Author Topic: Oscar De La Hoya not to fight in 2006 (no mayweather vs. de la hoya)  (Read 848 times)

SGV

Re: Oscar De La Hoya not to fight in 2006 (no mayweather vs. de la hoya)
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2006, 11:04:53 AM »
7-4 if you count the Tito fight. I thought Hoya dominated Tito. He was fighting smart and lost. I don't understand how he fell off. He won a lot of big fights and continued to go after the big fight. Hoya fought in era where there was great talent everywhere and he stood amongst them all. When they said he fell off, he beat the crap out of Fernando Vargas. He went out to prove he could be hopkins, lost. Took a long break and decided to come back against Mayorga. They said he wouldn't be the same, he was washed up, his skills had diminished.... well... if you saw that Mayorga fight, De La Hoya was toying with Mayorga.

Word. People with little knowledge of Boxing will say he fell off. But the way he dominates people is top notch. De La Hoya is a stand up dude. He never really talks bad about people. He lets them look like the clowns. He then takes them down REAL quick. Where has Vargas been since the loss? Outside of Mosely (whom he lost to as well and is fighting again in July) and Castillejo, he didn't fight anyone of any real importance. Mayorga is done forever. Dudes not coming back.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2006, 11:11:15 AM »
You guys are all right. De La Hoya is in his prime...He didn't fall off one bit. ::)

SGV

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2006, 11:38:11 AM »
You guys are all right. De La Hoya is in his prime...He didn't fall off one bit. ::)

Fighting dudes like Hopkins and losing is NOT a bad thing. Losing to a GREAT fighter like Mosely (even if it was twice) is NOT a bad thing. Sure, it's an L, but like I said, at least it's to High Caliber fighters. But you fail to realize that he also fought dudes like Gatti, Castillejo, Vargas, Mayorga, Campas etc. and won since his first loss. Those are good fighters as well and De La Hoya TKO'd most of them. But, of course, nobody is perfect. Look at Ali.

He lost to Frazier (Beat him a few years later, 2 times), Norton (Beat him twice later), Spinks (Beat him later), Holmes (after a two year break from boxing) and one other time, I forget to who. But, it's no doubt that he was still great, even up until the end of his career. To say he fell off would be laughable. There comes a time in a person's career where they lose, they're only human. But, much like De La Hoya, even towards the end of his career, he took on a lot of fighters that were class fighters (Frazier, Norton, Spinks, Holmes etc.).

Falling off is Tyson. After losing to one of the greatest to do it, Holyfield (twice) he went in a spiral.  He had a few No Contests, lost to a good fighter in Lewis and so-so fighters like Williams and McBride. He beat a 3 or 4 medicore fighters, with Savarese being the only one of semi-importance. THAT'S falling off.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2006, 01:37:32 AM »
oscar is the man, i don't care how many he's lost, he's still the man, i think he proved that when he fucked up mayorga but i guess not

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2006, 03:44:17 AM »

Fighting dudes like Hopkins and losing is NOT a bad thing. Losing to a GREAT fighter like Mosely (even if it was twice) is NOT a bad thing. Sure, it's an L, but like I said, at least it's to High Caliber fighters. But you fail to realize that he also fought dudes like Gatti, Castillejo, Vargas, Mayorga, Campas etc. and won since his first loss. Those are good fighters as well and De La Hoya TKO'd most of them. But, of course, nobody is perfect. Look at Ali.

He lost to Frazier (Beat him a few years later, 2 times), Norton (Beat him twice later), Spinks (Beat him later), Holmes (after a two year break from boxing) and one other time, I forget to who. But, it's no doubt that he was still great, even up until the end of his career. To say he fell off would be laughable. There comes a time in a person's career where they lose, they're only human. But, much like De La Hoya, even towards the end of his career, he took on a lot of fighters that were class fighters (Frazier, Norton, Spinks, Holmes etc.).

