Author Topic: Today's Rappers vs. Yesterdays M.C.s  (Read 314 times)

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
Today's Rappers vs. Yesterdays M.C.s
« on: June 05, 2006, 06:21:04 PM »
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN EMCEES BACK IN THE DAY & TODAYS RAPPERS BY J.D.L

You asked me Troy L. to explain my point of view of the difference between Hip Hop back in my era in comparison to now. Well first let me tell you that there’s a big difference between m.c.s and rappers. Rappers make rap records and are in the game for the sole purpose of monetary gain and fame. They have no love for the microphone or hip-hop, which consists of 4 elements - D.J.ing, Emceeing, Graffiti and Break Dancing!!! And I support this fact with pure evidence. Check it! Every time there is an anniversary for Rock Steady, Zulu Nation or the Cold Crush or even Disco King Mario do you see any of these rap stars or do you see mad m.c.’s that hold down mics like no other? Huh? No, because they don’t fit ;only the ones that have love for this music are there! Rappers don’t give out side jams and most of all rappers don’t interact with mc.s because m.c.s are a threat to them. If both were to get on the mic at a jam out side and the d.j. is playing breakbeats , the m.c. will tear the rapper ass up because he is in his domain his arena and he will not only rock rhymes he will rock the party; showcase the d.j. with no gimmicks no hype man, no dancers just him and his gift of gab. The rapper will say some good rhymes that is probably in record form, meaning it will be 16 or 24 bars and will feel very uncomfortable up there by himself, no dancers, no security and no hype man and to top it off if the record skips he,the rapper will stop and look at the d.j. or search for the soundman. The m.c. will stutter back on track. And in order for the rapper to rock the crowd he will have to borrow the m.c.s crowd motivation skills, or put on one of his hit records. Last but not least m.c.s roll with other m.c.s, rappers roll with body guards and entourages and stay stuck in v.i.p. rooms. However it’s somewhat not their fault because the record industry did that to them with trickery. How can you be a rap star and not be able to hang around your old block and chill? Everything you do is under a microscope! Then you chip off the founders shit but can’t give them a job as A&R or a talent  scout! Don’t call us in for a collaboration of our shit you take, but pay the record companies that raped us for our voice samples or our songs. Niggaz talk shit about Will Smith but that motherfucker brought Kool Moe Dee in when he did Wild Wild West! So we have the right to be bitter when we gave up blood , sweat and our souls so these guys can get million dollar deals. Video budgets etc. etc. We open the door and these so called rappers hold the knob on the other side so we can’t get back in. Don’t you know if we was to get them big budgets and have access to them top-notch producers well be just as big if not bigger. But they (the record companies) claim that they don’t want to take a chance on us! So why did they jump on our music in the first place! They took a chance then and look what happened….A 12 billion dollar industry!   And that’s the difference- peace my brother holla back.

Source:http://www.jayquan.com/jdldiff.htm

:D Gotta Love It!

jeromechickenbone

Re: Today's Rappers vs. Yesterdays M.C.s
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 06:30:10 PM »
Mad Props on that.  Great article. 

makaveli11

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 07:53:17 PM »
Excellent article...especially the ending when they talked about the rappers not helpin the pioneers...the hypocrisy and trickery of the record companies...damn crazy how hip hop turned into a 12 billion dollar industry.
Picture Perfection Pursuin Paper with a Passion

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 05:08:51 AM »
As much as I dislike many of the newest rappers...this is whining to the fullest.
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..

Dargine

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Main Underground Stream
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 08:35:09 AM »
MC stands for Mic Controller, if you look at one of those "rappers" that the article seems to talk about (then I mean 50 Cent) doesn't control the mic, then who does?
http://TheMUSblog.blogspot.com

Everything about The D.O.C, Obie Trice, The Notorious B.I.G, Young Buck, Eminem, Pipe da Snipe, Devin the Dude, Six Street Mac, Dr. Dre, B.G. Knocc Out, YG Hootie, 50 Cent, Nate Dogg, 4-Bent & Black Rob.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 10:23:24 AM »
MC stands for Mic Controller, if you look at one of those "rappers" that the article seems to talk about (then I mean 50 Cent) doesn't control the mic, then who does?

always thought MC stood for Master of Ceremony.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 05:19:09 PM »
As much as I dislike many of the newest rappers...this is whining to the fullest.

I agree. Change the game instead of complaining. We all know most of the rappers out now suck, no need for another article complaining about that. Instead, put some good music out for those of us that cherish quality music can listen to.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Jome

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 07:35:05 PM »

always thought MC stood for Master of Ceremony.

Correct, "Master of Ceremonies".

Rprcnt.cold.Nnorth

• Lil Geezy
  • spell Master

The Classics

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 08:18:45 PM »
I agree with the article.  It's not about whinning but respecting were hip hop came from, who the hip hop came from.  He just stated the facts.

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 04:27:53 AM »
No, it is longing for an era that is long gone and will only live on in memory.

I don't like the way hiphop is evolving,but there is no stopping it. Things move forward and not backwards. This is like claiming the modern airplanes are inferior to the first ones that were driven like a bicycle because the pilot isn't required to use as much energy as he did back then.
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..