Author Topic: Ronaldo set for award.....  (Read 147 times)

Sweet & Tender Hooligan

Ronaldo set for award.....
« on: July 06, 2006, 04:38:36 AM »
PORTUGAL'S Cristiano Ronaldo is set to anger England fans further - with a helping hand from the Tartan Army.

The Manchester United winger is on course to be crowned FIFA's Young Player of the Tournament after Scotland fans organised a voting campaign in support of the youngster.

Tartan Army internet message boards have been urging fans to pluck for Ronaldo on the official World Cup website - and so far things are working a treat.

With the poll soon to close Ronaldo leads the way on 27 per cent - with an incredible 210,290 votes.

Ecuadorian Luis Valencia is in second with 25 per cent and Argentina's Lionel Messi third with 15 per cent.

Ronaldo has been blamed by the English players and supporters for his role in Wayne Rooney's sending off in Saturday's quarter-final.

Rooney stamped on Ricardo Carvalho and then pushed Old Trafford teammate Ronaldo before being red-carded. Ronaldo then winked at the Portugal bench as Rooney left the field.

Chairman of the North of Scotland Tartan Army, Alan Duncan, insists the voting campaign should be taken in good spirits.

He said: "Ronaldo winking at the bench was right up our street. It's typical of the Tartan Army to vote for Ronaldo as we will always find a way of getting a Scottish slant on these things.

"The red card couldn't have happened to a nicer person. We had to put up with all the hype about him and his injured foot for weeks.

"There is a T-Shirt, which our London branch produces, and it has all the names of the players who have helped knock England out down the years.

"They only decision they have to make is whether to add Ronaldo's name or Ricardo's."

The Maestro

wcsoldier

Re: Ronaldo set for award.....
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 04:43:40 AM »
I bet only chicks voted for him...

mauzip

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 04:51:44 AM »
That's rediculous. FIFA should punish him for his behaviour on the field.

wcsoldier

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 04:56:40 AM »
^^^ yep, the worst thing is that Portugaese press said they were stolen by the ref yersterday.. Plus Scolari said "if France had a penalty, I think Ronaldo deserved one  :eh: :grumpy:

'EclipZe

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 06:42:32 AM »
scolari shouldve been sent of to the tribune wtf, that f00 was trippin yo.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 06:47:37 AM »
Cristiano the fake Ronaldo, go to sleep bitch.

^^^ yep, the worst thing is that Portugaese press said they were stolen by the ref yersterday.. Plus Scolari said "if France had a penalty, I think Ronaldo deserved one  :eh: :grumpy:

Lol

kemizt

Fonky Fresh

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 07:15:23 AM »
do portuguese have eyez?
Watch Now Old School Rap Videos here: THIS PAGE
My soundcloud !

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 09:17:21 AM »
And the response,

Supporters hijack Ronaldo vote 

A concerted email campaign by England fans could rob Ronaldo of the World Cup's best young player award.
The Portuguese winger, pilloried for his part in the sending off of Wayne Rooney, was leading the Fifa website vote by a huge margin.

But an email urging fans to vote for Ecuador's Luis Valencia instead led to an incredible 24-hour turnaround.

Ronaldo went from 210,290 to 241,775 votes, but Valencia soared from 195,377 to 331,087. Fifa has the final say.

As well as Ronaldo and Valencia, the other player nominated by fans is Argentina's Lionel Messi.

The other three candidates, chosen by Fifa's technical study group, are Germany's Lukas Podolski, Switzerland's Tranquilo Barnetta and Spain's Cesc Fabregas.

The original email sent to fans read: "There is a very real danger that Cristiano Ronaldo will be voted the fans' best young player at the World Cup despite his pouting, diving, pretty boy antics - designed mainly to get himself a lucrative transfer to Real Madrid.

"He is currently first in the Fifa voting, ahead of Luis Valencia of Ecuador. Do the decent thing by voting for Valencia.

"It doesn't matter who you support or if you haven't seen them play, just stop Ronaldo. Send this on to any caring conscientious true football lover."

The winner of the award will be announced on Friday, when a shortlist of six players - three chosen by the public and three by Fifa - will be whittled down to one by a 14-man panel.

If they go with the popular vote it will cap a miserable few days for Ronaldo, who left the field in tears after Portugal's defeat by France in the World Cup semi-final.

He was roundly booed every time he touched the ball, with a sizeable contingent of England fans in the crowd leading the way.

The hate campaign started after the quarter-final between England and Portugal in Gelsenkirchen, when Ronaldo was pushed by Manchester United team-mate Rooney, just before the England striker received a red card.

Ronaldo was caught on camera apparently winking at the bench after Rooney's dismissal, infuriating England fans.

In a final twist to the email saga, the Daily Record reported that it was in fact Scotland fans who had helped propel Ronaldo to the number one spot with a viral campaign of their own designed to heap further misery on England fans.

The paper said: "Tartan Army internet message boards have been urging fans to pluck for Ronaldo on the official World Cup website - and so far things are working a treat."

Canuck

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 02:27:35 PM »
Messi should have won IMO

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 02:31:50 PM »

He probably would if the coach would have given him more playing time  :nawty: Peckermann = weirdo
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 02:45:12 PM »

messi prolly would have won it should he have been allowed on the pitch for more than 20 minutes
NO MORE WAR

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
NO MORE WAR

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!

kemizt