Falling off is Tyson. After losing to one of the greatest to do it, Holyfield (twice) he went in a spiral.  He had a few No Contests, lost to a good fighter in Lewis and so-so fighters like Williams and McBride. He beat a 3 or 4 medicore fighters, with Savarese being the only one of semi-importance. THAT'S falling off.

I Was on the bandwagon homie, until ya got on my Homie Mike.
Come on homie, Tyson is the reason we grew up on boxing......

Agree on ya point's bout oscar...
but yo, Leave my childhood hero out of it bro...lmao

lol

SGV

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2006, 08:15:56 AM »
Of course Tyson is the reason I'm into Boxing. But, there's no denying he's horrible now. He epitomizes falling off. In the past ten years, he only has 3 notable wins: Bruno, Botha and Savarese.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2006, 11:18:44 AM »
Of course, Tyson fell off much harder than De La Hoya did, but that doesn't mean De La Hoya is still on top of his career...
De La Hoya 1999 >> De La Hoya 2006...PeACe

africas seed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2006, 11:25:38 AM »
haters always find a way to hate.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2006, 11:33:54 AM »
haters always find a way to hate.

I'm hating? I don't even care for boxing that much, it's just my opinion, and a very common one at that... ::)

SGV

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2006, 11:34:34 AM »
Of course, Tyson fell off much harder than De La Hoya did, but that doesn't mean De La Hoya is still on top of his career...

Not being on the top of his career and falling off are completely different things. De La Hoya still has a lot of fight in him and has proved it by beating the shit out of Campas, Mayorga and Vargas. Those fights showed De La Hoya in top form. Hell, even when he lost to Mosely and Trinidad, he was still showing a whole lot of fight. Outside of getting Knocked Out by Hopkins, he never really had a fight that he lost where it was one-sided. I don't see how anyone could say he fell off.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2006, 11:42:20 AM »

Not being on the top of his career and falling off are completely different things. De La Hoya still has a lot of fight in him and has proved it by beating the shit out of Campas, Mayorga and Vargas. Those fights showed De La Hoya in top form. Hell, even when he lost to Mosely and Trinidad, he was still showing a whole lot of fight. Outside of getting Knocked Out by Hopkins, he never really had a fight that he lost where it was one-sided. I don't see how anyone could say he fell off.

I never said he fell off to the bottom, falling off can simply mean he's not as good as he used to be...Sure he's still got fight in him, he should if he's still boxing. He's simply on a decline, not an uprise...Shaq fell off, but he's still an all-star. Falling off doesn't mean you suck...

Sikotic™

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2006, 11:46:55 AM »
I'm sure De La Hoya could easily be "on top of his career" if he pulled a Roy Jones and fought a bunch of nobodies until he gets into his late 30's. People forget he's only 32-33 because he's been at this for so long. He's still kinda young by boxing's standards. But anyways, the point is he's still a great fighter. As long as he is focused (like with the Mayorga fight), he can still bring it in the ring like in '99.

Wins and losses aren't necessarily everything either.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

SGV

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2006, 11:51:39 AM »
Na... Oscar has not fell off. Sure, he's not the Golden Boy he was 10 years ago, but he's still whooping people as if that was the case. He got out-classed a few times, it happens. Doesn't mean he fell off. Means he finally met his match in Mosely and Hopkins (Not Trinidad, cuz it's very obvious that he got cheated out of that fight). Oscar is still one of the best fighters in Boxing.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2006, 11:53:23 AM »
Na... Oscar has not fell off. Sure, he's not the Golden Boy he was 10 years ago, but he's still whooping people as if that was the case. He got out-classed a few times, it happens. Doesn't mean he fell off. Means he finally met his match in Mosely and Hopkins (Not Trinidad, cuz it's very obvious that he got cheated out of that fight). Oscar is still one of the best fighters in Boxing.

Cool...That's your opinion.

SGV

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2006, 11:54:56 AM »
Bowing out gracefully eh? :loser:

watch that spark nik to get mad