawn Street off Puritan Avenue. I went to school in Highland Park one of the grimmiest places in Michigan. I finished High School in Oak Park after my best friend, Illy-Ill was killed. That's were I met, DJ Shotgun (Goodie Mob's former DJ) Bizarre (D12), Royce 5'9, CP and No Coast, whom Chris Webber (NBA star) had signed to his label.

MH2 - What inspired you to get involved in the mix-tape business?
My cousin from New Jersey used to come up to Detroit and bring DJ Clue tapes down here for me. I used to make mixtapes in High School and sell them to my peeps back in the late 80's. DJ Houseshoes and the 12 Tech Mob helped me sell my mixtapes in the begining. Proof (D12) to help me sell my cds at the Hip-Hop Shop also.

MH2 - You've known, Proof (D12) for over a decade, and you had beef in his last days and he made a diss track about you called, "In The Butter"- What are your thoughts after his death--Were you two trying to work things out?
The last time I saw Proof I was at a Jay-Dilla memorial and he acted like he wanted to fight me but laughed it off and we hugged and shook hands. I haven't seen Proof in almost 4 years prior to that. I ask him was everything straight and he said, yeah. I've known Proof since 1990 or 91. My best friend, Mark Hicks started managing and investing into him when we were kids. I used to promote him and his group, 5 Elements in my magazine, FUNKFRESHINTHAFLESH during his day's at Maurice Malone's -Hip-Hop Shop. I had a good relationship with Proof, Bugz and Bizarre before I really even knew Swift, KonArtis, Kuniva or Eminem. Detroit will tell you I was the first to play Eminem on my mixtapes. I recorded alot of music with Proof and Bizarre before and giving them guest appearances money. I was just trying to show them how serious I was about my independent label, Crazy Noise Productions. Proof was a stand up guy and I expected him to be the first to defend his crew and show his loyalty to Eminem. I understood that whole concept, but still worried how far the foolishness can go. Proof knew I had his back from the rap shit to the street shit and shared the same homeboy, T-Stuckey who is from our hood. I think the new faces around him, kept him blinded. I loved Proof before Eminem gave him any limelight or a pay day. Seeing his debut album "Searching For Jerry Garcia" was like seeing my album. It's a shame the news reports that Proof died struggling with bills (Child Support) and he help create a billion dollar company, that's been my beef for all these years.

MH2 - Blade Icewood recently died in Detroit, Have you ever worked with him?
I saw Blade at the studio a few days before he was killed. When we seen each other, we talked about hitting the studio doing some mixtapes. He would always see me in the streets and we exchange phone numbers. He would change his phone number alot, so we never hit the lab. The first time I met him was with Dogmatic at Sick Notes Studio. My step mothers funeral was in the same place on the same day as Blade's. God works in mysterious ways.

MH2 - What are your thoughts on Jay-Dilla?
He brought Hip-Hop back to life again. He was one of the first in Detroit to really inspire us all. He lived on my street, Log Cabin and Slum Village used to let me come to their studio session. Alot of groups these days are trying to take J-Dilla's legacy without giving Slum Village their 100 percent props. I'm just thankful to know these guys. Jay-Dilla was a Micheal Jordan to producers for the last 10 plus years.

MH2 - What's your relationship with the Shady Records these days, do you and Eminem still talk?
Denuan Porter just decided to make a song that I Executive Produced and help create, all his song 100 percent. The song was customized for me (DJ Butter) and my whole second album was entitled, Sh** Can Happen (Sh**happens) so check the history. I knew the situation was getting different when D-12 decided to perform the song, "Sh** Can Happen" and took my name out of the song. This was before their first album, Devil's Night was even recorded. I enjoyed putting money in their pockets with my small indie label and wanted the same in return. He (Eminem) is the check writer and I knew It was time to play the game or get blackballed. I chosen to get blackballed and proceed with my lawsuit. That's why you have so many rappers trying to do mixtapes without the DJ element in Detroit. Alot of DJ's in my city don't like to drop mixtapes cause the rappers are not understandable. I just wanted Proof and Bizarre to be apart of a winning team cause their dedication was some of my motivation. I lmagined D-12 being our Wu-Tang Clan, Slum Village as our A Tribe Called Quest and Royce as our Jay-Z or Nas. When Eminem got with Dr. Dre, I knew it would be alot of open doors for Detroit Hip-Hop. I had DJ Head (Eminem's former DJ) call me from Amsterdam telling me to keep up the good work.

MH2 - Who are your favorite emcees?
Eminem is a big influence on me, I used to see him at the mom and pops stores along with DJ Head (Eminem's former DJ) selling his cds. Now he is at the thop of the food chain. I was a big Ice-T fan, he is a true O.G. I listen to groups like, CMW, Above The Law, Kool G. Rap, Rakim, Royce Da 5'9 and of course Gang Starr are my favorites. The first 12 inch I really bought was by a group called, L.A Dream Team.

MH2 - Who have your spinned for throughout your career?
I did a few parties in Detroit and all the rappers would come down. I spinned for D-12, Jim Jones (Dipset), K-Deezy (Street Lords) and of course my crew, Sudden Strength, which was my begining stages.

MH2 - What are the next projects coming from your label, Crazy Noise Productions?
I've been recording joints with, Yukmouth (The Luniz), Big Herk, Wesley Valentine's new album is on the way and B-Boy R.E.G. I'm working on my new album called, Badussy which features Detroiters and rappers worldwide. Stay Tuned!

MH2 - When Is Your Next Party, if its in New York, can I come, if its in Detroit are you going to pay for my ticket? (hehehehe)
April 23, I will be spinning for, The Street Lords a.k.a Chedda Boyz. It's my nigga, K-Doe a.k.a K-Deezy official record release party. Get Your Tickets Today:http://www.mixtapedetroit.com/. Other rappers in the house will be my dude, Strike, Trick Trick and Short Dawg, whom just got a deal with, Russell Simmons Music Group and of course my Crazy Noise Productions team. You will hear some of my D-12 joints banging that night. I got tickets for your whole staff.

MH2 - Any Last Words?
Free my nig** Brando and check out: www.myspace.com/djbutter and www.myspace.com/wesleyvalentine. R.I.P. my nig** Illy-Ill, Bugz, Wipeout, Blade, Dilla and of course Proof the mayor of Detroit Hip-Hop.

DJ Butter music available: www.mixtapedetroit.com

Dargine

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Main Underground Stream
Nice read.
http://TheMUSblog.blogspot.com

Everything about The D.O.C, Obie Trice, The Notorious B.I.G, Young Buck, Eminem, Pipe da Snipe, Devin the Dude, Six Street Mac, Dr. Dre, B.G. Knocc Out, YG Hootie, 50 Cent, Nate Dogg, 4-Bent & Black Rob.