Author Topic: Walcott 'will handle World Cup'  (Read 75 times)

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
Walcott 'will handle World Cup'
« on: May 08, 2006, 07:22:04 AM »

Walcott 'will handle World Cup'

Theo Walcott is ready to play in the World Cup at just 17, according to his former mentor at Southampton.

Huw Jennings was Saints academy director when Walcott was with the south coast club, before his £12m switch to Arsenal in January.

Jennings told BBC Sport: "Theo has a circle of serenity around him which enables him to cope and keep a sensible perspective on things.

"He has got tremendous ability and pace, which England are short of."

Jennings, who is now the head of youth development at the Premier League, hinted that England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson had sounded out Arsenal coach Arsene Wenger on the 17-year-old sensation.

"Thinking about the last 10 days, Arsene Wenger was asked the question about Theo and he said England could do worse by not taking him.

"I would have assumed that some talks had taken place between Arsene and Sven," added Jennings, who believes Eriksson has also taken advice from his right-hand man, Tord Grip.

"Theo has always played above his own age group and still done well so there is no reason he should not continue that.   

"I know Tord saw him play for England Under 17s a year or so ago and was very impressed by him."

"I always knew he had the potential to go on and play for England but to get a World Cup call-up at barely 17 is remarkable. This time last year he was sitting his GCSEs.

"To go from the Southampton youth team to a World Cup in 12 months would be a massive step.

"And it is especially hard to imagine as he has not made an appearance in the Premier League, but I am sure he could handle it."

"He has a confidence in his ability and as a result, fears nothing."

Walcott has made a big impression at Arsenal despite being yet to make his senior debut.

His Gunners team-mate Kolo Toure told BBC Sport: "He is just fantastic.

"He is still young and learning but he is so fast, it is amazing.

"I have played against him in training and he is really, really quick. I think he will be one of the best strikers in England one day."

Jennings believes Walcott would be the ideal replacement if Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen fail to shake off their injuries.

He explained: "In the past, England have been criticised for not having enough options to change if things are not going to plan.

"I could see Theo fulfilling that role. He is an impact player who can come on and change the game.

"If you look around the England squad there are not many players who could do that in the absence of Rooney and Owen.

"He is the type of player Eriksson is looking at as a means of providing that difference and if Theo goes to Germany, he would not let anybody down."

Walcott's appearance at the World Cup could also provide his former club Southampton with a windfall.

Arsenal paid an initial £5m of a £12m package which made Walcott the world's most expensive 16-year-old when he moved from Southampton.

The Saints stand to get a further £2m when Walcott plays in a competitive game for England.
NO MORE WAR