Author Topic: ready to die or life after death  (Read 769 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: ready to die or life after death
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 10:07:54 AM »
According to your definition, MC Hammer has put out a classic album...

Hammer was important to hip-hop history.  It was his popularity that broke down the doors for greater acceptance of hip-hop in the mainstream.

On the other hand, his music is only "classic" in the sense that it's basically an amusing footnote in hip-hop history.  Biggie's music, on the other hand, is still respected and loved to this day.  In other words, "U Can't Touch This" hasn't aged as gracefully as "Hypnotize"...that is the difference, son.

You said nothing of how it "aged", all you said was...

an album can't have that kind of impact on hip-hop and NOT be considered a classic.

...son.

And I still stand by that statement.  Generally speaking, "classic" status is determined by the effect that an album has on the genre.  It's just that "Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em" is a classic for nostalgia reasons only, while "Life After Death" is a classic because it contains some of the greatest hip-hop music ever recorded.

Okay, well I disagree...I think a classic is defined by the quality of the music first and foremost. Impact is a small portion of why albums are classics...Hell, I consider Tech N9ne's "Calm Before The Storm" a classic, and it probably had a lot less impact on hip-hop than his more popular albums, which I DON'T consider classic...

Eihtball

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 03:35:58 PM »
Okay, well I disagree...I think a classic is defined by the quality of the music first and foremost. Impact is a small portion of why albums are classics...Hell, I consider Tech N9ne's "Calm Before The Storm" a classic, and it probably had a lot less impact on hip-hop than his more popular albums, which I DON'T consider classic...

Ah, but see, that's where you are mistaken.  The impact that an artist/album/song has upon hip-hop is EXTREMELY important when determining "classic" status.  An album doesn't get classic status simply because it's quality or because you like it...this is a debate I've often had with people who argue that "Dogg Food" is a classic.  Objectively speaking, what impact has Tech N9ne had on hip-hop?  I respect dude's style, but he hasn't changed hip-hop in a significant way with any of his albums.

So no, quality of music is actually LESS important.  I realize that must horrify the hip-hop purists who hate cats like Hammer and 50, but the fact is that an album gotta change the game (either for better or worse) to get that distinction.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 05:51:33 PM »

Ah, but see, that's where you are mistaken.  The impact that an artist/album/song has upon hip-hop is EXTREMELY important when determining "classic" status.  An album doesn't get classic status simply because it's quality or because you like it...this is a debate I've often had with people who argue that "Dogg Food" is a classic.  Objectively speaking, what impact has Tech N9ne had on hip-hop?  I respect dude's style, but he hasn't changed hip-hop in a significant way with any of his albums.

So no, quality of music is actually LESS important.  I realize that must horrify the hip-hop purists who hate cats like Hammer and 50, but the fact is that an album gotta change the game (either for better or worse) to get that distinction.

Yes, I don't think I'm mistaking at all, you simply don't believe quality is the biggest attribute to considering something a classic, while that's the first thing that I believe must be considered when determining somethings stature...PeACe

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2006, 03:52:15 AM »

Going by that theory though, both of Biggie's albums can't be classics, because I don't believe they both changed the game, only Ready to Die did that. You also have to bring quality into the issue as well, as for me Life After Death is probably a 8/10 album at best, so whatever its so called impact can't be described as a classic.

hempkside2

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2006, 04:14:05 AM »
Hammers 1st,and 2nd lps where classic..was not a big fan back then,but I could not front on the nigga.had some of my best dice games on "turn this mutha out."

Eihtball

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2006, 08:16:31 AM »
Yes, I don't think I'm mistaking at all, you simply don't believe quality is the biggest attribute to considering something a classic, while that's the first thing that I believe must be considered when determining somethings stature...PeACe

I know, but you are wrong and I am right.  History has proven me correct time and again.  You can say all you want about Tech N9ne's albums, but really, who's going to remember any of dude's albums 15 years from now?  In comparison, "Hypnotize" is forever going to be a popular party joint.

However, don't get it twisted...generally speaking, if an album changes the game, it does so because it's a quality album.  Cats like Hammer are the exceptions; many of hip-hop's most important albums are also its best ("Paid In Full", "Straight Outta Compton", "The Chronic", "Ready To Die", etc.)

Going by that theory though, both of Biggie's albums can't be classics, because I don't believe they both changed the game, only Ready to Die did that. You also have to bring quality into the issue as well, as for me Life After Death is probably a 8/10 album at best, so whatever its so called impact can't be described as a classic.

You are also wrong.

I have explained already - "Life After Death" did indeed change the game.  It was pretty much that album which confirmed that the East Coast had displaced the West Coast once again, and it put Bad Boy on top as a hip-hop empire.  And as I have said, it produced two hits which are still in heavy rotation today - "Hypnotize" and "Mo Money Mo Problems".  That is certainly "changing the game".

