Author Topic: New York Street Named After Big Punisher?  (Read 116 times)

West Coast Veteran

New York Street Named After Big Punisher?
« on: November 24, 2001, 01:04:04 PM »
Despite Controversy, 'Big Pun Place' Could Still Become A Reality

New York City Committee postpones vote to rename Bronx street after late MC.

Despite resistance from some New York City Council members, who take issue with the rapper's explicit lyrics, the move to get a Bronx street named after late MC Big Punisher still has a fighting chance.

On Wednesday a vote by the New York City Committee on Parks, Recreation, Cultural Affairs and International Intergroup Relations — which could have either stopped the process or pushed it on to the next step — was postponed.

Reasons for the delay were undisclosed. Pedro G. Espada, 27, one of eight City Council members who represent the Bronx, said he's in support of the Big Pun bill. His enthusiasm is not shared by his peers, however. Espada said some of the older Council members who are not familiar with hip-hop are resisting the idea because they consider the rapper's lyrics to be too racy and violent.

It's probable the vote will happen in two weeks, according to Jordan Borowitz, spokesperson for the Council of the City of New York. The legislation has to receive five of the nine committee members' votes to make it to the New York City Council. From there, 26 of the Council's 51 members have to vote in favor of the proposal. It would then go on to the mayor's office for the green light. "This whole process could take three to four months," said Borowitz.

Last year, Bronx residents started a campaign to get a street named after the local hero (see "Bronx Natives Rally For Big Pun Avenue") and were backed by Community Board #2 of the Bronx. Their goal is to rename Rogers Place, which lies between 163 Street and Westchester Avenue in the Bronx, to "Big Pun Place." A mural paying tribute to Pun is located on the street.

Over 7,000 people in the Bronx community signed a petition to show support for the street name change.

Born Christopher Rios, Big Pun died February 7, 2000.

— Shaheem Reid, with additional reporting by Jennifer Vineyard

I think that'll be fuckin' dope! I hope those old fuckers agree with the name change. That would be the first street named after a rapper.

R.I.P. Pun

=[Euthanasia]=

Re: New York Street Named After Big Punisher?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2001, 01:31:15 PM »
That's dope news, if it goes ahead  :) He deserves it.

R.I.P Pun
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

ROCCY

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2001, 01:35:46 PM »
Thats tittte...

R.I.P pun

TheShiznit227

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "We Livin' this shit 'til the day that we die, Survival of the Fit only the strong survive..." Mobb Deep
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2001, 01:38:33 PM »
Even tho' I'd prolly never be on the street, that'd be fuckin' dope if they'd do that...
"One Nation under a Groove, gettin' down jus' for tha funk of it..."

"Rest In Peace to all lives Stolen on September 11th, 2001..." Trey Lawrence III

"Yo, they call me Nas, I'm not your legal type of fella/Moet drinkin, marijuana smokin street dwellah" Nas on "Represent"

bez

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2001, 05:13:22 PM »
R.I.P Big Pun

Hope this street name go's ahead.  be good like.