Author Topic: Dilated Peoples Interview  (Read 97 times)

Scribe

Dilated Peoples Interview
« on: February 02, 2002, 12:42:01 AM »
DILATED PEOPLES INTERVIEW FROM HipHopGame.com

Packing years of underground experience, Dilated Peoples have return with their second album 'Expansion Team'.
HipHopGame caught up with Evidence, the talented MC and producer.

Your album Expansion Team dropped October 23rd, how's it doing now and are you satisfied with the impact it had and the reviews it was given in magazines?

The record's doing great, as far as the sales go, it's definitely exceeded our expectations, possibly gold which is not something we had with the first record.
As far as the reviews in magazines, I'm trying not to read them anymore, some of them were positive, some had negative things to say, to be honest when I read a good review I feel like I owe somebody something and when I read a bad one sometimes it gets me upset so the last course of the year I'm just trying to stay away as much as possible and just realize that it's somebody's opinion and I could go ask my friends their opinion too. But when somebody takes some time to sit down and write it, it magically becomes more important somehow.

How does Expansion team compare to your first LP the Platform?

We're definitely growing cause we're growing as people you know, I would say that we're still holdin'on to the energy that we had when we were young, and because of that the record isn't gonna just drastically sound different, you can definitely tell that it's the same group doin' the same thing, as time goes on you get better, in the studio your beats get sharper, more concepts come up, you learn how to record your vocals a little better, you know different patterns you can put on songs…so I'd just say it's constant growth hopefully the next one sounds more evolved than this one and etc…

How was it working at the legendary D&D Studios in NYC?

Oh it's definitely inspirational, I like that place a lot just because of the grittiness and the dirtiness of it, you know just the raw essence of Hip-Hop, it's definitely alive in that building, not to mention all the legends who work in there whom we are fans of and now friends with and that's a beautiful thing. I had some friends coming from out of town and they stayed in there, we were in NYC for almost a month.

Now Kutmasta Kurt, who produced the classic 'Work the Angles' didn't produce any track on Expansion team, why is this?

Well we just take beats we just listen to people's tracks and if the right track is there then it is, if it isn't no hard feelings…

I've heard Babu was gonna produce for Common's next LP, can you confirm that?

Nah that's not true he just did cuts on his new LP, on 2 tracks.

I'm not a big video game fan but I've heard you were featured on Madden 2002, like you can select Dilated Peoples
members as players?

(laughing) yeah that's crazy right?

Can you tell us how you got into the game?

They called us dude and that was it, they just asked me what position I wanted to play and my size wasn't all that so I told them, I've never have actually seen myself yet but everyone keeps telling me about it. I don't play video games that much.

Now I know touring is really important to you and I've heard you were gonna tour in the UK in February?

Yeah that's true

And you're supposed to open for Bubba Sparxxx in London
No I don't think so, you know what, maybe I don't really know how it works but as far as I've been told, no.

Cause I think this should be the opposite…

I don't know I've not even heard…

Are there solo LPs in the works?
Yeah we're gonna do one more Dilated record and then work on solo records .

Can we expect a DVD like tha Liks did?

Well we've got something called Triple Optics, it's on VHS you know, I don't know if it's on DVD but it's kinda like a documentary but it's not really in detail like theirs, it's not like 'in the life of', it's more like interviews and stuff like that.

Do you think the Lakers are gonna win this year?
Of course!

What do you think you'd be doing if you were not part of this music scene?

I'd probably play sports, preferably baseball.
"Without The Elements It's All Irrelevent" Jurassic 5

"This world better acknowledge me I'm over ambitious
Do almost anything to rob a genie for his wishes." 57th Dynasty

"We didn't give a toss about money, fame or stardom
Just about the culture, the music, slang and jargon." Blak Twang

"Freedom Is A Road Seldom Travelled By The Multitude" Public Enemy

"If Ignorance Is Bliss Then Knock The Smile Of My Face" Zach De La Rocha

Nima - Dubcnn.com

Re: Dilated Peoples Interview
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2002, 03:58:58 AM »
thanks for the interview homie! dilated are really tight and underated!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

NoT

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • The Lonely one...
Re: Dilated Peoples Interview
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2002, 05:10:03 AM »
thanks for the interview homie! dilated are really tight and underated!

Yeah, Dilated are tight, but I don't know if I'd call them "underrated". I mean, anyone who's in to underground hip hop is usually into them (IMO they aren't that underground anymore though) and that's a shitload of people.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
Nick of Time
SADISTIC MISFITS

Yo, ya 14-carat gold slum computer wizard ~
Tappin' inside my rap page causes blizzards ~
- Ghostface Killah