Author Topic: Dogg Food First Week Sales  (Read 1201 times)

westkoastanostra

Re: Dogg Food First Week Sales
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2006, 08:12:45 AM »
dogg food aint no classic....doggystyle, chronic, 2001, all eyez on me are classics...

dexter

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2006, 12:43:07 PM »
It did far better than "Cali Iz Active", if that's what you're wondering.  I don't remember exact numbers, but "Dogg Food" is certified 2x Platinum, so it must have sold pretty well in its first week, considering that it produced almost no big hits on the charts.
Right
Some of YOU act like East Coast fans.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2006, 03:03:49 PM »
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2006, 07:17:39 PM »
Illamatic, Makaveli, Paid in Full, The Chronic, Ready to Die, those are classics.

Dogg Food, Doggystyle, the Predator, those a great albums that have great replay value. People forget the difference.

Doggystyle NOT a classic?!!

you heard right... listen to Snoops lyrics, and tell me his flow didn't hide most of his weakness. He had classic singles off that CD.
im investigating this claim

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New

acgrundy

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2006, 09:16:47 PM »

Suga Foot

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2006, 10:13:37 PM »
I don't really remember much promotion for Dogg Food.  I remember Dre mentioning it at an award show, and I saw a tv commercial a few times.  I had no idea about the contraversy around it (because I was only 13 at the time).  But I picked it up and it was dope.  It never hit #1 on Rapcity (in Canada) because of that god damn Blahzay Blahzay song

Doggystylin

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2006, 10:39:04 PM »

pwned

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2006, 02:09:09 AM »
doggfood is a clasic. fo sho

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2006, 02:13:01 AM »

IMO its not a true classic.. its just an older decent album...

Opinions vary and that's a good thing...  8)

When I first popped it in my CD player and Dogg Pound Gangstaz came on that was it, I already knew right then that this album was gonna be a classic (at least to me) but I remember some of my friends at that time weren't really feeling it because of the beats they were expecting songs produced by Dre... Didn't really bother me though, Daz was already in my top 5 of favourite producers at that time...

Opinions may vary, but "classic status" ain't an opinion, it's earned.

Face it...who else besides you and the other cats from DubCC are bumping this album today?  Do you think anyone remembers "Let's Play House" or "NY, NY" the way that they remember "Nuthin But A G Thang" or "Gin and Juice"?  Of course not...because "Dogg Food" ain't no classic.  It's an excellent album, IMO, but that don't make it a classic automatically.

West Coast fans have a tendency to call any album they like a classic.  That's just not the way it works.  I have the impression most of y'all are 15-year olds who probably heard the album for the first time only like 2 years ago (if that) anyway.  But y'all gotta learn - if an album doesn't stand the test of time, it doesn't deserve "classic" status.

If you're the only person you know (again, besides other West Coast fans) bumping "Dogg Food" after 10 years, then your opinion doesn't seem to hold up.

What are u talking about? You dont know who is bumping it and who isnt? And Dogg Food does stand the test of time..

The Best of 3 Worlds

Eihtball

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2006, 06:49:48 AM »
What are u talking about? You dont know who is bumping it and who isnt? And Dogg Food does stand the test of time..

I work on a college campus, I have satellite radio, and lots of my friends, colleagues, etc. are cats in their late-20s' and early-30s' who grew up in the 90s' listening to hip-hop.

It's common sense, homie.  Ask almost anyone on the street who DPG is and they wouldn't know who the fuck you're talking about.  The "Cali Iz Active" sales don't lie...almost nobody outside of the most hardcore West fans give a fuck about them.  Knowing that, what would possibly make you think there's a lot of people bumping "Dogg Food"?

If the album stood the test of time, then more people would know Daz and Kurupt the way they know Snoop, Pac, or Dre.  But obviously, they don't.

Native_Joe99

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2006, 01:52:00 AM »

I work on a college campus, I have satellite radio, and lots of my friends, colleagues, etc. are cats in their late-20s' and early-30s' who grew up in the 90s' listening to hip-hop.

It's common sense, homie.  Ask almost anyone on the street who DPG is and they wouldn't know who the fuck you're talking about.  The "Cali Iz Active" sales don't lie...almost nobody outside of the most hardcore West fans give a fuck about them.  Knowing that, what would possibly make you think there's a lot of people bumping "Dogg Food"?

If the album stood the test of time, then more people would know Daz and Kurupt the way they know Snoop, Pac, or Dre.  But obviously, they don't.

well i don't know if i could agree with you or not because alot of people i know, know who DPG is, and alot of cats still listen to them, maybe not as much these days, but 2 or 3 threes back yeah. but i haven't spent too much time on the eastcoast jus to visit, so i would conduct a survey asking people whether or not they know who the dogg pound is. have you i mean , its pretty gutsy so say something like that if you don't know the truth.

truedupbluedup

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2006, 02:02:44 AM »

well i don't know if i could agree with you or not because alot of people i know, know who DPG is, and alot of cats still listen to them, maybe not as much these days, but 2 or 3 threes back yeah. but i haven't spent too much time on the eastcoast jus to visit, so i would conduct a survey asking people whether or not they know who the dogg pound is. have you i mean , its pretty gutsy so say something like that if you don't know the truth.

If they didnt know who they were before, they knew after Kurupt spit New York New York. I know At least NEW YORK heard that!

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2006, 02:05:06 AM »

i could actually agree with u on this.
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

Eihtball

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2006, 06:36:39 AM »

People YOU know.  Who are these people you know?  I am talking about the average cat who listens mostly to what's in the mainstream and maybe a little bit of the more revered alternative hip-hop (i.e. Talib or Common).  As I have said, honestly, how many of these sorts of people do you think bump "Dogg Food" these days?  If you go into a club or a bar these days, what is the chance you're going to hear the DJ spin "Let's Play House" instead of "Gin and Juice"?  Pretty much nil, right?  I don't need a survey to tell me the answer...it is common sense.  And neither should you, if you have no bias.

I think the bottom line is this...a "classic" album isn't just an album you think is good, it's an album that changed the game in some way or another.  "The Chronic" and "Doggystyle" both represent hip-hop landmarks cause they're the albums that started the G-Funk movement and the beginning of gangsta rap's rise to mainstream prominence, plus they announced the arrival of Snoop Dogg, one of hip-hop's biggest stars.  "Dogg Food" didn't do nothing except follow the trail those albums had already laid, largely by following the same formula.  It may have had good production and Kurupt's ill rhymes, but did it really change the game, and did it really make Kurupt and Daz into household names the way "Doggystyle" made Snoop a household name?  Of course not.

Case closed.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 06:43:16 AM by 2 Muh'phuccin Xtra 4 Cali »