Author Topic: Dogg Food First Week Sales  (Read 1207 times)

Native_Joe99

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Dogg Food First Week Sales
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2006, 07:57:47 PM »
well i don't know if i could agree with you or not because alot of people i know, know who DPG is, and alot of cats still listen to them, maybe not as much these days, but 2 or 3 threes back yeah. but i haven't spent too much time on the eastcoast jus to visit, so i would conduct a survey asking people whether or not they know who the dogg pound is. have you i mean , its pretty gutsy so say something like that if you don't know the truth.

People YOU know.  Who are these people you know?  I am talking about the average cat who listens mostly to what's in the mainstream and maybe a little bit of the more revered alternative hip-hop (i.e. Talib or Common).  As I have said, honestly, how many of these sorts of people do you think bump "Dogg Food" these days?  If you go into a club or a bar these days, what is the chance you're going to hear the DJ spin "Let's Play House" instead of "Gin and Juice"?  Pretty much nil, right?  I don't need a survey to tell me the answer...it is common sense.  And neither should you, if you have no bias.

I think the bottom line is this...a "classic" album isn't just an album you think is good, it's an album that changed the game in some way or another.  "The Chronic" and "Doggystyle" both represent hip-hop landmarks cause they're the albums that started the G-Funk movement and the beginning of gangsta rap's rise to mainstream prominence, plus they announced the arrival of Snoop Dogg, one of hip-hop's biggest stars.  "Dogg Food" didn't do nothing except follow the trail those albums had already laid, largely by following the same formula.  It may have had good production and Kurupt's ill rhymes, but did it really change the game, and did it really make Kurupt and Daz into household names the way "Doggystyle" made Snoop a household name?  Of course not.

Case closed.

Well how would you define who the average cat is? does the average cat, just listen to radio? some or little hip hop? sounds like the average white cat to me, and like i said out of all the people that I KNOW, know exactly who DPG is, whether or not they listen to them right now or not.

It's common sense, homie.  Ask almost anyone on the street who DPG is and they wouldn't know who the fuck you're talking about. 

Thats the point i was making responding to what you said ^^

Active Ingredient

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • wake up in tha mornin with my lucky charms cereal
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2006, 08:31:17 PM »
back in the day practicly anything that came out on deathrow was move units.  Plus all the tracks daz and kurupt were featured on for the chronic and doggystyle had to help promote them. i dont think a single's success always tells how many units an album will push

"I keep it gangsta for the kids" -Goldie Loc

Eihtball

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2006, 07:00:10 AM »
Well how would you define who the average cat is? does the average cat, just listen to radio? some or little hip hop? sounds like the average white cat to me, and like i said out of all the people that I KNOW, know exactly who DPG is, whether or not they listen to them right now or not.

I DID define the "average cat", read it again.

The people you know clearly aren't average cats.

Don Seer

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2006, 07:03:18 AM »
well i don't know if i could agree with you or not because alot of people i know, know who DPG is, and alot of cats still listen to them, maybe not as much these days, but 2 or 3 threes back yeah. but i haven't spent too much time on the eastcoast jus to visit, so i would conduct a survey asking people whether or not they know who the dogg pound is. have you i mean , its pretty gutsy so say something like that if you don't know the truth.

People YOU know.  Who are these people you know?  I am talking about the average cat who listens mostly to what's in the mainstream and maybe a little bit of the more revered alternative hip-hop (i.e. Talib or Common).  As I have said, honestly, how many of these sorts of people do you think bump "Dogg Food" these days?  If you go into a club or a bar these days, what is the chance you're going to hear the DJ spin "Let's Play House" instead of "Gin and Juice"?  Pretty much nil, right?  I don't need a survey to tell me the answer...it is common sense.  And neither should you, if you have no bias.

I think the bottom line is this...a "classic" album isn't just an album you think is good, it's an album that changed the game in some way or another.  "The Chronic" and "Doggystyle" both represent hip-hop landmarks cause they're the albums that started the G-Funk movement and the beginning of gangsta rap's rise to mainstream prominence, plus they announced the arrival of Snoop Dogg, one of hip-hop's biggest stars.  "Dogg Food" didn't do nothing except follow the trail those albums had already laid, largely by following the same formula.  It may have had good production and Kurupt's ill rhymes, but did it really change the game, and did it really make Kurupt and Daz into household names the way "Doggystyle" made Snoop a household name?  Of course not.

Case closed.

finally the classic albums debate ethered..

dexter

« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2006, 08:02:15 AM »
Very good CD :o

herpes

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2006, 08:31:13 AM »
i dont know how anyone can not think doggystyle is a classic
b/c lyrically its trash.  But everything else on the album is so strong that it hides it.

djkoast

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2006, 01:46:31 PM »
b/c lyrically its trash.  But everything else on the album is so strong that it hides it.
How is it trash lyrically?  Because there is no punchlines?  No lines rhyming the same over twice?  Storytelling on that album is top notch .  Lodi Dodi and Murder Was the Case are two CLASSIC storytelling tracks.  Some of the best in hip hop history.  If telling a story in a track as good as he did on those two songs are not considered lyrical I dunno what is.

Plus other aspects of MCing.... like flow, mic presence, breath control, and being perfectly clear when saying your raps  is on point on that album.
http://the9elements.blogspot.com/

News, fashion, audio downloads, videos, reviews, and upcoming events from LA to NYC!

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2006, 04:07:31 PM »
How is it trash lyrically?  Because there is no punchlines?  No lines rhyming the same over twice?  Storytelling on that album is top notch .  Lodi Dodi and Murder Was the Case are two CLASSIC storytelling tracks.  Some of the best in hip hop history.  If telling a story in a track as good as he did on those two songs are not considered lyrical I dunno what is.

Plus other aspects of MCing.... like flow, mic presence, breath control, and being perfectly clear when saying your raps  is on point on that album.
Lodi Dodi was stolen tho. dont forget that. he didnt really tell that story, he just changed some words to make it 'his'

Native_Joe99

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2006, 07:01:25 PM »

Lodi Dodi was stolen tho. dont forget that. he didnt really tell that story, he just changed some words to make it 'his'

yeah like 2 words lol