Author Topic: Beckham left out of England squad  (Read 223 times)

suckaa free

Beckham left out of England squad
« on: August 11, 2006, 05:00:39 PM »
LONDON -- David Beckham was dropped from the England soccer team Friday by coach Steve McClaren.

Beckham stepped down as captain last month after limping off with ankle and Achilles tendon injuries during the second half of England's World Cup quarterfinal loss to Portugal. He said he still wanted to play for the national team.

McClaren didn't name him in the squad to play Greece in Wednesday's friendly -- his first match in charge.

While his accuracy from dead balls is still sharp, Beckham has started to lose pace, highlighted when 19-year-old Aaron Lennon twice replaced him at the World Cup. It also marks a break from the reign of former coach Sven-Goran Eriksson, who developed a close relationship with Beckham during his five years.

The 31-year-old Beckham has 94 caps -- he was captain for 58 of those -- and has long said he'd like to reach 100. It's possible he could be recalled for England's 2008 European Championship qualifiers.

McClaren, who was Eriksson's assistant from 2001, added Terry Venables as his assistant coach. Venables coached England from 1994-96.

As backup to striker Peter Crouch, McClaren named Jermain Defoe -- who was on standby for the World Cup but was sent home -- Charlton's Darren Bent and West Ham's Dean Ashton, who was given his first England call up.

Wayne Rooney was left out because he is suspended from England's first two Euro 2008 qualifiers for the red card he was shown against Portugal, while Michael Owen is recovering from a serious knee injury he got at the World Cup.

McClaren wasn't able to pick a number of other players because of injury, including midfielders Michael Carrick and Joe Cole, backup goalkeeper Robert Green and defender Ledley King.

Nine players from the World Cup squad were omitted, including 17-year-old Theo Walcott. Eriksson's decision to take the striker to Germany before he'd played for his English Premier League club Arsenal was widely criticized.

With Owen injured and Rooney not at full fitness, Walcott stayed on the bench throughout the World Cup.

Walcott, Nigel Reo-Coker and Scott Carson were named in the under-21 squad to play to Moldova on Tuesday.

Goalkeeper David James and defender Sol Campbell were other high-profile World Cup squad members to miss out.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=375640&cc=5901

suckaa free

Re: Beckham left out of England squad
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 05:02:09 PM »
Beckham's passion for England 'as strong as ever'

MADRID, Aug 11 (Reuters) - David Beckham, dropped from the England squad by new manager Steve McClaren, said on Friday his passion to play for England remained as strong as ever.

In a statement through his agent Simon Oliveira, Beckham said: 'Having spoken to Steve McClaren this week I can fully understand that a new manager should want to make his mark on the team and build towards the next World Cup.

'I'm proud to have played for England for 10 years and my passion for representing my country remains as strong as ever.

'I'd like to wish the best of luck to John Terry and will offer him my complete support in the future'

Jome

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 08:25:47 AM »
McLaren didn't really seem like a good choice, but dropping Beckham is a brave and very smart decision.

Lil White Azz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Always stay G`d Up
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 09:24:41 AM »
McLaren didn't really seem like a good choice, but dropping Beckham is a brave and very smart decision.

I dunno, I ain't gonna judge him until I've seen some results...Yeah, it was time to drop  beckham from the squad....

Adam Donnelly

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WYTHENSHAWE
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 09:40:14 AM »
Drops Beckham
And brings back Phil Chuckle
WTF

Sweet & Tender Hooligan

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 10:43:46 PM »
Drops Beckham
And brings back Phil Chuckle
WTF

LMAO!

The Maestro

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 01:30:35 AM »
too many commercials, TV appearances, and parties. Prettyboys always lose
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 05:11:40 AM »
I think Beckham stil deserves to be in the squad, he contributed to half of r goals in the world cup. Two assists and a goal, beckham getting left out could solve the whole lampard gerrard problem of not been able to play together by moving gerrard to the right and bringing hargreaves into the middle.

J Cole               Lampard            Hargreaves            Gerrard

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Rish

• 'G'
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 06:08:08 AM »
I think he's sending out a message. I doubt we'll see the last of Beckham in England.

Jome

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 06:26:48 PM »
J Cole               Lampard            Hargreaves            Gerrard

Blah, here's how it goes:

Lennon        Lampard       Gerrard    Cole

Backup/alternatives:

SWP         Carrick    Hargreaves     Downing