It's August 29, 2025, 12:42:19 AM
Mijailovic ban for McCarthy abuseWisla Krakow defender Nikola Mijailovic has been banned for five Uefa matches for the racial abuse of Blackburn striker Benni McCarthy. The Serbian was found guilty of the offence that took place when the sides met on 19 October, by European football's governing body Uefa. The 24-year-old was charged based on a complaint by Blackburn, the FA and match referee Stefan Johannesson. Mijailovic, who denied the allegations, has until Monday to appeal. Blackburn welcomed the outcome of the case. "Firstly, we appreciate Uefa's speed in dealing with this important issue," said a statement on the club website. "Secondly, we believe that Uefa's decision sends out a clear message that racism will not, and should not, be tolerated in the game." McCarthy apparently approached Johannesson at half-time but alleged that the taunts continued. "Benni was upset by a number of personal comments directed at him by one of their players," Blackburn boss Mark Hughes said last week. "It happened right throughout the game. Benni, to his credit, did not react to them and he highlighted the issue to a number of Krakow players and the referee at half-time. "The situation still developed and there were more comments at the end of the game."