Author Topic: should producers like Dr. Dre & Timbaland stop selling their beats to everyone?  (Read 222 times)

GangstaBoogy

Just wondering what everyone thinks. Do you think the elite producers such as Dre, Timbaland, etc should sell their beats to whoever has the money, or should they take a more exclusive approach and only sell them to artist that they resepect.

Go!
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

BigBDrugStores

well i didnt think that dre did that, didnt he call cats who did that whores? timbo is overrated right now so he should do that so he can ride his wave. but what id like to see is a mannie fresh produced cd, not just some random songs here and there on a disc. but back to the topic, lil jon did it for a while, neptunes did it for about 3 years, i dont see anything wrong with it. scott storch is doing it too much now thogh. well i guess i feel if its hot do it up. but if it all sounds the same, i as an artist wouldnt want to buy a track, but then im not an entertainer. dame dash said "if you want a billion dollars, you gotta have a billion hustles" and those are my dissorgonized thoughts.

Diabolical

I don't think Dre give beats to just anyone though does he?

Anyway most people actually in the 'rap industry' are more tolerant towards each other than the fans are towards other artists.

J Bananas

is this a real question? they can sell to whoever they like, there's no rule against makin money

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
is this a real question? they can sell to whoever they like, there's no rule against makin money
agreed.  and plus, chances are if they're sellin shit to other artists, we'll end up HEARIN more of their beats.  so im for it.

wcsoldier

Dre BARELY sell his beats for artists outside Interscope... as for Timbo yep coz most of the artists who spit/sing on his beats are straight weak

GangstaBoogy

i know they can sell to whoever they want to BITCH, but the its just a question to get other peoples opinions.

J Bananas

i know they can sell to whoever they want to BITCH, but the its just a question to get other peoples opinions.

lets get it together guy

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Dre BARELY sell his beats for artists outside Interscope... as for Timbo yep coz most of the artists who spit/sing on his beats are straight weak

Exactly. Dre is only having like 10 beats per year max. Its obvious he is picky about it.

Timbo on the other hand had many of his great production ruined by some wack rappers.

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Holler at your Uncle Snoopy..."
Well, Dre turned down the opportunity to work with Michael Jackson (post-Blackness, but, hey, it's still MJ!) so I think he's pretty damn selective about who he works with. Too bad some of the people he HAS worked with probably haven't been worth his time and effort.

Timbo, on the other hand, works with far more people currently (at least, as far as I can tell from the charts) but the tracks he produces can be a bit more hit-or-miss, although as Meho said that's really down to some wack rappers using his beats.

Unfortunately, while I wouldn't contain Timbo and Dre in this group, I think there are a certain amount of producers out there who have exposed themselves far too much recently. Is there anyone Scott Storch wouldn't do a track with provided they were putting up the right cash? At the moment, I doubt it.
"Shit ain't all peaches and cream, and I ain't Sara Lee, bitch!" - Lloyd Banks

"I'm Morpheus in this Hip-Hop Matrix, exposing fake shit." - Common

"With consecutive platinum hits, I up my status. Ain't no more Calvin Broadus!" - Snoop

"Look at all these conscious rappers - guess who influenced them?" - KRS One

GangstaBoogy

Re: should producers like Dr. Dre & Timbaland stop selling their beats to everyo
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 01:35:12 PM »
It's interesting that most of you said Dre doesn't work with just anyone. I said that in the past and a lot of people were upset because there are 2 Eve/Gwen Stefani collabos over Dre beats...