Author Topic: Does the US have 3g cell phones yet  (Read 111 times)

Liquid-Dogg

Does the US have 3g cell phones yet
« on: August 15, 2006, 11:33:50 AM »
we've had 3g phones for about 3 years now.  E.I. can download shit off the net at about 1mb/sec from your mobile. or plug your cell into your computer and use it as a broadband modem?
  i read an article today on the net that america is only just getting it.   Can you lot do video calls to your friends from your phones yet? I'm confused cuz i always thought america got this kind of shit before us.

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Does the US have 3g cell phones yet
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 12:09:57 PM »
It is estimated that there are about 60 3G networks in 25 countries around the world. In Asia, Europe and the USA, telecommunication companies use WCDMA technology with the support of around 100 terminal designs to operate 3G mobile networks.

from wiki

Liquid-Dogg

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 12:12:57 PM »
It is estimated that there are about 60 3G networks in 25 countries around the world. In Asia, Europe and the USA, telecommunication companies use WCDMA technology with the support of around 100 terminal designs to operate 3G mobile networks.

from wiki

thanks for that....wow that answered so many more questions then i needed...apart from the one i asked!

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 12:21:32 PM »
 :P

Liquid-Dogg

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 01:04:30 PM »
Can you understand the koren in your sig by the way?

Don Breezio

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 01:59:52 PM »
We have 3G networks in all the major cities...Not everywhere though. We can't do video conferencing yet...even though overseas you guys have been able to do it for like 2 years now...it coming overhere...there were rumors the nokia 6682 was going to do it but when it came out it didn't have the camera on the front for the video calls

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 03:01:52 PM »
We hav 3G here in NZ, but the cams on the phones are only 2mb pixels max, so the vid. quality isn't great.

Liquid-Dogg

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 03:15:41 PM »
i have a Sony k800..... 3.2 mg pixel. 3g internet. inc. msn messenger and hotmail logged on it. video calls are great. but still a bit $$$ here. but i get 2000 free any network any time minutes per month. so i can use them to make video calls too...it just means for every 1 minute vid call, it takes 4 minutes off my free minutes.

the k800's for winners!

Don Breezio

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 04:41:55 PM »
were getting a 3.2 megapixel camera phone here soon...but that doesn't have anything to do with video quality...most video quality (for us atleast) is maxed out at QCIF...i believe we have 1 or 2 phones that do QVGA