Author Topic: Atari Founder Forecasts PlayStation 3 Failure (and Props 360 and Wii)  (Read 123 times)

Don Seer

Finally something from someone credible, someone who isnt a blog dude/nobody..

Creator of Pong and the man behind Chuck E. Cheese gives thumbs up to Wii and Xbox 360, but thumbs down for PlayStation 3

Nolan Bushnell, founder of all things at one point joyous to children, is featured in an interview with Red Herring where he is asked for his opinion on the state of the video game industry today.

Bushnell, who started Atari, is one of the grandfathers of the video game industry. When asked about about which areas he still follows of his former industry, he said, "I’m very curious and interested in the Nintendo Wii. I think it may expand the market beyond the hardcore [18- to 24-year old]."

He also expressed fondness for Microsoft's online strategy, saying, "Xbox Live is interesting because it potentially becomes the platform for the living room."

But the tuned changed to a less positive note when it came to PlayStation 3.

"I think Sony shot themselves in the foot… there is a high probability [they] will fail. The price point is probably unsustainable. For years and years Sony has been a very difficult company to deal with from a developer standpoint. They could get away with their arrogance and capriciousness because they had an installed base," Bushnell said.

more here > http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4880

WC Iz Active

Re: Atari Founder Forecasts PlayStation 3 Failure (and Props 360 and Wii)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 12:34:30 PM »
I have always been a Playstation guy but $600 is way to much and anyways the 360 looks like they have a great catologue of games and is half of the price.  I have never liked the Xbox controllers much but I think Im leaning towards to the 360 over the ps3 for multiple reasons.

I Am The Anton

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 12:49:48 PM »
I have always been a Playstation guy but $600 is way to much and anyways the 360 looks like they have a great catologue of games and is half of the price.  I have never liked the Xbox controllers much but I think Im leaning towards to the 360 over the ps3 for multiple reasons.

Have you used a 360 cntroller before? I think its the most comfortable controller i've ever used, but thats just me.

I need some meaning I can memorize
The kind I have always seems to slip my mind

Don Seer

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 12:52:17 PM »

yeah plus the original xbox changed controllers mid production.. so it could depend whether you tried an earlier or later one.. coz microsoft refined that shit due to feedback..

WC Iz Active

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 12:54:51 PM »
Yeah I tried the earlier xbox controllers and I didnt like them they were to big.  That is great news that the 360 has a comfortable, improved controller, I think Im puttin the 360 on the xmas list

I Am The Anton

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 01:02:36 PM »

yeah plus the original xbox changed controllers mid production.. so it could depend whether you tried an earlier or later one.. coz microsoft refined that shit due to feedback..

Yeah I never had a problem with the original massive xbox controller. The S-type controller is great and the 360 controller is even better.

WC Iz Active

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 01:04:18 PM »

Yeah I never had a problem with the original massive xbox controller. The S-type controller is great and the 360 controller is even better.

coo.  So is the 360 worth it? I mean will they be making games for it years from now? I guess Im just a lil nervous, I dont want to get the 360 and then see XBOX is putting out a newer advanced system in a couple of years.

I Am The Anton

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 01:07:54 PM »

coo.  So is the 360 worth it? I mean will they be making games for it years from now? I guess Im just a lil nervous, I dont want to get the 360 and then see XBOX is putting out a newer advanced system in a couple of years.

Definately worth it. I've never regretted getting one. And right now there are too many good games coming out and I can't afford them all lol.

WC Iz Active

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2006, 01:11:57 PM »
^Cool, I think I have made up my mind but I need to do some more research.  I know the basic system is $300 but I am wondering if there are any packages with controllers or games that you can get.

I Am The Anton

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 01:14:11 PM »
^Cool, I think I have made up my mind but I need to do some more research.  I know the basic system is $300 but I am wondering if there are any packages with controllers or games that you can get.

If I was you I would go ahead and get the $400 one. It comes with the harddrive, which is $100 if you buy it separately, a wireless controller and a headset (to use on xbox live)

WC Iz Active

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 01:15:43 PM »
^^damn that sounds pretty good, what is the advantage of the harddrive?  Sorry Im trying to learn ;D

I Am The Anton

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 01:21:04 PM »
Its easier to deal with as far as game saves go than a memory card. You also will need it to be able to download game demos,videos, and xbox live arcade games. Plus its portable, so you can detach it and take it to a friends house if you need to take a game save with you.