Author Topic: Daz Debuts at # 35 selling 23,000 units.  (Read 1359 times)

Raphael

Re: Daz Debuts at # 35 selling 23,000 units.
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2006, 05:54:06 AM »
fuck them radio motherfuckers... they are no longer west radios...we don't got radio stations no more... >:(

AOL radio has a West Coast only channel.

Daz is actually #6 on the R&B charts.
why is he even on r&b?
R&B/Hip-Hop  http://billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?g=Albums&f=Top+R%26B%2FHip-Hop+Albums

proverbs aka DD

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2006, 08:42:26 AM »
fuck them radio motherfuckers... they are no longer west radios...we don't got radio stations no more... >:(

AOL radio has a West Coast only channel.

Daz is actually #6 on the R&B charts.

thats actually not a bad way to look at it.  considering 3 of the people ahead of him are major pop icons.

youngmessnucca

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2006, 01:06:09 PM »
Albums just aren't selling anymore due to mass downloading. 23K is fine for a "washed up" artist like Daz. He got a little extra industry attention with this release, so his future indy projects will do a little better. I dont see him putting out another SoSoDef album thouigh.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2006, 06:44:35 PM »
The West Coast doesn't even support their own artists as much..

Look at KDAY's playlist http://www.935kday.com/index.php

Look at power 106's playlist http://www.power106.fm/playlist/index.aspx

power 106 is  a little better.. but still.. they need to act like NY and give their artists a bigger buzz.

now look at Houston's playlist..

Party 104.9 http://www.party1049.com/pages/70649.php?contentType=4&contentId=190413
97.9 The Box http://www.kbxx.com/playlist.asp

See how they only support the south and only play the MAJOR MAJOR songs.. But they don't give the WC any play.. Thats why all their artists are going gold and platinum..  I'm not saying Daz should go platinum, but his album is probably better than half the people who are doing well in the south.

I agree, but I guess they have to play what gets requested...We need to blame it on the consumers out here who eat that shit up just as much as we blame it on the radios...It'll take a group effort to put the west coast back on top of things, unfortunately, no one will ever realize that...PeACe

people only request what they hear. if you play a track 10 times in a row, it tends to grow on you. how many songs have you heard where it took awhile to start feeling it? The radio djs are just playing what they are paid to play

i think times like this is where i miss Death Row Records.. They had a deal with Interscope like G-unit and Aftermath does. They were getting all sorts of radio play.. Now that we don't have a true west coast record label with a good deal it seems that the music is getting shitted on.

But you see, the average consumer is too dumb nowadays to feel a song like lets say "Cali Iz Active" enough to continuously request it...Regardless, even if they heard it on the radio tons of times, kids can't feel that shit anymore, it's too much for them, they want some "Laffy Taffy" shit, some "Meet Me In The Club" shit...It basically comes down to the generations getting dumber and dumber and being down with some of the gayest shit ever...PeACe

I'd have to say that is a biased statement....people who grew up on 60's n 70's R&B, or even rock, could say the same about their younger generations, which actually include us. My dad doesn't even like the Smooth Jazz on radio because he feels it lacks the soul that the old Jazz had....and he definitely can't get into rap....so the same way that we think "Laffy taffy" and "It's goin down" is trash....10-15 years ago, the older crowd probably thought Doggystyle and Chronic were just as trash...."all they talk about is drinkin and shootin each other".

But by removing the bias....I would say that the younger crowd just doesn't get into these true west coast songs as much as they may to "Laffy taffy"...but there have been many west coast songs that have been just as catchy as Laffy Taffy, without being as watered down. But i'ts just a domino effect....if everything on radio the last few years did sound like "Cali is active" then the younger crowd would like it. The young crowd basically likes whatever they hear, and that's what molds their preferred style.

WestCoasta

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2006, 06:50:34 PM »
it's really too bad that we have to worry about what retards like, but that's the way it is  :-\

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2006, 08:40:48 PM »

power 106 is  a little better.. but still.. they need to act like NY and give their artists a bigger buzz.

Party 104.9 http://www.party1049.com/pages/70649.php?contentType=4&contentId=190413

See how they only support the south and only play the MAJOR MAJOR songs.. But they don't give the WC any play.. Thats why all their artists are going gold and platinum..  I'm not saying Daz should go platinum, but his album is probably better than half the people who are doing well in the south.

I agree, but I guess they have to play what gets requested...We need to blame it on the consumers out here who eat that shit up just as much as we blame it on the radios...It'll take a group effort to put the west coast back on top of things, unfortunately, no one will ever realize that...PeACe

people only request what they hear. if you play a track 10 times in a row, it tends to grow on you. how many songs have you heard where it took awhile to start feeling it? The radio djs are just playing what they are paid to play

i think times like this is where i miss Death Row Records.. They had a deal with Interscope like G-unit and Aftermath does. They were getting all sorts of radio play.. Now that we don't have a true west coast record label with a good deal it seems that the music is getting shitted on.

But you see, the average consumer is too dumb nowadays to feel a song like lets say "Cali Iz Active" enough to continuously request it...Regardless, even if they heard it on the radio tons of times, kids can't feel that shit anymore, it's too much for them, they want some "Laffy Taffy" shit, some "Meet Me In The Club" shit...It basically comes down to the generations getting dumber and dumber and being down with some of the gayest shit ever...PeACe

I'd have to say that is a biased statement....people who grew up on 60's n 70's R&B, or even rock, could say the same about their younger generations, which actually include us. My dad doesn't even like the Smooth Jazz on radio because he feels it lacks the soul that the old Jazz had....and he definitely can't get into rap....so the same way that we think "Laffy taffy" and "It's goin down" is trash....10-15 years ago, the older crowd probably thought Doggystyle and Chronic were just as trash...."all they talk about is drinkin and shootin each other".

But by removing the bias....I would say that the younger crowd just doesn't get into these true west coast songs as much as they may to "Laffy taffy"...but there have been many west coast songs that have been just as catchy as Laffy Taffy, without being as watered down. But i'ts just a domino effect....if everything on radio the last few years did sound like "Cali is active" then the younger crowd would like it. The young crowd basically likes whatever they hear, and that's what molds their preferred style.

I don't give a fuck what you say, comparing "Laffy Taffy" and "The Chronic" is ridiculous, at least commercial hip-hop around that time was still music... it was still well-produced original compositions we were hearing, regardless of whether the previous generation couldn't feel the subject matter, it was something special... no one can deny that the sucess of west coast hip-hop is a landmark in music history, it added an extra dimension to not only hip-hop, but music in general...This new shit we're hearing on the radio is destroying dimensions and destroying ear-drums of ANYONE who knows what authentic music is...It's not even arguable, the shit is so damn generic, wattered down, and it's not real music, most the shit I hear on the radio sounds like Casio beats with dudes yelling or talking (I don't even consider it flowing anymore) over them and repeating the same shit over and over until it stick in the heads of our dumb ass youth...It even goes the same for TV shows, I was flippin the channels this morning and I came across this cartoon called "The Loonatics" or some shit, it was like a futuristic spaced out version of "Loony Toons". It had a big ass Yosemitey Sam reincarnation riding some space shuttle and shooting laser beams at a black rabbit which was supposed to be a reincarnation of Bugs Bunny...Straight ridiculous shit like that, our world is just getting dumber and dumber as the years go by...There's a difference between not liking something because it is generic and destroys the meaning of original artwork than simply not liking it due to preference...You see, I don't like Country, but I can still appreciate that it is music, you can tell the difference between something that just isn't your taste or something that is killing music, and songs like "Laffy Taffy" are definitely the latter...PeACe

proverbs aka DD

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2006, 10:41:55 AM »

I don't give a fuck what you say, comparing "Laffy Taffy" and "The Chronic" is ridiculous, at least commercial hip-hop around that time was still music... it was still well-produced original compositions we were hearing, regardless of whether the previous generation couldn't feel the subject matter, it was something special... no one can deny that the sucess of west coast hip-hop is a landmark in music history, it added an extra dimension to not only hip-hop, but music in general...This new shit we're hearing on the radio is destroying dimensions and destroying ear-drums of ANYONE who knows what authentic music is...It's not even arguable, the shit is so damn generic, wattered down, and it's not real music, most the shit I hear on the radio sounds like Casio beats with dudes yelling or talking (I don't even consider it flowing anymore) over them and repeating the same shit over and over until it stick in the heads of our dumb ass youth...It even goes the same for TV shows, I was flippin the channels this morning and I came across this cartoon called "The Loonatics" or some shit, it was like a futuristic spaced out version of "Loony Toons". It had a big ass Yosemitey Sam reincarnation riding some space shuttle and shooting laser beams at a black rabbit which was supposed to be a reincarnation of Bugs Bunny...Straight ridiculous shit like that, our world is just getting dumber and dumber as the years go by...There's a difference between not liking something because it is generic and destroys the meaning of original artwork than simply not liking it due to preference...You see, I don't like Country, but I can still appreciate that it is music, you can tell the difference between something that just isn't your taste or something that is killing music, and songs like "Laffy Taffy" are definitely the latter...PeACe

ironically enough, you guys are kinda saying the same thing..

see the difference between "The Chronic" and "Laffy Taffy" is who is involved in the music.. Even though i dont think D4L had that much success to be a proper comparison, i'll still use them as an example.

