Author Topic: Don Nelson returns as WARRIORS head coach & the MAVS are happy for him...  (Read 231 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Mavs happy that Nellie reliving Golden years

By DWAIN PRICE
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Don Nelson said he couldn't refuse Golden State executive and former player Chris Mullin's offer to return to the Warriors.Don Nelson is back in the NBA, and no one could be happier for him than Mavericks coach Avery Johnson.

Nelson accepted a three-year, $18 million incentive-laden contract Wednesday to coach the Golden State Warriors. Nelson was coach of the Warriors when they last qualified for the playoffs in 1994. Johnson played on that team.

"I think it's great to have him back in basketball," Johnson said. "I know he still has that itch, and I think it's a great opportunity for him."

Many of the players on Nelson's previous Golden State teams -- Chris Mullin, Rod Higgins and Mitch Richmond -- are Warriors executives now, and the 66-year-old Nelson said he jumped at a phone call from Mullin.

"The main reason I came back was I had some real good friends that asked me to come," said Nelson. "They asked me if I would come back and get back some of the magic that used to be here, when this arena used to be rocking."

Nelson coached the Mavs from Dec. 4, 1997, until he stepped down and handed the coaching reins to Johnson with 18 games remaining in the 2004-05 season. Nelson is credited with turning a downtrodden Mavs into a title contender before suddenly resigning amid reports that he ran out of favor with owner Mark Cuban.

"Nellie was an important part of the Mavs' turnaround and we can't thank him enough," Cuban said. "We wish him the best, except when he plays the Mavs, of course."

Nelson, who coached Golden State from 1988-95, won't take any Mavericks assistants with him. And his son, Mavs general manager Donnie Nelson, also will remain on Cuban's payroll.

"It's funny," Johnson said. "Nellie had Gregg Popovich as an assistant coach the last time the Warriors made the playoffs, and I was the point guard. I told Nellie on the phone that Pop's not resigning [as coach of the San Antonio Spurs] and neither am I. So he's got to go out and do it by himself."

Nelson replaced Mike Montgomery, whom the Warriors fired Tuesday with two years and $10 million left on his contract. In Nelson, the Warriors have a coach renown for innovation, not to mention colorful character.

"I think it's going to be a good fit," Johnson said.

Not only is Nelson the second-winningest coach in NBA history (1,190-880), he has won more games than any Mavs coach (339-251).

"What Nellie has done for this city and franchise will never be forgotten," Donnie Nelson said. "This organization would certainly not be the success that it is today without him."

What do you guys think? Can the Warriors FINALLY make some noise in the west, after all the hype that's never been lived up to? I believe they'll be good, but still struggle to make the playoffs, and in the end, probably WILL NOT make it...However, this move should improve the team, Mike Montgomery was a terrible fit...Take a look at their roster:

PG Baron Davis...Monta Ellis/Will Bynum
SG Jason Richardson...Keith McLeod/Andre Owens
SF Mike Dunleavy...Mickael Pietrus/Devin Brown
PF Troy Murphy...Chris Taft/Andris Biedrins
C Ike Diogu...Adonal Foyle/Zarko Cabarkapa

Coach: Don Nelson

rik

Heard about this yesterday, pretty good move I guess. I think that they'll be pretty good this year and barely miss the playoffs.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

They should probably trade Baron Davis, especially if they can get a superstar in return...

DipsetGeneral

Re: Don Nelson returns as WARRIORS head coach & the MAVS are happy for him...
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 01:06:25 AM »
^^^Yes they should trade Baron, he is a good player no doubt but he doesnt fit on that team and has never impressed me at the end of game's, but GS will not get a superstar in return for him, I am sure of that.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 01:10:08 AM »
^^^Yes they should trade Baron, he is a good player no doubt but he doesnt fit on that team and has never impressed me at the end of game's, but GS will not get a superstar in return for him, I am sure of that.

LOL...Baron Davis, Mike Dunleavy, & Ike Diogu for Chris Webber & Allen Iverson...Something like that can work out...PeACe

DipsetGeneral

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 01:14:53 AM »

LOL...Baron Davis, Mike Dunleavy, & Ike Diogu for Chris Webber & Allen Iverson...Something like that can work out...PeACe

Thank god that was just a example cause that is a horrific trade and extremely unrealistic. and nothing like that would ever happen, AI and Webb would never be in the same trade together lol.  This is a example that would work and is much more realistic,   GS trades B. Davis, filler, draft pick to Celtics for W.Szczerbiak, A. Jefferson, D. West

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 01:18:32 AM »

Thank god that was just a example cause that is a horrific trade and extremely unrealistic. and nothing like that would ever happen, AI and Webb would never be in the same trade together lol.  This is a example that would work and is much more realistic,   GS trades B. Davis, filler, draft pick to Celtics for W.Szczerbiak, A. Jefferson, D. West

Why not? Phili wants to get rid of both AI and C. Webb and start fresh...Salaries probably don't match though, I haven't checked...One sec...

DipsetGeneral

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 01:20:36 AM »
^^^dude no way the saleries match.  No team would EVER trade for those 2 at the same time.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 01:57:02 AM »
It could work man, check...

Chris Webber, Allen Iverson, & 1st round pick for Baron Davis, Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy, Ike Digou, Adonal Foyle, & Chris Taft

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=194~2750~1708~254~1013~2787~366~897&teams=20~20~20~20~20~20~9~9

I know it looks ridiculous, but look:

Phili:
PG Baron Davis...Willie Green/Louis Williams
SG Andre Iguadola...Mike Dunleavy/Rodney Carney
SF Kyle Korver...Matt Barnes/Bobby Jones
PF Ike Diogu...Troy Murphy/Chris Taft
C  Samuel Dalembert...Adonal Foyle/Steven Hunter

GS:
PG Allen Iverson...Monta Ellis/Will Bynum
SG Jason Richardson...Keith McLeod/Andre Owens
SF Mickael Pietrus...Devin Brown/Calbert Cheaney
PF Chris Webber...Kosta Perovic
C Andris Biedrins... Zarko Cabarkapa/Patrick O'Bryant

Sorta works out, considering GS has been wanting to get out of Mike Dunleavy, Troy Murphy, AND B. Davis's contract and same goes for Phili with Iverson and Webber...Iverson alone can bring a fresh new face to GS and put a lot more fans in seats, his drive will probably strengthen, while Phili will have a fresh new look and a new future all-star in their new AI...Maybe I'm just tired, but I thought I'd work that out before I go to sleep...PeACe

DipsetGeneral

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 02:06:28 AM »
LMAO!  Propz for doin all that but I think both teams look shitty after that trade, just my opinion

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 03:56:47 AM »
IF they steal Iverson they can be quite gangsta next season... Fuck Webber tho, that nigga is old, washed up with a screwed knee and a ridiculous salary
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 10:22:52 AM »
LMAO!  Propz for doin all that but I think both teams look shitty after that trade, just my opinion

LOL...Well they're both already shitty, this can just spice things up and beathe some life into 'em...A back-court of Baron Davis and Andre Iguadola would be crazy, and look at the depth their bench has after that proposed trade. Mike Dunleavy coming off the bench, that's definitely a 6th man of the year front-runner. Troy Murphy too...With Golden State, you've got an unstoppable back-court of Iverson and J. Richardson, Iverson's drive to win alone will make them playoff contenders, then you also got some nice young prospects in Andris Biedrins, Mickael Pietrus, and Monta Ellis...I should be a GM. 8)

DipsetGeneral

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 02:28:27 PM »
you know your shit no doubt Nik, but I should be a GM ;)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 10:20:50 PM »
Unlike previously reported, Nelson WILL take an assistant with him from the Mavs...

Mavs' assistant joins Nelson's staff

02:15 AM CDT on Saturday, September 2, 2006
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Mavericks assistant coach Larry Riley has accepted a multiyear contract to be the No. 1 assistant for new Golden State Warriors coach Don Nelson.

Riley signed the deal Friday. It marks a significant promotion from the No. 3 assistant position he had on Avery Johnson's staff.

"It's just such an advancement for me that it was something I felt I needed to do," Riley said. "But the last six years in Dallas have been great. Working with Nellie and Avery couldn't have been a better experience."

Nelson also is keeping Keith Smart, who previously was an assistant for former Warriors coach Mike Montgomery, on his staff. It is unknown whom else Nelson will recruit.

The Mavericks' cast of assistants includes Del Harris, Joe Prunty and Sam Vincent. It's possible they could add another assistant before training camp opens Oct. 3. Johnson did not return phone calls Friday.