Author Topic: Scott Storch Article From RS  (Read 492 times)

Rud

• Kingdingaling
  • Connected
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Scott Storch Article From RS
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 09:32:20 AM »
Good Read but im amazed how no one seemed to note he seems like an arrogant twat.

Westcoast News Network // www.dubcnn.com // Westcoast News Network

UWA 187

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 09:43:58 AM »
Great article! Thanks for posting it.

BTW, what's RS? Got a link?

Word to Everything

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 09:44:58 AM »
The text message was from Dre.

Canuck

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2006, 02:54:53 PM »
Storch's beats are incredibly hit-or-miss.  Yeah, he's been responsible for a number of chart-topping singles in recent years, but when you consider the fact that he sells beats to hundreds of rappers/singers every year, his ratio of success-to-failure is probably extremely oft-centered.  For every "Candy Shop" or "Lean Back" he's put out, he's done something like Chamillionaire's "Turn It Up" where he charged $300 Grande for a beat that sank quickly off the charts, or Cube's "Why We Thugs" which never even entered the charts.  So for that reason, he shouldn't be so surprised that not all of his clients have absolute faith in his hit-making abilities.

He also pretty much admits how formula-driven his music really is - on the one hand, he criticizes Paris Hilton's label for choosing a safe party song as her first single instead of something he produced, and yet he also admits that he dumbs down his own style for almost the same reason.
True, but IMO "Turn it Up" and "Why We Thugs" are way better beats than "Candy Shop" or "Lean Back"

Eihtball

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 08:12:02 AM »
True, but IMO "Turn it Up" and "Why We Thugs" are way better beats than "Candy Shop" or "Lean Back"

Not relevent to the discussion.  I was simply explaining why it is that not all of his clients give him repeat business - the reason being that having a Storch beat on your album is rarely a guarantee of having a hit single.

And all of those beats aren't that good, IMO...I have never felt Storch's work all that much, except for an occasional joint like WC's "The Streets".

kingwell

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 03:34:42 PM »
Good Read but im amazed how no one seemed to note he seems like an arrogant twat.

I was just about to post about that he is a bit cocky.  Nonetheless, it makes for a good read.

WestCoasta

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2006, 04:01:24 PM »
this guys production is so fuckin monotone I wanna kill myself when I hear some of his shit

WestCoasta

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2006, 04:07:28 PM »
But Storch purposely keeps his music simpler than he could make it so that it'll sell to millions of Americans. "It's a chore for me to hold back my mind to do this simple shit," he says. "The best musicians technically -- they make the least. A great jazz musician doesn't really ever sell huge amounts of copies. People want something they can understand, something they can break down in their head and understand the rhythms. There's more money in those little songs."
wow