Author Topic: Xzibit- Full Circle review from SOHH.com  (Read 282 times)

d-nice

Xzibit- Full Circle review from SOHH.com
« on: October 17, 2006, 11:11:24 AM »
Interesting read I guess:

So in a previous blog, I questioned whether or not the new Xzibit album, Full Circle would be anything worth checking out. And anyone who ventures out to buy the album today will quickly discover the answer: hell to the yes.

As anyone who read the aforementioned blog is already aware of, I was skeptical at best as to how Full Circle would turn out. The lead single, “Concentrate,” had a dope beat, but the lyrics were mad simple and I just wasn’t really feeling his delivery all that much. Then, prior to the interview that I did last week, his publicist had sent me an album sampler that featured 8 of the album’s 13 tracks, and I found out that based on what I was hearing, this album was going to be better than I expected.

But the best was yet to come as I came to find out on Saturday when the full album arrived in the mail, the album’s best tracks weren’t even on the sampler. Although I got the chance to preview “Invade My Space” featuring Jelly Roll, “Say it To My Face” with Kurupt and Don Blaze, and "Black & Brown," it was what I heard on Saturday that sold me on the album.

“On Bail,” featuring The Game, Daz and T-Pain, is full of the kind of energy that posse cuts used to have (to reference previous Xzibit albums, check out “Plastic Surgery” or “Birds Eye View” from At The Speed Of Life, “Pussy Pop” or “Let It Rain” from 40 Dayz & 40 Nightz, or “Rimz & Tirez” from Restless), and “Poppin Off” (with DJ Quik and King T) and “Movin’ in Your Chucks” featuring Too Short and Kurupt are two of the best tracks on the album.

But to me the standout on Full Circle is “The Whole World,” where X carries the song on his own, and Jelly Roll comes from left field with a fucking banger. The beat is on some bizarre shit, a track so unique that it stands out as one of Jelly Roll’s finest up to this point. And “The Whole World” finds X in top lyrical form, showing us that no matter how many rides he’s pimped for that Bentley money, he’s still got the talent that we remember him for.

There are a couple of less-interesting tracks -- “Ram Part Division,” “Family Values” and “Black & Brown” don’t really carry the same vocal intensity that the rest of the album does, and the beats are a little bit dull -but what they lack in intensity, they make up for in content. While “Ram Part Division” has Xzibit playing the role of an L.A. Pricks and Dicks officer over a DJ Quik beat (not one of his best), “Values” gives X a chance to follow up his 1996 ode to his son, “The Foundation” with an update. And “Black & Brown” shows Xzibit in a contemplative and humble light, pondering race relations between Blacks and Latinos in L.A., which is some pretty positive shit for a guy who got his face slashed open with a Jack Daniels bottle by a Mexican dude.

Nay sayers might approach the album ready to compare it to Xzibit albums of past; I was as guilty as anyone, until comments from some of the blog readers, and words from the man himself caused me to approach the album with a different perspective; I’ve finally come to terms with the fact that we’ll never hear another At The Speed Of Life from Mr. X To Tha Z. But while he might not make another album like his first one, he still dropped a solid joint, and that’s more than a lot of rappers are doing these days. All in all, definitely worth copping.

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Xzibit- Full Circle review from SOHH.com
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 12:08:30 PM »
OK review I guess, but wtf was the writer thinking when he wrote this:

There are a couple of less-interesting tracks -- “Ram Part Division,” “Family Values” and “Black & Brown”

Family Values and Black & Brown are like my favorite tracks on the album! (Besides Thank You and Poppin Off)
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

d-nice

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 12:11:29 PM »
Yeah that was what I was thinking all the tracks people in Dubcc like, he doesn't and all the ones that people here have said suck (Movin In Ya Chucks) he said are dope. I am going to pick up the album in the next couple of minutes, because I have heard every comment you can think of about the album.

djkoast

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 12:50:57 PM »
I thought it was a very honest review.  Although I disagree with the reviewer (and agree with Lil Jay) about some of those tracks.  I think it was a pretty good review for someone who just did it for fun on a message board.  Considering it came from hate central aka SOHH.com it is suprising.  I did not see 'Xzibit lost' once in the entire review.  If any of you post there, then you would know what I am saying.

I still have not heard the album all the way from start to finish cuz I haven't got a chance to go out and buy it (Ill be at Amoeba this weekend buying the vinyl if its there).
http://the9elements.blogspot.com/

News, fashion, audio downloads, videos, reviews, and upcoming events from LA to NYC!

FLACO220

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Wut Up Tho'!!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 01:55:41 PM »
Black & Brown is a fuckin dope jam...fuck that writer...he just dont understand it thats why...
WestCoast 4 Life!!

SlickPants

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 03:45:26 PM »
what the hell is wrong with this reviewer.  family values is one of my favorite songs on the album

WestCoasta

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 03:57:55 PM »
my favorites:

Poppin Off
Movin In Your Chucks
Scandalous Bitch
Say It to My Face

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 06:09:16 PM »
Black & Brown is a fuckin dope jam...fuck that writer...he just dont understand it thats why...

Anyone who grew up in Southern Cali can relate to that shit, that's one of the realest rap songs I've ever heard, I could relate to that personally.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels