Author Topic: Japan's Game Gods Weigh In On Next-Gen Race  (Read 745 times)

Trauma-san

Japan's Game Gods Weigh In On Next-Gen Race
« on: October 07, 2006, 01:08:11 PM »
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6159460.html?tag=latestnews;title;0

Quick summary: of the top 58 or so game developers in Japan, 60% say the Wii will win the next gen console race (in sales), 63% say they would prefer to work on games for the Wii, and 99% gave positive comments about the Wii (as opposed to 53% positive for the Xbox and 80% positive for the PS3).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japan's game gods weigh in
Weekly Famitsu polls Japan's top game makers on the next-generation consoles.
By Walt Wyman, GameSpot
Posted Oct 6, 2006 5:41 pm PT
The current issue of Weekly Famitsu contains seven pages of interviews with some of Japan's most celebrated game creators. The topic was the upcoming three-way race between the Microsoft Xbox 360, Sony PlayStation 3, and Nintendo Wii.

The first respondant was Yoshiki Okamoto, former Capcom COO and now president of Game Republic. His credits include Time Pilot, Street Fighter II, the first three Resident Evils and Code: Veronica. He is currently working on the PS3 games Monster Kingdom: Unknown Realms (working title) and Genji.

He stated that sales, not specifications, are what really matter. "Many talk about which is the best piece of hardware, but I think this is meaningless. The problem is how much the hardware will sell. If all the [next-generation] consoles can sell 10 million units, then they've all won. It is possible that all the hardware will be winners, but it's also possible that they'll all be losers." The one thing that may tip the scales, according to Okamoto, is the game lineup. "I think the console that produces killer titles will see sudden growth in sales. The consoles that can't keep up will have an uphill fight."

Next, Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima weighed in. Although his next big game, Metal Gear Solid 4, will be for the PlayStation 3, he took a very non-partisan view. "I think [each console] is attractive, and I want them all to do well. … we're already thinking about what we can express on each machine. I am not interested at all about which hardware succeeds. As I said, I want them all to do well."

Discussing the Wii, Sora LLC president and Meteos co-creator Masahiro Sakurai talked about the Wii's controller in the context of Super Smash Bros. Brawl development. He gently chastised the herd-mentality among developers regarding the Wiimote. "…I think there are a lot of games that rely on the controller. There are games that use it as a racket or bat, and a game in which it's used like a scalpel to perform surgery. They all take a different approach, but this has given the impression that the controller is specialized to provide enjoyment through mimicking [activities]. However, how this develops is what's important. For example, how do you [use the Wiimote] to create the fun and addictiveness of your games?"

He also revealed that Brawl would take its own path. "We have given no thought to how we'll use the controller in Brawl. We decided to use it like a normal controller." However, he did not rule it out entirely, adding "…it will not be used in the course of normal play."

In addition to the interviews, Famitsu revealed the results of a questionnaire sent to 58 developers working at 19 software companies in Japan. They first asked how the developers felt, in general, about each of the systems. The results were very positive. Of those polled 80 percent expressed positive views on the PS3. For the Wii, 99 percent took a bullish stance. Views on the Xbox 360 were somewhat more negative, with 45 percent stating they had few expectations for the console. Even so, a majority 53 percent responded positively on its prospects.

Finally, Famitsu asked for some more specific opinions. When pressed as to which console they personally wanted to own, 9 percent of the developers said Xbox 360, 42 percent PS3, and 49 percent Wii.

As for which platform they want to develop games for, only 5 percent answered Xbox, while the PS3 and Wii respectively got 32 percent and 63 percent of the votes.

On the topic of which console they thought would sell the most, the developers picked the Wii by a landslide--60 percent, compared with 37 percent and 3 percent for the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Sparegeez

Re: Japan's Game Gods Weigh In On Next-Gen Race
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 01:12:06 PM »
You just love Nintedo's dick don't you? It's ok if the Japs don't like our systems (the Xbox) kuz I don't even play their lil japanese games. Football and shooters are my thing.

