Author Topic: Reaction to McClaren appointment  (Read 94 times)

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
Reaction to McClaren appointment
« on: May 04, 2006, 10:57:20 AM »

Reaction to McClaren appointment

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson is pleased Steve McClaren has been chosen to succeed him in the post after this summer's World Cup.

McClaren, currently in charge of Middlesbrough, is also a coach in Eriksson's England set-up.

Eriksson said: "I have worked closely with Steve ever since I came to England and know how good a coach he is.

"I have no doubt that he has all the credentials to be very successful in the job and wish him all the best."

McClaren, who has signed a four-year deal as manager which starts on 1 August, will continue to work alongside Eriksson during the World Cup.

Eriksson added: "I said that I didn't want the next England coach to be with the team at the World Cup, unless he was already involved in the set-up.

"Steve is a key part of my coaching staff and I'm delighted to have him with us in Germany."

McClaren's former boss in club football, Sir Alex Ferguson, also backed the decision to move the Middlesbrough manager to the England helm.

McClaren had a three-year stint as assistant to Manchester United boss Ferguson before joining Boro in 2001.

"I think it is a good appointment. He knows the England players and has had a good apprenticeship," said Ferguson.

"He has won the League Cup and hopefully he can also win the Uefa Cup next week."

Ferguson feels England will benefit from the continuity of promoting McClaren from his role as Eriksson's number two.

"England have a good set of players, an experienced back-room staff and Steve knows all that," said the Scot.

"Steve has a knowledge of the staff and of the players so I hope he does well because it's not an easy job.

"He's always been one who has had visions for developing things. When he was at Derby and I spoke to two or three people who had worked under him they said that he is a very progressive coach and that's what I found with him."

The FA's director of football development, Sir Trevor Brooking, is looking forward to working alongside the next England boss McClaren.

Brooking said: "His priority will be success with the England senior team.

"But as a holder of the Uefa Pro Licence he will also play an integral part in our coach development scheme.

"He has shown at Middlesbrough that he is innovative and committed to bringing through talented young English players and giving them a chance at top level."

League Managers' Association chief executive John Barnwell wants fans to support McClaren now he has been confirmed as the next England manager.

"This is not a popularity contest," Barnwell said.

"The England manager is appointed to help improve and develop the international team.

"Now the decision is made, it is time to get behind Steve and focus on the more immediate task of helping England to be successful at the World Cup."

Middlesbrough chief executive Keith Lamb thanked McClaren for his contribution during his five years in charge at the Riverside Stadium.

Lamb told his club's website: "Whilst we are sorry to lose Steve, we are delighted he is leaving the football club for such a prestigious role.

"It is an honour for Middlesbrough that our manager should become the new England coach."
NO MORE WAR