Author Topic: Filler songs make albums even worst.....  (Read 394 times)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
Filler songs make albums even worst.....
« on: November 19, 2006, 06:04:54 PM »
After seeing many comments about "The Blue Carpet Treatment"...it seems as if most of us seem to think that filler songs can actually make an album worst, and lose value.

True, some of us may complain a bit when albums such as "Trauma" are too short...but it seems like most of us hate it even more when albums end up putting filler songs on an album. Thing is, I never thought that filler songs really took away from albums to the point that a 9.5 album could end up being a 7.5. So with TBCT, I just skip over some of the filler songs...and I like a few of the ones that most people seem to hate. But I still don't think filler songs on here, or on other albums really make the album THAT much worst when there are a solid number of songs already.

I think many companies may realize that filler songs can hurt an album...but psychologically, it probably helps them sell more when people look on the back of an album and say "damn, 21 songs!" versus "wow, it's only 13 songs, and I've already heard four of them". However...the worst part about it to me is that there are ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS 3-4 songs from nearly every album that comes out that don't make the album for whatever reasons (usually sample clearances), and these songs are usually better than half of the album itself.

So do you all feel that filler songs really do make an album lose value, or do you just listen to the songs you like and judge the album by that?

Sikotic™

Re: Filler songs make albums even worst.....
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 06:09:32 PM »
I look at the entire album as a presentation. I figure the artist is gonna put the best of the best on his album to satisfy the fans. So when I hear some shit like "Beat Up On Yo Pads", I do feel like the album loses value. A 12-14 track album full of heaters that I can listen to front-to-back is much better than a 22 album track with 5 skits and only 7-8 tracks I can actually listen to.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

CaliKorleone

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 06:16:18 PM »
I don't understand the actual point of filler songs.  Really, if the song isn't that good, then it should never be released.  As for left over tracks that didn't make the cut because of samples clearance that's just what mixtapes are for.
Welcome to the land of the killas, gangsta, hustlas, playas
Westcoast, The real life San Andreas
The real niggaz, jack suckas, fuck the haters
We got bitches, chronic, Lakers, Raiders

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 06:22:27 PM »
I don't understand the actual point of filler songs.  Really, if the song isn't that good, then it should never be released.  As for left over tracks that didn't make the cut because of samples clearance that's just what mixtapes are for.

I just think it's a move for more sales, because it makes it appear as if the consumer is getting more. Psychologically, I do think it works, because you will look on the back of an album and be a lot happier seeing 18-20 tracks than just 10-12.

Also, as someone else mentioned, many of these filler type songs make albums for political purposes such as promoting other artists. For example...Snoop has a song with Western Union, and then one with Warzone on his album, and I am 110% sure that they have done much better songs than that...so even though Snoop does want to promote them, I doubt he'd let them have a standout song on his album that would take any attention away from him.

WestCoasta

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 06:34:02 PM »
I look at the entire album as a presentation. I figure the artist is gonna put the best of the best on his album to satisfy the fans. So when I hear some shit like "Beat Up On Yo Pads", I do feel like the album loses value. A 12-14 track album full of heaters that I can listen to front-to-back is much better than a 22 album track with 5 skits and only 7-8 tracks I can actually listen to.

I pretty much feel the same way

CaliKorleone

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 06:35:22 PM »

I just think it's a move for more sales, because it makes it appear as if the consumer is getting more. Psychologically, I do think it works, because you will look on the back of an album and be a lot happier seeing 18-20 tracks than just 10-12.

Also, as someone else mentioned, many of these filler type songs make albums for political purposes such as promoting other artists. For example...Snoop has a song with Western Union, and then one with Warzone on his album, and I am 110% sure that they have done much better songs than that...so even though Snoop does want to promote them, I doubt he'd let them have a standout song on his album that would take any attention away from him.

Still there have been many albums that have done good in the past with less than 15 tracks.  Album's such as Illmatic and Makaveli come to mind.  But yeah, I see what you mean.  Making the consumer think that they are getting more bang for the buck.
Welcome to the land of the killas, gangsta, hustlas, playas
Westcoast, The real life San Andreas
The real niggaz, jack suckas, fuck the haters
We got bitches, chronic, Lakers, Raiders

d-nice

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 07:34:22 PM »
I feel that there are the songs that a record label wants you to do and there are songs that the artist wants to do and there is the budget. Somewhere inbetween all that you come up with a album. So few artists have that "creative control" to decide what does or does not make a album. Most artist's albums are solely what the label thinks the public wants to hear. So alot of artists now are dropping "bonus cuts" which did not make the album. I think now the industry is going for less means more. Lets focus on making the 12-15 of the best material and put in on a album. 

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 09:09:52 PM »
I think it makes the album instantly loose its standing as a great CD.  However, I'd prefer the 21 track CD, where I might like 2 songs that other people think are shit, and just drop the rest of it.

proverbs aka DD

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 09:14:48 PM »
We all have different opinions on what these songs mean to us..

For some of us..

Radio Singles = Pop shit

Filler songs = the artist's true style and content.

I think some of the hardest lyrics and flow come from filler songs.

Chief

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 11:35:47 PM »
i think filler songs are necessary, i hate it when i'm cruisin in the car with a dope track on and people keep talking... you just put a filler on and have it as background music... plus fillers make you appreciate the good tracks more...

i never understood why people rate albums less just because of fillers, when all you have to do is re-burn the cd or press skip...

but at the same time, like sikotic said, it's nice to hear an album from front to back without skipping... like ice cubes, or quik's latest album... gives an album a whole feel...

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 02:03:32 PM »
You have to realize that not every song is made for the hard core fan or critic. Some songs that are considered filler are geared to the average rap fan that just might enjoy it... Some songs are made just for chicks too....
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 04:53:06 PM by Styles1 »
SENIOR WRITER FOR WWW.ALLHIPHOP.COM

WWW.TWITTER.COM/TIM_SANCHEZ

I.B. BLVD

• 'G'
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 02:22:05 PM »
THUG LIFE vol.1 only had 10 tracks and the whole album to me is heat!!

"Urban Life Near The Beach"

kingwell

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 04:12:45 PM »

Let me smack you real quick, wtf are you talking shit on Beat Up On Yo Pads for?  That shit is so fuckin' positive.

westkoastanostra

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 04:39:06 PM »
yea fuck filler tracks....i like albums short and sweet....i cant really enjoy an album with 20-25 tracks...

Diggfinger

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 08:45:16 AM »
a classic album is one that can be heard and enjoyed from top to bottom, so fillers definately prevents albums from being classic.

I'd go with a 14 track Trauma over a 21 song (TBCT) album anyday no doubt 8)