Author Topic: The NBA Is Coming Out with A New Official Game Ball...  (Read 248 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

The NBA Is Coming Out with A New Official Game Ball...
« on: June 28, 2006, 02:48:59 PM »
http://www.spalding.com/home/index.php

NEW YORK -- Sure, the shooting in the NBA might improve. David Stern sees another benefit to the league's new official game ball, though.

As the commissioner joked Wednesday, now his signature gets to go on the ball twice.

That is just one of the changes on the new game ball, which was unveiled by league and Spalding officials at a news conference at the NBA Store and will be put into use at the start of the 2006-07 season.

The biggest, and most important, difference is that the ball is no longer leather. Instead, it's made of a microfiber composite that allows for a much better and more consistent grip.

The ability to grip the leather was a driving reason behind the first change to the ball in more than 35 years.

"That really became a challenge, particularly when the ball was wet," said executive vice president of operations Stu Jackson.

Jackson said the ball was tested at the 2005 All-Star game and predraft camp. The league then asked Spalding to make some changes, and it was brought back for more testing at this year's All-Star game and in the Development League.

Most players will be familiar with the feel of the new ball. Stern pointed out that leather balls were no longer used at the high school or collegiate level, and Jackson estimated that "99 percent" of the league's players grew up using only a composite ball.

"This is another step as we all work together to improve the game of basketball," Stern said.

Gone also is the old eight-panel design, replaced by one featuring two panels -- each bearing the signature "David J. Stern."

Boston Celtics All-Star Paul Pierce and former NBA player Kenny Smith both pointed to the inconsistencies of a leather ball, which they said needed to be broken in before it felt right. Plus, the feel of the balls differed from arena to arena.

Every one of the balls should now feel, grip and bounce the same.

"Maybe I can cut down on my turnovers next year," Pierce said.

I don't really like the new ball or the idea of changing the original one and going as far as changing the look...I dunno, it just don't look right...On the other hand, with the improved grip, this could change Kwame's career...LOL. Kwame Brown, All-Star 2007. ;D

Spicemuthafuc*in1

Re: The NBA Is Coming Out with A New Official Game Ball...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 03:55:13 PM »
Its alrite, yeah lol at Kwame if he could hold on to the ball he would get an extra 5-6 shots a game.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 04:09:13 PM »
that is so gay, MONEY LEECHING MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 04:31:42 PM »
good move
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 11:14:24 AM »
good move

How so? I bet shooting percentages will go down...And the design is just wrong. :grumpy:

coola

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 08:25:34 AM »
ball looks dope, dont see why you would be pissed about it ?? only shows benefits..

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 11:28:54 AM »
ball looks dope, dont see why you would be pissed about it ?? only shows benefits..

I'm pissed because they're losing the OG shit that we grew up on and changing the design of the basketball as we know it...At least if they kept the design the same. But no, they have to make everything look all futuristic...There was nothing wrong with the official game ball, and now soft touches will now have to be a lot softer...PeACe