Author Topic: Ryan Howard is a beast  (Read 810 times)

herpes

Re: Ryan Howard is a beast
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2006, 12:16:26 PM »
you think ryan howard can break roger maris's single season homerun record  ;D

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2006, 12:17:45 PM »
He's above average for sure though, and he's way better at his position than Vlad is at his. 

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2006, 12:25:41 PM »
Sure he's playing an "easy" position but he still does it well.  His fielding percentage this year is 0.996.

The thing I love about Pujols is that he doesn't strikeout like other power hitters.  He only has 39 strikeouts this year compared to Howard's 154, Soriano's 133 and Hafner's 111.  Striking out is such a horrible at bat, you gotta put the ball in play.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 12:27:16 PM by Knuckles »

herpes

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 12:30:26 PM »
He's above average for sure though, and he's way better at his position than Vlad is at his. 
I dont know, I might call that one a push.  Yea I know his fielding percentage is much better.  But playing first is easier then RF.  And if you look at Pujols in the OF his fielding percentage is about the same as Vlad but without the cannon arm.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2006, 12:33:36 PM »
Pujols' Career Rate2 as a Left Fielder is 95 and Vladdy's as a RF is 94. 

herpes

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2006, 12:36:42 PM »
Sure he's playing an "easy" position but he still does it well.  His fielding percentage this year is 0.996.

The thing I love about Pujols is that he doesn't strikeout like other power hitters.  He only has 39 strikeouts this year compared to Howard's 154, Soriano's 133 and Hafner's 111.  Striking out is such a horrible at bat, you gotta put the ball in play.

Thats also the great thing with Vlad... dude dont strike out much either.  Hes not quite on Pujols level tho.  Alberts a freak of nature lol.

herpes

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2006, 12:38:13 PM »
Pujols' Career Rate2 as a Left Fielder is 95 and Vladdy's as a RF is 94. 
Right field is also harder to play... in most cases not all LF is where you hide you crappier OF'er

DipsetGeneral

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2006, 02:23:17 PM »
Pujols a great defender??  Oh my god this is to much, this thread should be closed after that comment.  Compare all of his total errors the last few years to every other starting first basemen, and tell me what you see. dude is a average defender at best, horrible base runner, and no throwing arm.  Pujols = 2 tool player
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 02:24:54 PM by DipsetGeneral »

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2006, 02:50:11 PM »
Pujols a great defender??  Oh my god this is to much, this thread should be closed after that comment.  Compare all of his total errors the last few years to every other starting first basemen, and tell me what you see. dude is a average defender at best, horrible base runner, and no throwing arm.  Pujols = 2 tool player

I see that his fielding % is .996 this year, the same Derrek Lee had last year when he won his gold glove as a first baseman. 
He plays first base, his arm is certainly good enough for that position.

herpes

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2006, 02:59:38 PM »
HE went yard again today.... 53

DipsetGeneral

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2006, 03:05:10 PM »

I see that his fielding % is .996 this year, the same Derrek Lee had last year when he won his gold glove as a first baseman. 
He plays first base, his arm is certainly good enough for that position.

so when I watched a Cards game recently on MLBTV, and they said Pujols made more errors at first than anyone else at that position the last couple years they were lying?

DipsetGeneral

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2006, 03:12:26 PM »
And I know as a fact Pujols was tied for the most errors as a 1b last year and in 2004 he was near the top of most errors as a first baseman.  Its all opinions, I was just shocked when you referred to him as a "great" defensive player.  Ive never heard a professional scout or analyst ever refer to Albert as anything but a average at best fielder.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2006, 03:14:15 PM »
He gets to most balls other 1B don't usually get to.

"Albert Pujols may be the main man responsible for the Cardinal's fine infield.

One of the Fielding Bible results that surprised me was that the Cardinals' infield was very good in both 2004 and 2005, despite a near complete turnover in personnel (such as Renteria/Eckstein at short and Rolen/Nunez at third). It turns out that the guy at first may have been the reason for their consistency.

According to John Dewan's latest Stat of the Week, Albert Pujols actually saved 42(!) bad throws to first base last year. That's a stunning total; the next-highest figure was Derrek Lee's 23. Perhaps the key person in the Cardinal infield isn't at one of the "skill positions." And perhaps I've never fully appreciated the impact a good-fielding first baseman can have on a team.
[Mark post as unread] "

« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 03:15:57 PM by Javii »

DipsetGeneral

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2006, 03:21:25 PM »
He gets to most balls other 1B don't usually get to.

"Albert Pujols may be the main man responsible for the Cardinal's fine infield.

One of the Fielding Bible results that surprised me was that the Cardinals' infield was very good in both 2004 and 2005, despite a near complete turnover in personnel (such as Renteria/Eckstein at short and Rolen/Nunez at third). It turns out that the guy at first may have been the reason for their consistency.

According to John Dewan's latest Stat of the Week, Albert Pujols actually saved 42(!) bad throws to first base last year. That's a stunning total; the next-highest figure was Derrek Lee's 23. Perhaps the key person in the Cardinal infield isn't at one of the "skill positions." And perhaps I've never fully appreciated the impact a good-fielding first baseman can have on a team.
[Mark post as unread] "

LOL.  I just checked and since the beginning of 2004 NO ONE has more errors at first then Albert.  And yes he does get alot of plays at first, but so does O. Vizquel at his position and he has few to none errors, cause he is considered a great fielder, Albert ISNT.  Pujols is a average fielder and has always been referred to as a average fielder.

Pujols = hits for power, hits for avg
Vlad = hits for power, speed, hits for avg, great throwing arm, very good fielder

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2006, 03:24:49 PM »
Albert Pujols 1B Defense Rate2 is  112.  That means for every 100 games he plays at 1B, he saves the team 12 runs on defense.  JT Snow's best year was 109.  Yes, he's a great fielder.