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 05:20:40 PM »
Who are you, and have you ever posted here before?  I own this shit, and you seem to know that by your extensive knowledge of my posting habits.  I have no idea of your existance; you study mine.  I am major, you are the minor.... it doesn't matter what you wish to say about me, I am infinitely superior to you in every way because in my world you don't even exist.  Have a nice day!

Sparegeez

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 07:03:41 PM »
Who are you, and have you ever posted here before?  I own this shit, and you seem to know that by your extensive knowledge of my posting habits.  I have no idea of your existance; you study mine.  I am major, you are the minor.... it doesn't matter what you wish to say about me, I am infinitely superior to you in every way because in my world you don't even exist.  Have a nice day!

Who am I? -I'm Sparegeez bitch, G-spot Legend and I've been here for only a couple months.

Who are you? -A lil japanese boy with his dick on his hand everytime he hears some Nintendo news.

And why do you think you're superior to me? -Because you have a lot more posts than a guy who gets a lot more bitches.

ωεεźγ ғ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 07:07:02 PM »
^ LMAO what a fucking fag. Own this shit? You own dick all. Look at your homo ass being proud of posting  all this nintendo shit that we all let go at the age of 6. And yeah the only thing your superior in is being an asshole. Like seriously i dont even give a shit about you but that was the most corniest post i ever read.   

ksizzle

• Lil Geezy
  • "Take a knee"
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 07:19:23 PM »

what kinda faggot says that shit? okay nintendo wii is coming out soon, who gives a fuck? u think the nintendo comittee is gonna check their dubcc accounts to see if some faggoty ass kid spreads the word on their upcoming products, and give u a free one? no bitch, get that shit outta here and buy some tissue when ps3's and 360's sell more.

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 07:46:42 PM »
theres no denying the wii will do well in japan, but it'll be a foot race between sony and microsoft elsewhere.

Don Seer

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 04:13:40 AM »
^
how can it be a foot race when sony is turning up four months late in europe

AND are saying "hell the europeans don't mind.. they're used to it"

their arrogance in every area is whats going to fuck them over this time

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 05:00:08 AM »
Hello Overseer! Nice to see you.  I was beginning to think there was nothing but a bunch of newbies around.  Good friend, will you please summarize what there posts were?  I think my mind has grown so exponentially I can only read intellegent commentary and while your words are sharp as ever, their posts look incredibly blurry. 

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 06:27:25 AM »
^
how can it be a foot race when sony is turning up four months late in europe

AND are saying "hell the europeans don't mind.. they're used to it"

their arrogance in every area is whats going to fuck them over this time

I dunno, people will still buy the system (minus you two).......once the 3 systems are out......we'll see who comes out on top

Bomb-A®

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 06:30:28 AM »

the key words there "IN MY WORLD"...dude ur a joke...u just have a knack for killing any discussion with one post...but seeing as how this is a discussion forum i'm sure u can see why we frown upon that talent of yours

peace

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 11:11:33 AM »

LMFAO!  Christ dude you're a fuckin douche.  I picture you looking like that fat motherfucker on that World of Warcraft episode of South Park, or maybe the comic book shop owner on The Simpsons.  Anybody that posts on message boards and think they "own this shit" needs to get a fuckin life.  Have you ever been laid?

Sparegeez

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 11:36:26 AM »
Hello Overseer! Nice to see you.  I was beginning to think there was nothing but a bunch of newbies around.  Good friend, will you please summarize what there posts were?  I think my mind has grown so exponentially I can only read intellegent commentary and while your words are sharp as ever, their posts look incredibly blurry. 

That was a great excuse for "I have nothing to say cuz I just got my ass handed to me."

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 02:49:12 PM »

That was a great excuse for "I have nothing to say cuz I just got my ass handed to me."

lol.

ωεεźγ ғ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2006, 02:52:09 PM »
Anybody that posts on message boards and think they "own this shit" needs to get a fuckin life.  Have you ever been laid?

Exactly my thoughts +1