Author Topic: Petrov demands Celtic departure  (Read 101 times)

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
Petrov demands Celtic departure
« on: April 21, 2006, 08:47:46 AM »

Petrov demands Celtic departure

Celtic have turned down a written transfer request from star midfielder Stilian Petrov.

"We can confirm that we have received an official transfer request from Stilian Petrov," a spokesman told the club website. "This has been rejected."

But Petrov said: "I have told the club that I need to move on and I hope Celtic respects my wishes."

The 26-year-old Bulgaria captain signed a new contract in January, committing himself to the champions until 2010.

The player took a back seat during last Sunday's Scottish Premier League title celebrations.

It was widely reported that Petrov had a dressing-room argument with manager Gordon Strachan at half-time during the 1-1 draw with Hibernian but the player dismissed that as "a big lie".

And Strachan has not given up hope of keeping one of his key players at Celtic Park.

"It might be a worry that this could have an effect on the player and those around him," said the manager.

"But, despite him wanting to move on, we are relaxed about it.

"You are talking to someone who asked Alex Ferguson for a move in 1992 and I was told to go forth and multiply.

"I was there the next two years, won a few more trophies and just got on with it."

Petrov has previously attracted interest from Everton and Fulham but it appears that he believes bigger, more successful clubs in the English Premiership and abroad would be interested in his signature.

It is also understood that there is no get-out clause in his new contract, which means that any suitors could be expected to pay a transfer fee of somewhere between £4m and £6m, should Celtic yield to his request.

Petrov, capped 50 times for his country, joined Celtic from CSKA Sofia for more than £2m in 1999.

He has since helped the Glasgow club to four titles, while they have also won the Scottish Cup and CIS Insurance Cup three times each.

There has also been speculation that Japan midfielder Shunsuke Nakamura wants to leave Celtic just a year after joining from Reggina.

Meanwhile, English newspaper reports suggest that fitness coach Adam Owen is leaving Celtic to join Sheffield Wednesday.
NO MORE WAR

TheDeli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Petrov demands Celtic departure
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 09:25:19 AM »
Gotta admit I won't be sheading any tears or be disappointed if/when Petrov leaves ;D

Sweet & Tender Hooligan

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 03:18:35 PM »
He wont go. Nobody will pay 6 mill (even though he worth it) and i doubt Strachan will let him leave for under it. If he does go i think we should go 4 Pienaar of Ajax. Great replacement.

The Maestro

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 07:18:29 AM »
Not that suprising, although I didn't realise he was only mid twenties. Seems a few German teams are interested, so he'll probably leave for one of them in the summer.