Author Topic: Jay has got CRAZY promotion going for his new album...  (Read 415 times)

jeromechickenbone

Jay has got CRAZY promotion going for his new album...
« on: October 17, 2006, 07:43:06 PM »
Last night at half time of the monday night game, they showed a video for "Show Me What You Got".  He was cruising around with fuckin Dale Earnhardt in a ferrari or some shit and the song was playing and he was rapping along to it like it was a music video.  But it wasn't quite synched up perfectly...

Then, I'm watching the Mets / Cards game and this Budweiser commercial comes on and its got that song playing in it in then it plugs his release date at the end!

So they shot some bullshit video with some major cameo's and bought an advertising slot at half time of monday night football, then they link up with Budweiser for an ad spot during a game 5 of a playoff game.  I guarantee you that shit is expensive. 

I don't ever remeber seeing so much ads / hype for a rap album.  These ads are hitting 10's of millions of people.

You think Jay would go through all this trouble for any other artist at Def Jam?

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Jay has got CRAZY promotion going for his new album...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 07:47:40 PM »

Absolutely not Jay is milking that CEO position for all he is worth, has to be a bad thing though, surely he is going to create friction with the other artists on the def jam roster. For me personally and I don't know if your aware of the success that single is having because I am not aware, but I really do not think all of this massive promotion will pay dividends. I really do not think this album has genuine buzz the way that the black album did I could be wrong but unless the album is genuinely good then I can not see it selling. If it is a good album it will sell really well but I just think on name alone he will not get the sales anymore. Plus in my opinion that single is just complete crap and thats an understatement.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 08:11:06 PM »

Absolutely not Jay is milking that CEO position for all he is worth, has to be a bad thing though, surely he is going to create friction with the other artists on the def jam roster. For me personally and I don't know if your aware of the success that single is having because I am not aware, but I really do not think all of this massive promotion will pay dividends. I really do not think this album has genuine buzz the way that the black album did I could be wrong but unless the album is genuinely good then I can not see it selling. If it is a good album it will sell really well but I just think on name alone he will not get the sales anymore. Plus in my opinion that single is just complete crap and thats an understatement.

I think there's def a market out there that is feenin for a new Jay album.  I actually think he's got a legit shot to push some serious 1st week numbers, like 750k plus.  But I think he'd hit those sales regardless of his ad campaign.  He's so overhyped.  People actually believed that the Black Album was gonna be his last album, so just like that shit eeked out some more sales on that album, his "comeback" album will do the same.

I'm sure his new album will have some joints that I'll actually like, cuz they usually do.  But with Reasonable Doubt being the exception, I can't listen to a Jigga cd front to back.  This album will be good for some good joints, but I think it's gonna be a predicatable Jay album and def like a Black Album II.

But the black album is grossly overrated, imo.  It did have a couple of classic cuts, ie 99 problems and My First Song.  The rest was mediocre at best - big name producers dropping pretty boring productions, and Jay has sounded pretty boring behind the mic for the most part.  Punchlines and similies / phors over and over don't really do it for me.  His flow is mostly doo doo.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 08:12:59 PM by Jrome Tha Visualiza »

WC Iz Active

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 08:14:12 PM »
yeah the promotion is nuts.  with all of this promotion he better go at least 3 or 4x times plat otherwise it is a pathetic bust.

everlast1986

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 08:20:32 PM »
Man what the fuck!!!! How many months has he shelved Nas's album since he signed him? and we get news just last month that hes working on a new album and its already done and almost out and of course he promotes the hell out of it because its his album. He needs to resign and just be in charge of his rocafella artists or something because this is just way out of hand.

Narrator

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 08:25:47 PM »
How many months has he shelved Nas's album since he signed him?

Not a whole lot...the only thing we were told was that Nas was coming out Fall '06, and so far, Hov has stayed true to that.  The December '06 release date still stands, as best I know, and it's far enough apart from Jay's album that it won't need to be pushed back anymore.

WestCoasta

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 11:28:23 PM »
I'd feel like a major tool if I purchased this album

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 02:10:42 AM »

Not a whole lot...the only thing we were told was that Nas was coming out Fall '06, and so far, Hov has stayed true to that.  The December '06 release date still stands, as best I know, and it's far enough apart from Jay's album that it won't need to be pushed back anymore.

Yep.

And yes his promotion is crazy at the moment. Theres news about him every day on the internet too.

youngmessnucca

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 09:10:54 AM »
Can you spot the Roots & Method Man's album budgets in Jay's new video?

da flayboyant 2

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 09:27:12 AM »
i didnt see their budgets, i spotted redmans and fabalous's.

Raspass

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 10:42:27 AM »

Where is Buddens and/or Budden in all this  ;D

youngmessnucca

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 10:46:53 AM »

Where is Buddens and/or Budden in all this  ;D

He's gotta make some moves quick, because he's better than any rapper mentioned in this thread.

WC Iz Active

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 11:13:36 AM »
Budden needs another album already.   I am sick of him being overlooked, he is a amazing rapper.

Diabolical

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 12:11:29 PM »
But the black album is grossly overrated, imo.  It did have a couple of classic cuts, ie 99 problems and My First Song.  The rest was mediocre at best - big name producers dropping pretty boring productions, and Jay has sounded pretty boring behind the mic for the most part.  Punchlines and similies / phors over and over don't really do it for me.  His flow is mostly doo doo.

Agreed.

kingwell

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 07:29:22 PM »

Yep.

And yes his promotion is crazy at the moment. Theres news about him every day on the internet too.

LOL if you think he will drop Nas only about 1 mere MONTH after his album.  That is ludicrous. 

Black album dropped in Nov 03, his last single for that shit dropped in april 04.  He isnt going to even drop Nas' single until his own last single is played out to the max.