Author Topic: Rappers Vs Lyracists  (Read 120 times)

=[Euthanasia]=

Rappers Vs Lyracists
« on: January 24, 2002, 02:58:12 AM »
From Davey D

The main difference I think about between lyricists and rappers is that lyricists have something original and important to say in their lyrics- they don't bite off of other people's rhymes and they don't write songs just for mainstream appeal. As for Jigga, I respect his ability and he is a real talented emcee, but he bites the late Notorious BIG's rhymes way too often. He took a whole rhyme scheme of BIG's and flipped it into a huge radio hit and didn't mention BIG's name in the song once- if you hadn't heard BIG's original verse then you'd have no idea Jay-Z was jacking him. There are small lines that Jay-z takes right out of BIG's mouth and straight into his lyrics- I lose even more respect for him every time he does it.

I was glad Nas didn't pull any punches on Ether- "how many of Biggie's rhymes is gonna come out your fat lips" and with the line " your man stabbed Un and made you take the blame" oh, and by the way, I like Snoop, but Kool G Rap is ten times the lyricist that snoop is. I know you've heard Kool G. Rap rhyme one syllable for what seems like forever.

late
DJ MIKE D

================================================

This is some of the realest shit i've read in a long time regarding the difference between rappers and lyracists (first few lines), & I think this is where alot of non Pac fans don't realise that Pac was/is a great MC, I mean he had a lot of important shit to say. Peeps that aren't big Pac fans r always complaining that people give him too much credit by making him out to be a more consious than he really was/is. Hell, his rhymes were simplistic at times but u didn't see him bite others & he always had a message, behind every rhyme. I think it's about time Pac got alot more credit for being the great MC that he was/is & that people stop fronting on him because he had mainstream success.
Just thought i'd post this up cos recently in other forums where there's mainly east coast heads as soon as I bring up Pac being the G.O.A.T everyone keeps jumping down my throat claiming I ain't no real hip-hop fan. Fuck that, I love hip-hop as much as the next real head. I respect others oppinions but there's alot of ignorance about these days regarding what and what isn't real hip-hop.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Rappers Vs Lyracists
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2002, 05:38:51 AM »
i think that should clear up all this eminem vs. snoop garbage...oh and on this note, i finally picked up rakim- the master and it is amazing, the lyrical wizzardry on this album is beyond me and is what keeps me writing, peace.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
Re: Rappers Vs Lyracists
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2002, 09:24:37 PM »
From Davey D

The main difference I think about between lyricists and rappers is that lyricists have something original and important to say in their lyrics- they don't bite off of other people's rhymes and they don't write songs just for mainstream appeal. As for Jigga, I respect his ability and he is a real talented emcee, but he bites the late Notorious BIG's rhymes way too often. He took a whole rhyme scheme of BIG's and flipped it into a huge radio hit and didn't mention BIG's name in the song once- if you hadn't heard BIG's original verse then you'd have no idea Jay-Z was jacking him. There are small lines that Jay-z takes right out of BIG's mouth and straight into his lyrics- I lose even more respect for him every time he does it.

I was glad Nas didn't pull any punches on Ether- "how many of Biggie's rhymes is gonna come out your fat lips" and with the line " your man stabbed Un and made you take the blame" oh, and by the way, I like Snoop, but Kool G Rap is ten times the lyricist that snoop is. I know you've heard Kool G. Rap rhyme one syllable for what seems like forever.

late
DJ MIKE D

================================================

This is some of the realest shit i've read in a long time regarding the difference between rappers and lyracists (first few lines), & I think this is where alot of non Pac fans don't realise that Pac was/is a great MC, I mean he had a lot of important shit to say. Peeps that aren't big Pac fans r always complaining that people give him too much credit by making him out to be a more consious than he really was/is. Hell, his rhymes were simplistic at times but u didn't see him bite others & he always had a message, behind every rhyme. I think it's about time Pac got alot more credit for being the great MC that he was/is & that people stop fronting on him because he had mainstream success.
Just thought i'd post this up cos recently in other forums where there's mainly east coast heads as soon as I bring up Pac being the G.O.A.T everyone keeps jumping down my throat claiming I ain't no real hip-hop fan. Fuck that, I love hip-hop as much as the next real head. I respect others oppinions but there's alot of ignorance about these days regarding what and what isn't real hip-hop.

I REALY DONT THINK THAT taking lil lines out of BIG"z shit
sayez anythang bout jiggaz skillz.....first....JAY-z iz a very diffrend MC than biggie waz....and while  linez like this would be dominant in BIGz shit they sound completley inocent and  at most ,remindin", of biggie....it aint like he takes flowez, structures and conceptz from biggie (you know like NAS did wit RAKIMz style...throughut all of hiz career...)....he just remindz tha peepz dat iz hating on him....who thought well of him....-...when jigga used a sequel to BIGz rhyme on FAMILIAs GIVE IT TO ME.....and that waz kinda longer than tha shit he usez on the blueprint, BIGGIE waz credited as a co-writer on that one....even though tha shit waznt a chorus....or any other multi usable part of tha track....
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?