Author Topic: Who "killed hip hop"? Someone said them Franchise boys and others.  (Read 952 times)

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
Re: Who "killed hip hop"? Someone said them Franchise boys and others.
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2006, 12:16:40 PM »
i believe white fans killed it mainly majority of time they don't understand shit.  They think money and looking good is hip hop.
Of course. Always blame white people with anythingwrong with hip hop. ;D

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2006, 01:30:24 PM »
i believe white fans killed it mainly majority of time they don't understand shit.  They think money and looking good is hip hop.
:D
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

Eihtball

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2006, 01:33:43 PM »
And that's what it comes down to with the West, always.  You simply can't get away with changing styles in the West without getting hatedonfor it.  L.A. niggas are the most closed-minded and conservative in all of hip-hop - they want the same shit over and over.

The south's shit sound the same too.

Like SGV said, you obviously ain't listened to the South enough if that's what you think.  Atlanta alone has produced Lil Jon, T.I., and Outkast...all cats whose styles are polar opposites of each other.  It gets more complicated when you go to Houston, then to Miami, and then to New Orleans.  Atlanta has "crunk" and "trap stars", Miami has bass music, Houston is all about candy paint and tippin, New Orleans has the bling of Cash Money and the (admittedly) wack gutter shit of No Limit.  It goes on and on and on.

But in the West, there's far less diversity.  L.A. is almost exclusively about G-Funk, and the Bay Area for many years was all about Mobb Music which is basically a slightly modified derivative of G-Funk.  Of course, the Bay has started trying to refine its sound with the Hyphy movement, but L.A. is still only concerned with G-Funk, like it's been for the past 15 years.  When L.A. moves on, then it can get back on top.

White people definitely had some roll.  Once white folks decided that being ghetto/gangsta was the "in" thing of pop culture, the music became watered down so it would be more accessible to them.  Afrocentric, conscious lyrics went out of style and negativity came in by the wayside.  The reason for this, of course, is that white kids (except for college kids) generally don't buy music with substance.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 01:37:56 PM by 2 Muh'phuccin Xtra 4 Cali »

Quadruple OG

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2006, 01:57:28 PM »
Mobb Music which is basically a slightly modified derivative of G-Funk

Mobb music isn't really a spinoff of G-Funk.  If anything, Mobb Music has actually been around longer than G-Funk.  You can trace Mobb Music back to Too Short "Freaky Tales" and E-40 "Mr. Flamboyant", both of which were out a couple of years before NWA's second album and The Chronic.  It was after 40 went major that Mobb Music became more recognized, but it's been around since Too Short's early days.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 02:05:29 PM by Untouchability »

SoCal Iz Active

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2006, 03:49:06 PM »

if it wasn't for white people, 99% of rappers would be dead broke and wouldn't be able to put out shit so shut ya yapper

Mo Z. Dizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Mo Z. Dizzle, the CEO of WCC Wrestling League
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2006, 04:56:39 PM »

if it wasn't for white people, 99% of rappers would be dead broke and wouldn't be able to put out shit so shut ya yapper

not just white fans, but ppl of all cultures; asians, brown ppl, etc
a lotta them just to listen to songs that are about the same old crap; this causes the large record companies to market the music in that direction; which is why rappers makes songs that have gone away from the roots of hip hop

i think D4L and DFB are just being used as scapegoats; how come nobody is blaming the Ying Yangs for mainly talkin about chicks and their asses and all that? or how come nobody is blaming CamRon for wearing pink and purple when before ud get ur ass kicked? Or Game getting a butterfly tattoo and doing a lot of things that seem to contradict each other?

hell, i know D4L and DFM aren't that good; but blaming solely these guys is BS; there's a lotta things that have been "killing" hip hop
it just isnt what it originally was now

The WCCWL is always looking for new members; take a chance at becoming a champ!! PM Mo Z. Dizzle if interested!!

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2006, 05:52:43 PM »

oh it's nothing wrong making money off them..that's okay..but i'm just talking about in general.
Just like snoop was saying.."making money off crackers.."
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

weaksauce19

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2006, 06:02:00 PM »
Like Paris says:

"What the hell happened to rap it just collapsed, perhaps its the ways of the 'paper chase clones'... homies go far for the selling of the soul".

Eihtball

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2006, 06:03:38 PM »
Mobb music isn't really a spinoff of G-Funk.  If anything, Mobb Music has actually been around longer than G-Funk.  You can trace Mobb Music back to Too Short "Freaky Tales" and E-40 "Mr. Flamboyant", both of which were out a couple of years before NWA's second album and The Chronic.  It was after 40 went major that Mobb Music became more recognized, but it's been around since Too Short's early days.

Those records are proto-Mobb Music, but they don't have the same type of bass bottoms as later Bay records.  By the time that "The Chronic" was out, Bay music was adopting a lot of the same Parliament/Funkadelic-style beats as G-Funk; the only difference was that the keyboards had far more tempo changes instead of the single key moving across an upper register that characterizes G-Funk.

Eihtball

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2006, 06:05:46 PM »

And if it wasn't for white people, 99% of the rappers who are on major labels wouldn't be putting out the same crap over and over just to move units.

Rappers may be making serious dough off whitey, but only by degrading themselves and the art form to suit the white kids' tastes.  The music was definitely of better quality (and less negative) before whitey jumped in the mix.

ac1386

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2006, 08:31:21 PM »
if it wasnt for white people the majority of these rappers wouldnt be rappers cause there'd be no money in the business. A big percentage of rappers get into hip-hop because its a legit hustle that they can do somewhat easily. A smaller percentage never wouldve gotten into it because it wouldnt have been popular enough to draw their interest which then grows into a love for the music. And of the ones that still  wouldve gotten into the game, a number of them wouldve given up because of the lack of income. Im not sayin white people killed or saved hip-hop(which by the way is a generalization, its more like the bandwagon hip-hop fans which is probly 90% of the white fans) but it is a give-take relationship.

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2006, 04:55:42 PM »
nelly killed it.

Thats crazy that u said that! right now i am listening to "OVER HERE" by Krs One where he disses Nelly. I just read this at the same time i am listening to this song! What a cawinkydink.

The Best of 3 Worlds

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2006, 04:59:44 PM »
The problem with trying to blame any specific artist, record label, coast or whatever is that it's simply not possible.  There are many, MANY artists who have been responsible for putting hip-hop in the state it's in, from all areas of the U.S. from the East to the West to the MidWest to the Dirty South.  Even artists who created great albums that are classics can be blamed for this decline because they influenced other, lesser artists who exploited what they did and cheapened the genre.  Don't believe me?  Consider this:

-Public Enemy's "It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back" proved that the best-selling type of hip-hop was the type that generated a backlash from cultural conservatives - hence proving that controversy sells.

-N.W.A. exploited the "controversy sells" rule on "Straight Outta Compton" opened the door for MCs throughout hip-hop to use profanity (including the word "nigga") and talk about violence, sex, and drugs on record and get away with it.  Ice-T, 2 Live Crew, and the Geto Boys did the same thing, albeit to a lesser extent.

-Dre's "The Chronic" was responsible for making all of what N.W.A. pioneered more accessible to the mainstream, hence making more rappers want to become "gangsta" rappers to get in where the dollars was at, and thus allowing negativity to dominate hip-hop.  Albums like Snoop's "Doggystyle" also helped spread the G-Funk style of "The Chronic", which was a commercialized, party-oriented sub-genre of gangsta rap that removed all of the political sentiments of cats like Ice Cube.

-Albums like Biggie's "Ready To Die", Nas' "Illmatic", Mobb Deep's "The Infamous", and the Wu's "Enter The 36 Chambers" made gangsta rap dominant on the East Coast as well as the West, dethroning the last of the Native Tongues/jazz-rappers like A Tribe Called Quest and the political rappers like Public Enemy and X-Clan.  The East Coast had originally been resistant to the gangsta movement, but now it had succumbed to it as well.

-Shit, you could even argue that Raekwon's "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx" began the obsession of hip-hop with capitalist tendencies and excessive materialism of the "bling bling" variety.  It was the first album in which the whole image of the mafioso-type gangsta rapper was practiced - you know, the kinda flossin' nigga who sips Cristal, drives a Benz, and lives like Donald Trump or Bill Gates.  After this album came out, many other East Coast rappers (like Biggie, Nas, and Mobb Deep) transitioned to the mafioso-type image, which Puffy, Mase, and Jay-Z exploited better than anyone else.

So you see, trying to point fingers never works.  I mean, think about all the rappers you hate today (50 Cent, Ja Rule, Young Jeezy, whoever) and ask yourself, "Who were these cats' influences?"  We all know Ja Rule idolizes 2Pac like a God.  50 has said that B.I.G., Nas, Jay-Z, Big L, and especially Mobb Deep (who he's now signed) were his biggest inspirations.  And I'm pretty sure I've heard Jeezy say he listened to Geto Boys, UGK, and 8Ball & MJG when he was growing up.  So what does that show?  Quite simply, that these other cats whom it's hearsay to talk about in a negative connotation played their part by inspiring future generations of artists that we believe suck.

hip hop was good in the 80s & 90s. it wasn't untill the 00's when the south started coming up that hip hop died. they destroyed and its been garbage since.

Nope...not even close, son.

Well said man well said.

The Best of 3 Worlds

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2006, 05:01:58 PM »
nelly killed it.

Thats crazy that u said that! right now i am listening to "OVER HERE" by Krs One where he disses Nelly. I just read this at the same time i am listening to this song! What a cawinkydink.

hahaha cawinkydink!!

Looking light skin, mommy wit tight slims,
Big butt, big breasts, I noticed that nice chin, (sturdy chin)
I approached her, slight rim, white tins,
Number you can type in, sexy on lightment
Ill just ask, ma, if we link we link,
You don’t like nuttin, me nether, what a cawinkydink (what a coincidence)

Camron : G.O.A.T