As far as quality goes, it is often less important than you seem to believe.  Many critics thought "Doggystyle" was only an excellent album when it came out, but over a decade later, we now consider it a classic.  It's all about how time treats an album.  As far as YOUR opinion goes, that is just that - your opinion.  But as I have said, history does not lie - "Life After Death" is pretty much guaranteed an immortal place in hip-hop history whether you like it or not.  That is what makes it a "classic".
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 08:22:13 AM by 2 Muh'phuccin Xtra 4 Cali »

ABN

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2006, 09:16:14 AM »
Ready To Die coz it didn´t have as much filler as Life After Death. and LAD didn´t really sell diamond, it sold 5 million units but it´s certified diamond(just like Outkast last album)coz a double album counts as 2 when RIAA does their certifications.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 09:26:41 AM by Pissin' On The Throne »

gav09

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2006, 09:24:47 AM »
Ready To Die  8)
I will believe Detox when I hear a single for it and have the album in my hands.
but what if you loose your hands before Detox drops?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2006, 11:43:02 AM »

I know, but you are wrong and I am right.  History has proven me correct time and again.  You can say all you want about Tech N9ne's albums, but really, who's going to remember any of dude's albums 15 years from now?  In comparison, "Hypnotize" is forever going to be a popular party joint.

However, don't get it twisted...generally speaking, if an album changes the game, it does so because it's a quality album.  Cats like Hammer are the exceptions; many of hip-hop's most important albums are also its best ("Paid In Full", "Straight Outta Compton", "The Chronic", "Ready To Die", etc.)

You are also wrong.

I have explained already - "Life After Death" did indeed change the game.  It was pretty much that album which confirmed that the East Coast had displaced the West Coast once again, and it put Bad Boy on top as a hip-hop empire.  And as I have said, it produced two hits which are still in heavy rotation today - "Hypnotize" and "Mo Money Mo Problems".  That is certainly "changing the game".

As far as quality goes, it is often less important than you seem to believe.  Many critics thought "Doggystyle" was only an excellent album when it came out, but over a decade later, we now consider it a classic.  It's all about how time treats an album.  As far as YOUR opinion goes, that is just that - your opinion.  But as I have said, history does not lie - "Life After Death" is pretty much guaranteed an immortal place in hip-hop history whether you like it or not.  That is what makes it a "classic".

Classic - One that is of the highest rank or class

If anyone is wrong, it's you...My definition of classic is definitely the more accepted one. By your definition, "Scary Movie" is a classic film. "Baby One More Time" is a classic song. The crip-walk is a classic dance...Sccit Tha Shit is all about quality, and that's how it should be... 8)

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2006, 12:04:37 PM »

You are also wrong.

If anyone is wrong, it's you...My definition of classic is definitely the more accepted one. By your definition, "Scary Movie" is a classic film. "Baby One More Time" is a classic song. The crip-walk is a classic dance...Sccit Tha Shit is all about quality, and that's how it should be... 8)

wasent this a biggie thread.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2006, 12:05:46 PM »

You are also wrong.

wasent this a biggie thread.

...as well as a debate over what is considered classic...This is a message board, genius. Get used to it.

Eihtball

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2006, 02:31:29 PM »

Your definition of "classic" is definitely not the most accepted except amongst fans of certain artists who want to believe their favorite rapper is better known than he really is.  If it were, then Tech N9ne's albums would be considered "classics" by you, when they're obviously not.  When millions of people disagree with you, it's usually a safe assumption that you're out of touch with what's remembered and what's not.  And millions of people still bump "Hypnotize" and "Mo Money Mo Problems" today.

And yes, "Baby One More Time" is arguably a classic - though probably for the same reasons as Hammer's "U Can't Touch This".

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2006, 03:48:26 PM »
Ready to Die for me.  Biggie was spittin insane over those beats, its a more consistent album.  It had a darker feel, which is how I liked BIG the most.  But even when he was doing the jiggy shit on LAD, he still could pull it off.  There were mos def incredible songs on LAD, but there were ass loads of features on it.

Ready to Die has gotten more spins than LAD over the years from me. 

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2006, 03:51:43 PM »

Your definition of "classic" is definitely not the most accepted except amongst fans of certain artists who want to believe their favorite rapper is better known than he really is.  If it were, then Tech N9ne's albums would be considered "classics" by you, when they're obviously not.  When millions of people disagree with you, it's usually a safe assumption that you're out of touch with what's remembered and what's not.  And millions of people still bump "Hypnotize" and "Mo Money Mo Problems" today.

And yes, "Baby One More Time" is arguably a classic - though probably for the same reasons as Hammer's "U Can't Touch This".

My definition is from dictionary.com...You lose. 8)

westkoastanostra

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2006, 11:31:46 PM »

My definition is from dictionary.com...You lose. 8)

yup i agree with u about the classic thing .... "baby one more time" a classic LOL....and this guy is "never" wrong  ::)