Author Topic: Heavy D Files Lawsuit Over Fatal Stampede  (Read 108 times)

Damien J.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Heavy D Files Lawsuit Over Fatal Stampede
« on: November 02, 2006, 01:45:42 AM »
Rapper Dwight “Heavy D” Myers has filed a $1.5 million lawsuit against his insurance company stemming from a tragic stampede that took place nearly 15 years ago. In his lawsuit against National Union Fire Insurance Co., Heavy accuses the company of refusing to pay damages to the people who sued him following the now-infamous celebrity basketball game at the City College of New York. On December 28, 1991, nine people were crushed to death trying to gain entry to the gym where it took place.

In 1999, Myers and Sean “P. Diddy” Combs, the event’s promoters, and the school were found negligent as 5,000 tickets were sold for the event though the gym’s capacity was only 2,730. According to Myers’ attorney, Paul Martin, although he secured an insurance policy from National Union to cover anything involving his work as an entertainer, to date Myers has had to pay $791, 899 in damages to the victims. Heavy is seeking reimbursement, plus interest of $381,167 and $324, 919 in legal fees and costs. The insurance company has yet to respond to the lawsuit, which was filed Oct. 27 in Manhattan Supreme Court.

This report is provided by BET.com
Yo! Raps - The Game Belongs To Us | www.yoraps.com

J Bananas

Re: Heavy D Files Lawsuit Over Fatal Stampede
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 02:44:42 AM »
i can see it now. buncha ignorant ghetto black people "aww hell naw i paid for ma ticket im gonna see dis mufuckin show, lemme just step over this 9 yearold girl on the floor real quick like"

niggers make me sick!

theformularadioshow

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 01:50:52 PM »
Yo this was such a black EYE for hip hop, I can't even begin to start. Growing up in NYC during this time, this put such a black eye on ALL HIP HOP EVENTS, and was just another thing for the media to point to when they wanted to diss hip hop. It was so bad that around 2001, when I was at Queens College (in the same CUNY system that Hunter is in) they refused to entertain the fact to have Jaheim perform the national anthem at our basketball championships for FREE because they were afraid something would happen like it did 10 years earlier. I tried to convince the Athletic Director, but he didn't give a shit.

Oh well, but yeah this was a horrible event and shut down alot of venues being open to hip hop at that time.

Rapper Dwight “Heavy D” Myers has filed a $1.5 million lawsuit against his insurance company stemming from a tragic stampede that took place nearly 15 years ago. In his lawsuit against National Union Fire Insurance Co., Heavy accuses the company of refusing to pay damages to the people who sued him following the now-infamous celebrity basketball game at the City College of New York. On December 28, 1991, nine people were crushed to death trying to gain entry to the gym where it took place.
The Forrmula Radio Show Every Sunday 1-3PM EST
http://www.radiovolta.org
DOPE HIP HOP FOR YOUR EARDRUMS!

Sikotic™

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 01:55:32 PM »
i can see it now. buncha ignorant ghetto black people "aww hell naw i paid for ma ticket im gonna see dis mufuckin show, lemme just step over this 9 yearold girl on the floor real quick like"

niggers make me sick!
LMFAO!!!!!!!
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE