Author Topic: DR. DRE SIGNS JOELL ORTIZ?  (Read 424 times)

cobra

• Muthafuckin' OG
DR. DRE SIGNS JOELL ORTIZ?
« on: September 05, 2006, 02:28:18 PM »
I got this from hiphopgame.com...
dre...i'm sure you never read this site but if you do...what tha fuck cuddie?!
all the dope niggaz out west you keep skipping over?
sign diegoRedd! sign messy marv! sign any of a 100 hot L.A. niggaz!
ok. now....
here the article.

Joell Ortiz may have been somewhat quiet on HipHopGame these past few months if you base his recent activity on his own standards, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t working. The Brooklyn rapper recently signed to Interscope, finally putting to rest all the rumors swirling around his label situation.

Signing to Aftermath was an easy decision for Joell. “Interscope is run by music people,” Joell told HipHopGame. “A lot of people don’t know that Jimmy Iovine is a very successful music producer who has worked with some of the best in the music industry. Dr. Dre has been an influence on American culture for the past twenty years. I’m very, very, very, very charged to be working with him. I couldn’t think of a better home for Joell Ortiz.”

While Joell wouldn’t disclose details on the deal, he did offer this: “It’s a wonderful situation that will get me out of the projects.”

When the Dr. wants something, the Dr. gets it. “The negotiations didn’t take too long,” Joell said. “Everyone on both sides did their best to make this deal a reality. It’s a win/win. Because he is an artist, Dre gives his people real good deals. I’m very happy.”

Interscope won the Joell Ortiz Sweepstakes, but who almost won? “There was no bidding war,” Joell said. “We never really ‘shopped a demo.’ We did meetings very rarely. From the beginning, our goal was to develop the Joell Ortiz brand on our own before going to labels. There aren’t many A&R’s in New York that know Joell Ortiz but the people know me. For the past year I have had an ill presence online and on the streets. My shows have been packed and my songwriting skills have gotten ill. From the beginning, I had different priorities for my career.”

Those priorities didn’t include chasing industry folk. “Running around trying to get meetings with A&R people was never a priority for me. And that ain’t a knock to no one.”

Having songs in the arsenal has never been a problem for Joell, although now a lot more eyes are going to be on him. “Dr. Dre signed me based on songs,” Joell told HipHopGame. “No one outside my immediate circle has ever heard the songs Dre heard. I was signed on the strength of that material.”

While Joell’s pen-game will never change, where he exercises that pen-game will. “I have been writing songs since I was 11 in the same apartment in Cooper Projects where I am sitting right now,” Joell said. “My pen is getting me and my family out of here. Crazy!”

Joell is currently prepping his mixtape/album The Brick. “It’s done,” Joell said. “I had to replace ‘125 Grams Part 3’ because all the Pun samples were going to be impossible to clear. I put that one on MySpace for y’all to have (http://myspace.com/joellortiz). I replaced a bunch of other songs because I leaked them. I wanted the majority of the music to be new. Alchemist did one. I got Immortal Technique on one. We have a whole bunch of other surprises.” There is no set release date for The Brick yet.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
Re: DR. DRE SIGNS JOELL ORTIZ?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 02:41:36 PM »
Cot damn he does sound a LOOOOOT like Pun.

jointz

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 02:44:25 PM »

WHY WOULD DRE SIGN A PUERTO RICAN FROM NY BEFORE SIGNING A LATIN RAPPER FROM L.A WHERE HE IS FROM? I GUESS THATS THE WESTCOAST FOR YOU!!!

$Eg2$

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 02:50:10 PM »

WHY WOULD DRE SIGN A PUERTO RICAN FROM NY BEFORE SIGNING A LATIN RAPPER FROM L.A WHERE HE IS FROM? I GUESS THATS THE WESTCOAST FOR YOU!!!

No thats Dr Dre 4 Ya

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 03:47:28 PM »
cuz it aint about where u from..its about how dope u ARE!!

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 03:58:20 PM »

!!

LakersAlldaWay

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • SG Valley, CA
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 04:05:32 PM »
No hate here, he is nice as hell but he doesn't have the image to make it big. Dre is only gonna push you out if you got some sort of uniqueness about you, but in the public's eye this guy just seems like any other New York mixtape rapper. All of the rappers that Dre releases go beyond the writing aspect because they are superstars from the voice, to the persona, to the image etc.

This Joell Ortiz cat is dope, but I don't think in this day and age he could make it big time. Dre most likely signed him for his writing and as a tax write off.

suckaa free

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 06:00:14 PM »

Joell Ortiz>Omar Cruz?  i havnt heard dude yet, but Omar spit straight heat.  cant too many fuck with that boy.

$do11a biLL$

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 06:16:32 PM »
Dre needs to stop signing rappers and put out Detox, the Bishop Lamont album, and Eves album.

$do11a biLL$

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 06:17:16 PM »
oh yeah can't forget about G.A.G.E either

suckaa free

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 06:23:50 PM »
^you are a very, very optimistic thinker...or you are really, really fucken patient.   :)

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 07:15:21 PM »

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 11:18:56 PM »

No thats Dr Dre 4 Ya

That's the music business for you.

Why would Diddy call Boyz n the hood "The new NWA" and why would he sign Cassie, who clearly has no singing or dancing talent, over the hundreds of females we may even personally know who are much more talented?

And if Dre did sign a lot of west coast artists, we'd still be complaining....."why did he sign MC Watts over T-Glock??? Glock is much better" or "why does he keep signing these artists, but never puts em out?" and even worst......"why is it that Dre's put out five west coast artist in the last five years, but not a single one sold as much as Snoop did with Doggystyle in his first week?" No matter how good things seem, there will always be something we will be mad at. And seeing Aftermath's record with West Coast artists, it's probably best that he doesn't sign too many more. Who knows, he may even be giving these non-west artists shitty deals, and he may not plan to put them out.

Mygla

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 04:26:25 AM »

No thats Dr Dre 4 Ya

That's the music business for you.

Why would Diddy call Boyz n the hood "The new NWA" and why would he sign Cassie, who clearly has no singing or dancing talent, over the hundreds of females we may even personally know who are much more talented?

And if Dre did sign a lot of west coast artists, we'd still be complaining....."why did he sign MC Watts over T-Glock??? Glock is much better" or "why does he keep signing these artists, but never puts em out?" and even worst......"why is it that Dre's put out five west coast artist in the last five years, but not a single one sold as much as Snoop did with Doggystyle in his first week?" No matter how good things seem, there will always be something we will be mad at. And seeing Aftermath's record with West Coast artists, it's probably best that he doesn't sign too many more. Who knows, he may even be giving these non-west artists shitty deals, and he may not plan to put them out.

realest post in the thread.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 05:00:31 AM »
This Joell Ortiz cat is dope, but I don't think in this day and age he could make it big time. Dre most likely signed him for his writing and as a tax write off.