Author Topic: The State Of West Coast  (Read 83 times)

myrealname

The State Of West Coast
« on: December 23, 2001, 07:02:53 PM »
from toogangsta.net
I'm back with another "Tha Real" article and this time I will discuss the problems with the West Coast. I read Vibe Magazine rating of Warren G and although I thought the rating of his album which was 1/2 a record was a bit harsh. West Coast fans can't be to upset with them. For one Warren G still seems to live in the past on his new record. If any fans listen to "The Return Of The Regulator you can hear that Warren g is trying to do the same sound he did years ago on his very first album and didn't really bother to come with nothing new. So there for this time around fans didn't really cop his album. I know when most talk about the West Coast the first names come to mind is Dre and Snoop. I give Dre a lot of credit not only as one of the greatest producers of our time far as rap and hip hop music is concern but he is a great business man. Although I don't consider Eminem West Coast I give Dre 100% credit for trying to bring new talent in the game and helping them out. The same can be said with Xzibit. I personally like his style on his first two albums. But Dre took an underground rapper and made him a rising young star on a fading West Coast. Now Snoop Dogg is doing his thing but not really doing enough for the West. Now lets take Dogghouse for example a label that tried to follow in the foot steps of the powerhouse Death row Records which dominated from 92-97. I give Snoop a props for trying but he didn't bring nothing new far as talent is concern. Lets take Bad Azz his album totally flop from the lack of promotion from Snoop and the off and on delays of his album. Doggy Angel they just isn't that good. The first East Sidaz I was feeling, but on the second one I thought like hell I was hearing an encore of there first album meaning that they didn't come with nothing new far as content of the album so there for the sales went down hill. Bones and the Wash also did poor in sells. The problem is Snoop isn't coming with nothing new. If you look at his artist on the label more then half was roster cuts of Death Row back in the day. So point is besides from Eminem and Xzibit the two kings of the West Snoop and Dre isn't helping a fading West Coast out. I feel they could at least help out up and coming talent but they seem to hog the spotlight from the youngsters.

Young talent that I can see helping the West are artist like Crooked I, knocc, Turnel, Supa Fly (Snoop should have gave this guy a chance long time ago), Jayo Felony, Hittman, Tha Realest, EastWood, Swoop G, Lost Angels, Lil Cs etc. It's a new blood of West Coast talent out there that can all have a hand in bringing West Coast music back.

In my eyes the West Coast all started to die slowly back in 96 when Death Row had the ball and lead the West. When Pac died in 96 the West Coast started to fade a bit. Then Suge Knight head of Death Row and Tha Row Records went to jail West Coast had one foot in the grave and another on a banana pill. Then the finally blow was when Snoop Dogg departed to the South which was getting hot at the time with No Limit Records blowing up huge that did it for the West. Then back in 99 the West started to make a little noise but the only problem is the only people making noise was Dre and Snoop who really didn't mess with two many west artist except for those who basically already had they name known. So hopefully in 2002 we can finally see them new faces getting they chance. The Old dogs had they chance and still didn't do anything to bring the West back. In 2002 lets see what Suge and his new imprint Tha Row Records can do. I think it's fair to give them a chance. Going back to Suge Knight track record he has a damn good one when he was out and running his company. lets give that young crop of talent in Crooked I, knocc, Turnel,Supa Fly, Jayo Felony, Hittman, Tha Realest, EastWood, Swoop G, Lost Angels, Lil Cs etc. all a chance to carry the ball and attempt to bring back the struggling West Coast.
_________________________________________________-__
What's your thoughts about it?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

HBKid_Jr

Re: The State Of West Coast
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2001, 07:11:28 PM »
its sad but tha thing is,  there are no major beefs goin on in tha west,  sure theres suge an snoop,  but no gives a fuck about suge an snoop has never dropped anything on wax,  there are no 2 major rappers in tha west beefin wit each other.  Secondly i think tha wast relys on dre to keep them alive way to much.  Another problem is there is a lack of motiavation in tha west it seems,  nutin new.  Also in my opinion,  tha west started to have problems when Dre left death row,  an it went downhill from there  until; steptember 13th 1996 when Pac passed away,  tha west suffered a major blow,  an than death row completely collapsed an tha west major players werent doin much,  (kurupt,  snoop,  daz, dre).  Than Big died an even though he wasnt on tha west it affected rap largly an pop rap creeped on to tha scene,  an people really didnt wanna hear much from tha west anymore.  Tha east is startin to b/c a promindant force again,  hopefully tha west will follow suit an become big again,  only time will tell
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »