Author Topic: New Lloyd Banks interview  (Read 272 times)

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
New Lloyd Banks interview
« on: September 22, 2006, 04:28:15 PM »
Lloyd Banks Interview

What's up?

As far as my physical, I'm a little under the weather. I just came back from the hospital. I got a little strep throat from traveling.

You've been on the road a lot lately.

Yeah. Actually just came back from Los Angeles from shooting the video. I've been going back and forth like crazy. Other than that, everything is good.

Why did your album, The Rotten Apple, get pushed back?

People see it as being pushed back, but I was actually forcing the issue because I wanted people to know I was coming. Realistically, the video wasn't even shot yet. I wanted to start my mixtape campaign and everything had to come together. I wanted to pace it out. When you've been gone for two years, it takes more than two months to convince everyone you're on you're a-game.

Did you have to convince 50 and Sha you weren't ready?

It's a collective. It matters what an artist thinks and you have to have the preparation. Last time I came out, I had two mixtapes out in the streets. Things have to be put in the right place. You have to have a certain amount of radio play and videos because I'm aiming for the stars. The official album date is October 10.

What are you going to do with the extra time?

It's really not extra time, now it's enough time. After the premiere of the video, I'm going to shoot another video. It's going to be on Access Granted. I'm leaving at the end of the month for a promo tour. There definitely isn't any time to rest. This is a full-court game. It's going to be non-stop work until the album actually comes out, and once the album does come out, I'm going to do shows and do what I do best.

Has it been hard having to wait this long for your sophomore album?

It's hard because when you love hip-hop, you want to be out there as much as possible. On the same token, when you have very successful albums, they last longer. I just came home from touring. When you have songs out, you can tour the States and go out of the country and perform in markets that I've never touched before. I'm just now coming off of that high. From this point on, my goal is to get the material out. If this album is just as successful as the first one, I'm going to be touring even longer. I love the music and I love to be out there and I can't wait to hear the response to this album.

How's the response been so far?

I put out enough for people to have an idea of what to expect for the album. I put out the first mixtape and I have the next mixtape coming out in the next couple weeks. That should really prep them. I'm really not into the critics and the reviews. They didn't make or break me on the first album. I wasn't really happy with the reviews on the first album. Even though it sold two-million records, I didn't get my just due. You have a lot of people in your corner, but a lot of people hate when you say certain things. That's what keeps me in hip-hop. It's a competitive sport. If it wasn't for those people, it wouldn't feel so good when you succeed.

Why were there negative reviews for Hunger for More?

Because I told them I was going to do it. People don't give us room to breathe. The G-Unit movement is one of the biggest movements ever. 50 sold 11-million records his first time out, the group album sold four-million, and I sold two-million. They associate us so much as a group that they don't give us room to breathe as individuals. They looked at it as the whole group was doing good without looking at how much time I had to put into my project. I write all of my material and these are all things that people overlooked.

I hate to bring this up, but look at the Game project. He didn't write his project. That's the difference. People are going to have a reference to know who Lloyd Banks is because I wrote every record. I think people overlooked that part and long sessions in the studio and hitting the studio after shows and hitting the studio on the tour bus after shows. I should put it on DVD this time around so they understand the grind and that every man stands for himself.

They say you have your whole life to make your first album and no time to make your second. Is that true?

That's one of the realest things I ever heard. You do have your whole life, but at the same time, you can't get your whole life out in sixty minutes. I was recording my last album at 21 years-old. I'm 24 years-old now. It's not that big of a difference, but it is a difference. You grow as an artist and see different things around the world. I stepped up my wordplay a lot. The biggest difference now is me having the opportunity to have a studio in my own house. I have the time to be a perfectionist. The second album is very well put-together. I was able to sit down and go through things and I could listen to hear who I should feature. I had the time to be a perfectionist the way Eminem, Dr. Dre and 50 Cent do. I think it's a blessing I had so much time to work on this project.

Is the rumor that one of your girlfriends stole your album master and leaked it online true?

First off, I don't have a girlfriend and I've never had a girlfriend. I've always had the bachelor lifestyle and I meet a lot of people. I lose all types of things on the road, from jewelry…I left my ID on a plane last night. You just have to be careful when you're dealing with more than one girl at the same time. Before you know it you're out of the city and you can't find your shit. The songs that leaked out were songs recorded after the Hunger for More album. The songs were dated but you can't put a date on them if you've never heard it before. If you had never heard that music, you would never have a reference for what to expect.

So maybe it was a good thing?

It's always a good thing when you can confront it. That type of thing can't break me. You can only fit about fourteen or fifteen songs on an album, so what are you going to do with the other thirty? I have a lot of material for this album, so don't be surprised if some other shit leaks out.

Your last album did over two-million. Have you made any predictions on your sales for Rotten Apple?

I want to do good. I'm shooting for the stars. All that matters is what I think and what my fans think. I don't want to give any numbers because I didn't give any numbers the first time. I'm ready for the first week and I'm ready for the second and third week. It's not all about the first week. It's a very well put-together album from top to bottom. I'll let the music speak for itself. I'm very good at bragging, but I'll let the music speak for itself this time.

Now that there's new writers up at The Source, are you going to get the cover?

It's up in the air. For the people who don't actually know out there, The Source Magazine had negative influences which is why they had articles coming out bashing the Unit. They went out of business and they got taken over by new ownership. That magazine was very important before it was corrupted. I'm not going to close any doors. I've never done The Source Magazine. It would be a bonus. We'll see what happens.

There are a lot of new artists claiming G-Unit. Who really is G-Unit and who's just claiming it?

I could speak on Hot Rod. He's actually from Arizona. He's signed and he's coming out this year in the fourth-quarter. As far as me, I don't really have any artists under my wings. I look for talent, but for me to cosign somebody, I have to have that rush and I haven't found it yet. I'm actually looking too. When I go on tour, it's going to be a promo tour/talent search. Hopefully I can find the next Lloyd Banks out there. I'm not going to force anything. I'd rather take steps around quicksand than steps in quicksand.

Do you have any say in who gets signed to G-Unit Records?

We'll all sit down and talk, but ultimately it's 50's decision. He'll give me creative influence on what I do, but I'll have the main decision on what I do. When I find who I find, hopefully 50 and Sha will feel the same way about it. It's always a group effort.

Is G-Unit Radio Part 21 going to be the last shots taken at Game?

You know what seems to amaze me? Sometimes I wonder do people actually read between the lines? Do people see what's going on? This guy has so many references to not being street. This guy did Change of Heart. If I did that, my block would know about it before I even got back. He got a butterfly tattoo and then he covered it up. These are all inconsistencies. He's shooting himself. If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything, and that n****'s falling. It's really a dead issue. If I do address it, I'll address it on mixtapes. As far as talent goes, just to be honest with you, I don't really feel it's worth it. He's nowhere near my level. When he writes his own album and is successful, then I'll consider it. Listen to his raps. There's really nothing there. He's just giving you the images. This is the n**** who has been lying to you the past two years.

You look at that, but also look at how many records he sold while on G-Unit. Was it a good thing that Game was on G-Unit?

I think it was a good thing for business, of course. I never clicked with that n**** from day one. I hate to say it, but real recognize real and I never clicked with that n****, so it was just business. At the same time, I'm glad his ass did get the fuck out. It wouldn't look good if that's my homie and he's an ex-stripper with a butterfly. That's why he's looking suspect now, because he wasn't meant to be around a real circle like G-Unit.

Will you guys do more background checks on your next signees?

Nah, not really, because that shit right there is the last shit somebody would think. You might hear some shit about somebody having a contract prior to being signed to you, but who the hell would have thought of that? He's a weird dude. He has a special situation. He's done some shit that I've never heard of before. He's the first hip-hop artist to be on Change of Heart. I don't think we'll see that again.

You're not going on Blind Date?

Never that! If you see me on a TV show, it's going to be Cops.

How's Spider Loc doing?