Back in 1992- rap was considered 'black music'.. It was music we put out to express our ideas and our feelings of the time. We had civil injustices, police brutality, the riots... Thats why The Chronic was good. It was a soundtrack to the street. They were played on our radio stations. Remember, MTV and VH1 didn't play rap at first. It was mostly BET..

Nowadays, rap is not considered 'black music' anymore. Theres so much multi-cultural love of rap music. So nowadays you got the successful rappers diversifying their content to appeal to the mass crowds.. Thats why D4L get so much play on the radio rather than Daz who seems to be stuck in 1992.

So for us older fans who still remember what rap used to stand for, we get upset when we hear these fake-sellout songs that is just trying to appeal to the masses with simple beats and catchy phrases. And like the guy said before you, this happens to ALL genres of music. 

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2006, 12:00:33 PM »

First up....I am definitely not comparing Laffy Taffy to the Chronic, especially not musically.....all I am saying is that older generations didn't get into that style of music at all, just as we don't get into Laffy Taffy.

As far as the music on Chronic and in 92......you can't even call em "original compositions" because 98% was sampled or interpolated...and that is one of the things that most older people hated about rap at that time. People like my dad who loved the Parliament and Roger n Zapp era couldn't get into the Dre and "G-Funk" tracks but so much, just because they had heard it before, and when they heard it, it was a lot more musical. Most rap songs would take a small part of the funk songs and loop them, or re-play a part of it, but they wouldn't keep all of the complex musical changes that made many older people love it.

I only compared "Chronic" and "Doggystyle" because that's our favorite music....but to be a lot more realistic, I'd say that "Whoop there it is" and "Ice Ice Baby" are a lot more comparable to Laffy Taffy. I just think younger generations are influenced by WHATEVER they hear on radio, and that makes them like it....regardless of how empty and bare, or how complex and musical it is...and when they grow older, they tend to hate whatever the young crowd listens to...but they contradict themselves, just because their bias makes them feel that their generation's music really was the best, when it's all about taste and preference. On the flip side, there are certain elements of music that can always be judged throughout time, and people who are best at evaluating music in this way can usually decipher what is really "quality" and what isn't.....and with that, some of the music we grew up on passes that test, and some of it doesn't even come close.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2006, 12:10:44 PM »

ironically enough, you guys are kinda saying the same thing..

see the difference between "The Chronic" and "Laffy Taffy" is who is involved in the music.. Even though i dont think D4L had that much success to be a proper comparison, i'll still use them as an example.

Back in 1992- rap was considered 'black music'.. It was music we put out to express our ideas and our feelings of the time. We had civil injustices, police brutality, the riots... Thats why The Chronic was good. It was a soundtrack to the street. They were played on our radio stations. Remember, MTV and VH1 didn't play rap at first. It was mostly BET..

Nowadays, rap is not considered 'black music' anymore. Theres so much multi-cultural love of rap music. So nowadays you got the successful rappers diversifying their content to appeal to the mass crowds.. Thats why D4L get so much play on the radio rather than Daz who seems to be stuck in 1992.

So for us older fans who still remember what rap used to stand for, we get upset when we hear these fake-sellout songs that is just trying to appeal to the masses with simple beats and catchy phrases. And like the guy said before you, this happens to ALL genres of music. 

LOL.....yeah, we are just taking two different sides of the same argument.

Unofficially, I study music history....so I tend to see a LOT of patterns in music, and I see how a lot of things work. So with that....I have heard many people say that Chronic and Doggystyle were so massive because they found the perfect formula of bringing the gangsta edge of the streets to catchy lyrics and hooks, to great production that took elements of the past (70's Funk), present (scratching, drum tracks, new sounds), and making that the future of music for a while. That made it appeal to many people at the time, but as with everything, there were people who grew up on the earlier music who couldn't get into it for various reasons.....some of them hated the content and how they weren't talking about much of anything positive as a lot of 80's rap did....some were caught up in the New Jack Swing sound, and didn't want to hear the same Funk songs that they heard 10-12 years before...and as far as people who weren't into rap and never understood or appreciated sampling and interpolating, they weren't gonna like anything that wasn't original, period.

And yeah, similar things happen in every genre, and they happen every couple of years. As bad as it sounds, there will be people who are 21-25 in the year 2016-2018, who will really think that 2004-2008 was the golden age of rap, and sadly enough, they may have evidence of the record sales to "prove" that they are right.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2006, 01:32:43 PM »
The point I'm making is that even though the older generation couldn't feel "Doggystyle" or "Chronic", it doesn't mean it's comparable to us not feeling "Laffy Taffy"...We don't feel commercial shit nowadays simply because it's effortless, generic, it's a bunch of artists copying eachother with no evolution and pretty much no skill involved...It's 2 different reasons not to like something, and no one with credibility will ever be able to say 2004-2008 was the golden age in rap, it just won't work like that...PeACe