Author Topic: A review of "The Big Bang"...  (Read 213 times)

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
A review of "The Big Bang"...
« on: June 14, 2006, 10:10:08 AM »

ABN

Re: A review of "The Big Bang"...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 10:16:27 AM »
copy and paste it coz i´m not signing up on that bullshit site.

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 10:21:31 AM »
You don't need to sign on to it, but I'll copy and paste it anyway to make it easier.

When Busta Rhymes signed to Dr. Dre's label Aftermath in the spring of 2004, his album "The Big Bang" slowly became one of the most heavily anticipated releases to come out in a while. Many critics and fans alike assumed that Busta's record would just never see the light of day, much like Rakim's "Oh My God". While Dre has always been a legend in the production field, Aftermath has failed to deliver on a number of occassions. Nevertheless, 2005 came and went and still...no album. A Scott Storch-produced track featuring Eminem, "I'll Hurt You" was leaked in the mixtape circuit, and it was rumored to have been Bus's original option for first single. When that track fizzled out, the streets got a taste of Busta's latest street joint, "Where's Your Money" featuring the late ODB. The vintage production on this track raised hopes that Busta would drop an album complete with proper guest spots and amazing beats to boot.

Then "Touch It" hit radios in late 2005. The crisp club joint was infectious on many levels, prompting a gang of remixes and ultimately, the video shoot for said song. Unfortunately, it was during this video shoot in New York City that Busta's bodyguard Israel Ramirez was shot and killed. The early February incident put Busta's face all over the news, as controversy now surrounded the rapper everywhere he went. His refusal to cooperate with authorities only added fuel to the fire now associated with his already blazing status. On the heels of releasing the most important album of his career, Busta was now faced with numerous setbacks, including several altercations unassociated with the slaying of his bodyguard. Despite the fact that Bus was now creating more of a buzz based on the controversy, everyone still hoped that "The Big Bang" would drop sooner than later. It had been a while since the world's heard some fresh Dr. Dre production and based on the stacked lineup of guest MC's and producers slated for the album, it's no wonder why Busta had the streets fiending for his new joint.

After pushing the date back numerous times, Interscope finally set the date...June 13, 2006. On this day, the album that took 3 and a half years in the making to create finally hit stores and longtime fans of Busta Rhymes cannot be disappointed. This album has a little bit of everything and something for everyone. The album lives up to its title as it bangs harder than just about anything else released in a minute. Aside from a few average songs, there's really nothing to complain about, in my opinion.

01. Get You Some ( ***** )
02. Touch It ( ***1\2 )
03. How We Do It Over Here ( **** )
04. New York Sh*t ( ***** )
05. Been Through The Storm ( ***** )
06. In The Ghetto ( ****1\2 )
07. Cocaina ( ***** )
08. You Can't Hold The Torch ( ***** )
09. Goldmine ( ***** )
10. I Love My B*tch ( *** )
11. Don't Get Carried Away ( ***** )
12. They're Out To Get Me ( ***1\2 )
13. Get Down ( **** )
14. I'll Do It All ( **** )
15. Legend Of The Fall Offs ( ***** )

Kicking things off is the Dre produced "Get You Some", featuring Q-Tip and Marsha from Floetry. The beat is typically hard hitting and the melodic layering of the keys is just perfect. It's got that signature Aftermath sound to it and it fits Busta Rhymes like a glove. Bus rips the beat with two energetic verses, while Marsha provides a slender chorus and Q-Tip adds his touch to the hook. The production is very strong and there's really no other way to introduce the album.

"Touch It" pops up next. This is the original version in which Busta spits solo. Swizz Beatz crafts a minimalistic beat using hard drum patterns and synchronized antimelodic sound effects. I never had a problem with the beat, as it's a grower if you bump it long enough. The Daft Punk sample rounds out the production and assumes the chorus duties. Busta experiments with his flow and the results aren't too shabby. He spits 8 bars using a low tone pitch, then spits the other 8 in his usual high pitch. Everyone's heard this by now, and it's interesting how there is no remix found on the album, just the solo version.

Missy Elliot joins Busta for the next track, another club record "How We Do It Over Here". Dre hits us with something fairly new for his style. An awesome underlying bassline mixed with a progressing synth and some dope sound effects. Busta drops his usual, sounding just a little more refreshed than we've come to expect from him. Missy doesn't add too much to the track, but she fits in with the beat. This one grows on you as well, especially the chorus.

DJ Scratch laces "New York Sh*t" with a dense East Coast flavored loop and tight drums. The beat has a real nice vibe to it and Busta takes this opportunity to pay homage to respected veterans emanating from NY. Swizz Beatz does his thing on the hook, and despite being short, it's a nice little cut and the next single if I'm not mistaken.

"Been Through The Storm" is a classic, featuring Stevie Wonder. Sha Money XL and Black Jeruz always made a good production team and this time it works out for the best, as they cook up something smooth and classy for Busta to spit over. Dre handled the additional production, including a 16 piece orchestra. It's truly amazing how well mixed this beat is, it's almost like a movie on wax. Stevie's vocals are really proper, while Busta spits with a passion that has to be heard to be understood. One of the album's best moments right here.

The late Rick James is featured on "In The Ghetto". DJ Green Lantern puts together a great musical backdrop, assisted by Dr. Dre's additional production. A medley of horns and piano flavors come together and it all sounds real polished up. Busta lays down a couple of great verses, as Rick James croons in the background. The chorus is once again a winner. So far, this album comes correct by all accounts and it's not even half way done.