Spider Loc is cool. I just saw him in Los Angeles when I was shooting my video. He's doing good. He's working on his album and he has some bangers together. Young Buck has his artist coming out under him. There's a lot of things coming up with the Unit and right now, most importantly, my album is coming out October 10. As far as features, I got features on there from everybody to Rakim, Scarface, Musiq Soulchild, of course 50, Buck and Yayo are on the album. This album is a real good treat and I'm putting New York City hip-hop on top in '06.

Rakim doesn't work with just anybody.

Nah, he doesn't, and that should tell you right there. He's a legend and it's an honor for me to collaborate with him. We have a relationship because he was on Aftermath. It wasn't anything but a phone call. I know New York City is anticipating that and it's going to be well worth the wait.

How was it working with Rakim?

I was actually on the road and I heard him on the record. I had always wanted to do a record with him and Biggie, God bless the Dead. They sent the record back and it is what it is. It's called "You Know the Deal." It's bananas. It just says "New York City" when you hear it. I just hope people embrace it. Not too many people get the stamp of approval from Rakim and I'm just happy he was able to make the album.

You guys seem to do a lot of your tracks on the road and in your own studios. Does not having the producer present hurt the records?

You know what? I'd be lying to you if I said I ever sat down with a producer. In my four years, I've never ever sat down with a producer to make a record. You would have to have a taste of something to miss it. Hopefully I can get in the studio sometime in the future. I'm real creative and I know how to do everything but make the damn beats. I don't have an A&R to pick my beats and I write all my own music. With all the big producers, it's hard to schedule everything. I promote and I work hard. I may not have the time to fly out somewhere and sit in the studio to make a record. They can have their creative input on the record. Maybe in the future we can actually sit down and do tracks together.

There's a rumor the track "Death Wish" is killing Fat Joe and Jadakiss. Can you talk about that record?

I've learned this from watching other artists. Sometimes when you sit back and wait, the anticipation builds up. I didn't go into the studio saying I was going to make a record about them. Sometimes people hear one line and can take that and say it is what you heard. It is what it is. When I take jabs they feel like uppercuts. I want to keep those disses on the mixtape market because that's where it started. I don't want all these diss tracks on my album. I don't think I want to take those monkeys all around the world. At the same time, I don't want people to say I did it because I was talking about this and that and because I have big-name producers. At the end of the day, it's about the music, but there will be some effects after they hear the record.

If The Lox or Fat Joe respond again, will you fire back?

It's kind of like I'm talking to the fans. I'm not making records for them dudes. I didn't know them before they popped and I don't know them now. Outside of Jadakiss, I never even met none of them dudes. It is what it is. They're on their way out. Once you go to Koch Records, you might as well close the casket, and that's where they're at. For the fans who don't know, they're on their way out of hip-hop. They tried to take shots and they did it to themselves. At the end of the day, I don't forgive or forget. One way or another you're going to hear my issues whether I want to take them worldwide or address them on the mixtapes.

G-Unit and beefs go hand-in-hand almost from day one. Have the beefs been good for G-Unit or has it taken away from the music?

I think it was good for their music. There are certain things you just don't give up because you rap. I'm not going to give up my self-respect. I don't care if we got a nine-to-five or we're entertainers. I think it was hard for them to get over it because they're so frustrated and they're focused on us. They pay so much attention to us that all their records were talking about us. There's a difference when somebody gets on a record and says fictional stuff. We said all facts. It's hard for them to get over that hurdle and the quality's been there since day one. I'm not out there making songs about them and I'm not out there promoting them. The people want to hear it though because they know there's more to be said.

How do you feel about how Mobb Deep's Blood Money came out and how it did at retail?

I feel like the album is fucking hot. I don't understand how people could say it's not hot. At the same time, hip-hop changes and it's their first project on G-Unit Records. I think it's a first-time thing because there's not a reference to that before. At the end of the day, the wind blows everything and everyone has their time to eat. The music is quality and that's all that matters.

What's going on with MOP right now?

MOP is finishing up as we speak and you can be expecting them real soon. I'm trying to lock them in the studio to get on my record. You can expect that in the near-future as well as Buck.

Is "Cake" doing as well for you as you wanted it to?

"Cake," as far as records spins, is doing very well and there's a million listeners on the internet right now. It was the number-one downloaded song on the internet at one point. I just shot the video for that as well as one for "Hands Up." I'm trying to hit them with the twin blow real quick and I'm going to hit them with another single and video before the album drops.

Lloyd Banks is about to be everywhere.

Everywhere, period. I'm back on the streets with my mixtape and I have the commercial attention from the singles. This is it. I've been waiting for this time. I'm going to make the records I want to do so I'm going to be coming out of my pocket paying for certain visuals that I want out there. I'm going to flood the market and I'm not listening to nobody. I don't believe in oversaturation. If the music is there and the quality is behind it, there's no such thing as oversaturation.

Is this your year?

This is my year, period. This is my year just based off the quality of the album and where I'm taking it. I'm going to stand alone anyway. That's what hip-hop is about anyway. It's about staying relevant. A lot of artists have been crying about where the music is going. That's not what LL Cool J or Jay-Z did. They just staying relevant. Expect hip-hop to change with the times. If hip-hop stays the same, you're never going to elevate. I need to know how to do a lot of things. I'm versatile. All hip-hop music is good at the end of the day because it's opening new markets and allowing people to be financially straight in hip-hop.

A lot of people talk about how bad New York hip-hop is. It's got to be frustrating to hear that based on what you and the Unit is accomplishing.

You're absolutely right. That shit frustrates me because I feel like they should be saying some names. Don't just say "New York City hip-hop." In the last two years, we've generated 28-million records sold. When you say "New York City hip-hop," who are you talking about? Tell everyone else to step their shit up. I have one album out and it sold two-million worldwide. Give me a chance to fuck up first before you say I fell off. That's the only thing that frustrates me. Say names. Say who you're disappointed in.

Bottom line, the people who are saying that are frustrated. I'm going to do my part though, man. I'm not going to bring any lollipop records. I'm trying to make people step their pen game up and go back to the lyrics. That's why you hear those verses you hear on my first single. Those are mixtape-type verses. That's what's missing in hip-hop. I feel like people needed to have a chance to press rewind for a minute. That's what I'm trying to do now.

Is it ever hard balancing your street records with the radio singles?

I guess it would be to some people, but I feel like I'm well-rounded when it comes to music. I know how to make hard street records. I make those in my sleep. I know how to make the club records like "On Fire" and I know how to make records catered to the females. I can do stories and concepts. I can do it all. I'm going to show that on the album. It's about being versatile. They say the gangsters are running hip-hop, then they say the happy music is running hip-hop, and then they say the down south music is running hip-hop. It just goes wherever the wind takes it. I just want to keep up in between everything.

A lot of kids look up to you. What advice do you have for kids coming up in the game?

Number one, believe in yourself. Number two, don't rush to sign anything. There are a lot of artists out there who are desperate. The biggest and probably the most important thing I did was be patient. I had labels knocking at my door before the Unit. That could have been good but it could have been a mistake. And if you're 16, trust me, your music is not going to sound the same when you're 21. You don't want to have music you recorded under a prior contract coming out and sounding dated after you switch labels. Just be patient and you're going to know when you're ready before anybody else does. Don't be in denial. That's the biggest thing. That was the most important thing for me. Now I'm signed to a major, Interscope Records, and I don't have to worry about Mojo Records coming out and putting their shit out the same week my shit comes out. Just be patient.

How do you feel about the mixtape game and how every artist is doing mixtapes right now?

It's fucked up. It takes me back to last summer when they told me we were oversaturating the market. I said, Cool. I hit the road and gave a little room for the new cats to breathe. You know what they're telling me now? The mixtape market isn't the same. I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so! Now I'm going to go right back to the roots and I'm putting out my mixtapes every month like the original process. Rest in Peace to Justo. I won the Mixtape Artist of the Year before and I'm going to win some kind of trophy again this year because I'm going hard in the street. I gave people a chance to eat and now it's time for the Punchline King to take back over. That's where I have fun, man, the stage and the mixtapes.

How do you feel about the young guys coming up like the Saigon's and Papoose's?

I don't want to be biased. I have to hear more than one reference before I say, They're the next one. I have enough to prove myself. I still have my own hurdles. I tip my hat to all the new artists participating in the next generation of New York City hip-hop. When I hear it, I'll let you know.

Will we see Lloyd Banks behind a desk someday?

Eventually. I just want people to grow with me. That's all I ask for. I think sometimes expectations are so high based on the entirety of the group. People see clothes, movies, books and all that and sometimes they forget the work that goes into it. I'd rather be a key player on a winning team than Kobe Bryant on the losing team. That's the whole thing. It's about the family. If opportunities knock, I'm definitely going to take them, but I'm not going to be the CEO with a bunch of wack-ass artists. I'd rather wait three or four years for one artist than spend millions on three or four bums. I got two award nominations for my Dope film and I have offers on the table and I'm trying to conquer that scene. I have a few more albums easily. I want to clear my hurdles first before I worry about somebody else.

Can you take us through an average day in the life of Lloyd Banks?

It's crazy. There are so many days that it's hard for me to go back. I'll just give you my yesterday. My day started at 8 in the morning with getting prepped for the video, and then you shoot 'til 4:30 in the morning. Then you have to get up and do press all day, get on a damn plane from LA back to New York, then wake up. I've been up today since 9 doing press. At the end of the day, there are a lot of people who wish they had that schedule so I can't complain. I'll sleep when I'm dead.

What do you want to say to everybody?

Get ready. Put your seatbelt on. This right here is what they've been waiting on. I'm a student of hip-hop. I still get out there and still get the mixtapes whenever I get the chance to and I'm satisfied knowing what a hit record sounds like. You can definitely expect to hear a few more coming out of me. I'm just getting started. I definitely want to send my appreciation to my fans for putting me where I'm at. Hunger for More was overlooked but it still sold two-million and is still climbing, so it was a success, and I hope to double up this time around. You can catch me out there in the littlest, grimy clubs to the big arenas from September to next September. Just lock and load. I'm going to be through every hood and I'm definitely in touch.

http://www.hiphopgame.com/index2.php3?page=lloydbanks

GangstaBoogy

Re: New Lloyd Banks interview
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 05:35:55 PM »
Is the rumor that one of your girlfriends stole your album master and leaked it online true?

First off, I don't have a girlfriend and I've never had a girlfriend. I've always had the bachelor lifestyle and I meet a lot of people.

always been a fag perhaps?
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 05:55:56 PM »
^ and yet again the predictable haters make pointless comments. Good interview, props for this.

Ðøšïå

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 06:08:37 PM »
lmao at lloyd saying game isnt on his level.. banks got wrecked on and he knows it.

Diabolical

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 07:21:06 PM »
Fuck Banks, LOX > G-Unit.

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 09:00:23 PM »
you can tell banks is not comfortable with girls just by seing some of his videos

Raphael

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 03:04:13 AM »
you can tell banks is not comfortable with girls just by seing some of his videos

wcsoldier

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 04:42:45 AM »
Lol at some in this thread... We all wish to hit as much as pussy Banks did...

I_Knockout_U

• Lil Geezy
  • The Murda's Murda
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 06:47:32 AM »
lmao at lloyd saying game isnt on his level.. banks got wrecked on and he knows it.

Show me one line please... haha

Crack Tastic

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 07:49:41 AM »
What's up?

As far as my physical, I'm a little under the weather. I just came back from the hospital. I got a little strep throat from traveling.
what a pussy

First off, I don't have a girlfriend and I've never had a girlfriend. I've always had the bachelor lifestyle and I meet a lot of people.

always been a fag perhaps?
lol

$Eg2$

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 02:13:12 PM »
lloyd piggy banks needs to give it up his album his gonna flop aint nobody checkin for his shit. Detox whats up with all the Banks topics ???