Author Topic: The New West...  (Read 620 times)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
Re: The New West...
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2006, 06:09:28 PM »
i´m not gonna support most of these so called "new west" artists. coz truthfully 99% of them couldn´t come up with a dope rhyme if their life depended on it. Young Hootie,The Frontliners,Problem etc etc all got kindergarden rhymes and fuck supporting that.

thats what im saying, they aint contributing anything refreshing to the industry at all. same old rhymes same old sounds. bringing nothing new to the game. thats why the new west (bar a few of the cats) aint going to go anywhere. theres nothing new about this new west.

like for reals, the same old topics about gangbangin and hustlin.. like we need a group to come out that just has honest music about the everyday struggles of the everyday man. like truthfully, gangbanging isnt as prevalent in LA as most people tend to think. yeah it definitely is there, im not disputing that, but majority of people in LA, thats not the fact of their life.

Hmm....I agree, only to a point.

I definitely agree that none of them are bringing anything new or refreshing. However, I do feel that we have an equal amount of overall talent, rapper wise, as the south and midwest does...and maybe even the east. But our MAIN problem is that we don't have many rappers who can really hit the world in more than just a few ways....such as how we have Crooked who can battle and spit the most wicked, creative lines, but he can't make songs as good as a Nas or Jay-Z....and we have those who may sound similar to rappers who are very big now, but our rappers won't be able to appeal to the same market as these other rappers do. As far as producers go, our producers aren't really pushin the envelope much....some are still stuck in the Dre stage, some are trying to sample and sound Kanye, and many are trying to sound east coast....but most of our up and coming producers aren't bringing much that is really new to the table.

As far as gangs, many blacks and maybe hispanics in the L.A. area at least are involved with gangs in one way or another, and as far as pure numbers go, I don't think much has changed since 92...however, the overall culture to it isn't nearly as appealing as it was in the late 80's and early 90's, especially with other states jumping on the bandwagon. Many people just don't care to hear about the gang thing anymore.

And also...I think a MAJOR thing many New West artists lack is just creativity and diversity of topics and subject matter. I am from the damm west, and even I don't want to hear about the same Weed, khakis, chucks, lowriders, fine females, crips n bloods, dope dealers, and palm trees on EVERY single song. I think that the south and east are burnt out on subject matter as well, but the fact is, they are getting play and rotation, and we are not...so we can't just use their bar to judge ourselves by. Most west coast rappers I am hearin sound like someone I've heard before....many of them want to sound like Jay, many of them just have a east coast style with their punchlines and all, many are tryin to rap slow over bouncy beats like T.I. and Jeezy, and the truth is....we will never be able to master someone else's style, and they will always sound a lot better than we do at usin their own style.

Aside from Crooked, Sly Boogy, and a SMALL AMOUNT of others, there aren't many new west coast rappers who have anything near a unique style, even the ones who are dope. And I am even talkin about several rappers I am cool with, and support at all levels....most of em just don't sound groundbreaking at all.

"THE" MoSav

Re: The New West...
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2006, 07:14:08 PM »
LMAO at the New Virus!  ;D

The Best of 3 Worlds