Busta also lays it down nicely over Dre's work on the Marsha-assisted "Cocaina". A light mix of fading horns and piano tinkles serve as a great backdrop for Busta's bragging laced lyrics, but he puts it down so naturally, it's hard to dismiss the subject matter. The energy in his voice and the switchups in the beat make it very enjoyable. Marsha's vocals are once again well placed, and "Cocaina" gets the nod for second best Dre beat on the album, right behind "Get You Some".

The late J Dilla's beat for "You Can't Hold The Torch" has a real old school feel to it, from the stripped down keys and hard drum play to the scratching. Chauncey Black of Blackstreet provides the chorus, while Busta and Q-Tip trade rhymes, discussing the concept of new age rappers failing to measure up to the veterans who came before them. A great concept, and the combination of talent on this joint mesh well together. J Dilla RIP.

Erick Sermon produces "Goldmine" featuring Raekwon. The production has a real dark feel to it, in tempo and the live sound brought out by the keyboards used. Another tight beat, and Busta doesn't waste it. He drops a great performance, including a hot chorus, while Raekwon sounds real official on this beat, he holds his own and doesn't allow Busta to outshine him.

The current single which is getting decent spins is up next. "I Love My B*tch" features Kelis and will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas. Will produced this as well, and I found it be to rather decent for a commerical cut. His vocals on the chorus are catchy and pleasant. Busta is limited with the suject matter here, but he handles it like a champ and does what he can to give Interscope the poppy single you know they asked for. Some ill chord changes during the beat make it listenable all the way through, though I can understand how some can find this track annoying. I didn't mind it too much.

"Don't Get Carried Away" is one of the Big Bang's more solid efforts, even though there aren't any weak songs on it. Busta flows over and rips 2 verses on this Dre produced diamond. Nas has the middle 16, and his writing is just superb. So great to hear Nas over a Dre beat in 2006, and here's hope for more material outta those two. Not one weak lyrical moment here, save for a just decent chorus. The beat is dark and low in tempo, perfect for Busta's flow and Nas's stellar verse.

Mr. Porter of D12 produces and does the chorus on "They Out To Get Me". While his crooning on the chorus isn't complete throwaway material, it drags after a while. Busta sounds slightly rejuvenated over this bluesy guitar driven piece, rapping about disloyal individuals and releasing some of that tension out on wax.

Timbaland stops by the track # 13, the James Brown sampling "Get Down". Tim cooks up snappy drums and adds several jungle animal noises and chants to give the beat a sense of unique creativity. This song can hit you as hit or miss, as it is quite experimental. Busta rides it as only he can and does a good job of keeping up with the quickness of the production. Tim's creativity has to be appreciated here, as one has to listen close to hear everything going on in the beat.

The next to last song is "I'll Do It All", featuring LaToiya Williams. West Coast beatsmith Jellyroll puts together a catchy little tune with electronic sliding melodies and progressive flute play. The beat hits organized mess mode during the chorus, but somehow I seem to dig it. Much like a lot of this album's songs, it's not for everyone...some of the songs on this record have to be listened to with a real open mind.

The Big Bang's finale is "Legend Of The Fall Offs", produced by Dr. Dre. This is the much hyped track where Dre acutally brought buckets of dirt and shoveled it, among a setup of mics in order to capture the live sound of a burial. Mixed with dark piano chords and other atmospheric sounds, including crickets in the background, this beat is genius. Busta raps about a rapper's downfall and eventual death in the sense of their career being dead and buried. The sampled chorus matches the song's feel and it's surely another movie on wax. Creative stuff right here.

All in all, I feel as though the long wait was worth it. I enjoyed all 15 songs, some more than others, but everyone came through on their parts. Busta was the star of the album, as he should have been, but major kudos to all the producers who put it down in a major way. Dre deserves a lot of credit, as the 5 joints he produced are arguably, five of the album's best records. Nice to hear someone other than 50 Cent over a Dr. Dre beat for a chance. Another plus is that the album was only 15 tracks. I always approve of short albums rather than those stacked, 78 minute albums that are just overflowing this material. "The Big Bang" was just about right in quantity, and it surely delivered in terms of quality. Don't sleep on this album, as it's an early candidate for Album of the Year. Thanks for reading

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 10:35:16 AM »
nice, i dont agree with some of it ofcourse but props anywany, took some effort their mang

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 11:01:51 AM »
Thanks man.

ABN

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 11:16:36 AM »
good review but i can´t tell you if i agree coz i haven´t heard the album lol. anyone wanna hook me up with a link?

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 01:15:29 PM »
Great review, props for the effort. I agree with everything, I would only rate that Denuan track higher and Ill Do It All lower.

Overall a great album, best of this year without a doubt.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 01:57:13 PM »
Damn, propz for that!

It was right on point the only thing I'd say is that I Love My Bitch should get only 1 star, but you got to make it reasonable for all ears :P. Great review homie!

Jome

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 10:30:26 PM »
Good review, props.
However, I think you're overrating track 4, 7, 8, 13 & 14.  ;D

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 01:13:17 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I kinda agree with Jome in that maybe I overrated a few tracks, maybe after a few weeks, I'll feel differently about a few joints. I'm just so glad this album finally dropped, to be honest  8)

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 01:25:50 PM »
yo y'all go check my review in the ALBUM REVIEW section.....haha, peace