Author Topic: NBA Refs Adopt A Zero-Tolerance Rule.  (Read 1060 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: NBA Refs Adopt A Zero-Tolerance Rule.
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 01:04:22 PM »
i mean seriously i think it'll get to the point when players or teams could start paying off refs

As if it hasn't reached that status yet...Not saying refs get paid off, but they unquestionably carry a bias towards certain teams and players.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2006, 11:54:47 AM »
Garnett blasts NBA's new crackdown policy

BY RICK ALONZO
Pioneer Press

Timberwolves all-star Kevin Garnett was fuming Wednesday night because of the NBA's new so-called zero-tolerance policy banning demonstrative behavior against officials, saying the rules were "just thrown on us."

That policy was enforced during the Timberwolves' exhibition opener against the Milwaukee Bucks at Target Center, which the Wolves won 98-93. Wolves center Mark Blount was assessed two technical fouls in the third quarter for apparently protesting fouls against him. He was automatically ejected after the second technical.

Garnett acknowledged the players were warned during training camp about the zero-tolerance policy. But that doesn't mean he has to like it.

"I don't know what the (expletive) the league is doing," Garnett said. "It's bugged out."

Garnett railed against the league for trying to control the emotions of players, who aren't allowed to show up officials with their actions on the court. Garnett is one of the most emotional players in the NBA, and he said that won't change.

"I'm not going to stop being who I am," Garnett said. "I'm going to do what I do. If it costs me a little money, then that's how it is. It's the only way I know how to play. (Owner) Glen Taylor don't want me to play any other kind of way. I'm sure (Wolves vice president of basketball operations) Kevin McHale sure don't want me to play any other kind of way."

Garnett said the players were shown a video of behavior that won't be tolerated, including the clip of an incident last season when Garnett tossed the ball into the Target Center stands and hit a man in the face.

"You've got to understand that the people that get the techs are emotional people," Garnett said. "Do we cross the line sometimes? I'm sure we walk it."

Garnett said he wasn't "speaking out" against the new policy but ripped it anyway.

"The fact that you can't really speak to the refs and the refs don't want to hear it, it's almost like communism, you know what I'm saying?" Garnett said. "That's like Castro, you know what I'm saying?"

Blount was ejected with about three minutes remaining in the third quarter after he apparently was complaining about something, possibly a traveling call against him. Blount seemed to be mumbling about it, and official James Capers called a second technical against Blount, resulting in an automatic ejection.

With less than four minutes left in the fourth quarter, the Wolves' Marko Jaric was called for a technical foul when he slapped the ball onto the court in reaction to a foul called against him.

"We've got to be smarter, more under control," Wolves coach Dwane Casey said after the game. "I don't want to take away our passion and energy, but we've got to have some self-control and make sure we don't cost our team points in those crucial situations."

Blount wasn't available for comment after the game. Jaric owned up to his actions.

"I know I made a mistake," he said.

Citizen-Y

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2006, 03:33:38 AM »
Awesome, now we can stop seeing professional atheletes bitching about every call.

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2006, 12:18:24 PM »
I wouldn't have a problem with a rule like this if you also eliminated all the incompetent and grossly biased officiating that exists in the NBA nowadays. If you're going to hodl the players to such a strict standard, you'd better hold the Steve Javie's that like to take over the game with the whistle to the same standard. Since that's obviously not going to happen and we'll still have to put up with incompetent and biased officiating, Stern's directive here is utter bullshit.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2006, 01:32:53 PM »
I wouldn't have a problem with a rule like this if you also eliminated all the incompetent and grossly biased officiating that exists in the NBA nowadays. If you're going to hodl the players to such a strict standard, you'd better hold the Steve Javie's that like to take over the game with the whistle to the same standard. Since that's obviously not going to happen and we'll still have to put up with incompetent and biased officiating, Stern's directive here is utter bullshit.

Stern is the one who's telling the refs to take over the game and decide which team wins. Exhibit A: the 2006 NBA Finals.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Just Another Sunny day in California

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Twin Turbos....yeeeee
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2006, 01:39:26 PM »
this has to be the dumbest shit ever, the NBA gets lamer year by year.  I kinda stopped watching ever since Jordan left the Bulls, for me the league isn't as excitting.
Oh I like this one... One dog goes one way, the other dog goes the other way, and this guy's sayin', "Whadda ya want from me?

Citizen-Y

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2006, 06:50:53 PM »

Stern is the one who's telling the refs to take over the game and decide which team wins. Exhibit A: the 2002 WCF.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2006, 06:51:55 PM »

Stern is the one who's telling the refs to take over the game and decide which team wins. Exhibit A: the 2002 WCF.

LMAO...Sorry, but this HAS to be a joke, right?

Citizen-Y

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2006, 07:25:26 PM »

Of course not.  That game is legendary on how the Kings got screwed by the officials.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2006, 07:27:54 PM »

Of course not.  That game is legendary on how the Kings got screwed by the officials.

Even bitching King fans knew Lakers were the better team...

d-nice

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2006, 07:31:50 PM »
Hah, Queens fans still hot about that series.

Citizen-Y

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2006, 07:41:12 PM »

Even bitching King fans knew Lakers were the better team...

Couldn't stop Shaq, Kobe and the whistle!

Citizen-Y

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2006, 07:41:38 PM »

I'm not a fan.

d-nice

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2006, 07:45:56 PM »

I'm not a fan.

My bad then. Not half as bad as the Miami series with Dallas though.

Citizen-Y

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2006, 07:49:15 PM »

I'm not a fan.

My bad then. Not half as bad as the Miami series with Dallas though.

There is always going to be questionable calls and it's going to be highlighted more when you have an owner who makes a living bashing the officials.  Besides, who are the refs going support more?  Steve Javy was fined for telling Riley three years ago that he is happy to watch him and his team die and you know the refs can't stand Cuban

It came down to a guy who drove to the basket more than just taking a 15 foot jumper.