Author Topic: Does the south have a guilty conscience ?  (Read 1411 times)

SGV

Re: Does the south have a guilty conscience ?
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2006, 08:35:30 PM »
And you like???

Lex Boooger

• 'G'
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2006, 08:36:23 PM »
New York lost man Chicken Noodle Soup didn't work

money i stack pay for my crack

Sikotic™

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2006, 08:37:59 PM »

And that quote people are celebrating by Erick Sermon is the exact reason the South is going at Nas for this. Dudes like Kay Slay and Erick Sermon are NY legends and they're really going hard at the South for being on top. And it's not just E Double and Kay Slay, it's plenty of NY rappers that are mad at the South for being on top right now. So when they see an album titled "Hip Hop Is Dead" come out just as they're enjoying the best success they've ever had, what are they going to think? Probably what they're all thinking now "another New York muthafucka mad that he ain't doing as well as we are right now..."

Couldn't have been broken down any better.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

WestCoasta

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2006, 08:52:54 PM »
how about this you homos

the South fad will eventually fade out anyway, just like all genres do, then there will be bitching by all sides involved

people are acting like the South is on top and that's the way it's gonna be for eternity

herpes

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2006, 09:19:19 PM »
slap myself... so a small segement of music out of a huge state represents there whole music landscape.  Especially a style of music that failed on a mainstream level.  Last time I checked snoop, crooked I, J5, murs werent hyphy music and they are from cali.  In NY most cats didnt consider the hyphy sound a west coast sound.  It was its own sound.  So by your theory when Ja Rule was pushing big numbers his sound represented all of new york. 

Narrator

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2006, 09:37:55 PM »
how about this you homos

the South fad will eventually fade out anyway, just like all genres do, then there will be bitching by all sides involved

people are acting like the South is on top and that's the way it's gonna be for eternity

Fad?  The South has been on top since 1997 when Master P and No Limit came out.  That's almost a decade, homie.  The West Coast barely lasted 5 years at the top.

WestCoasta

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2006, 09:39:24 PM »
^  I didn't really mean it like that, I meant in terms of popularity

just like the East and the West have been big commercially and then it slows down, the same thing will happen

I think everyone can agree on that

herpes

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2006, 09:41:57 PM »
how about this you homos

Fad?  The South has been on top since 1997 when Master P and No Limit came out.  That's almost a decade, homie.  The West Coast barely lasted 5 years at the top.

the south hasntbeen on top since 97.  I would say it was in 97 when they also took the ball and said we can play with the east and west.  But from 97- late 2k4 it was more of every 6 months a certain region would be on top and it was a cycle.  Now if you said since 2005 the south has been on top you would of been right.

Narrator

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2006, 10:04:08 PM »
the south hasntbeen on top since 97.  I would say it was in 97 when they also took the ball and said we can play with the east and west.  But from 97- late 2k4 it was more of every 6 months a certain region would be on top and it was a cycle.  Now if you said since 2005 the south has been on top you would of been right.

Bullshit.  The South "took the ball" in the late-80s when 2 Live Crew came out, moreso in the early- to mid-90s when UGK, Outkast, Goodie Mob, etc. started breaking nationally.  But No Limit demonstrated the growth of Southern rap to near-dominance, as did Cash Money.  And so did Def Jam's success with Ludacris, which began in 2000.  It's been well over 5 years since the South took control, easily.  Southern dominance did not begin with Lil Jon, homie.  Not by a longshot.

LOL at you thinking it's only been since 2005 since the South was on top.  You're fuckin stupid if you think that.

herpes

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2006, 10:17:50 PM »

Bullshit.  The South "took the ball" in the late-80s when 2 Live Crew came out, moreso in the early- to mid-90s when UGK, Outkast, Goodie Mob, etc. started breaking nationally.  But No Limit demonstrated the growth of Southern rap to near-dominance, as did Cash Money.  And so did Def Jam's success with Ludacris, which began in 2000.  It's been well over 5 years since the South took control, easily.  Southern dominance did not begin with Lil Jon, homie.  Not by a longshot.

LOL at you thinking it's only been since 2005 since the South was on top.  You're fuckin stupid if you think that.

yea so lets ignore puffy and the shiney suit era in 97.  And wu-tang forever the hype behind that release wasnt real.  There are just so many people in the wu-tang that it just seems like they had a huge hype with wu-tang forever.  Hey in 98 didnt DMX have 2 albums released that both went to number one.  Last time I checked he was from NY.  And I guess where just completely ignore Jay-Z from that time period.  And the up in smoke tour, 2001 going 7x platinum, the last meal, and the rumors on the NWA reunion were just made up by jimmy iovine and his zionist movement.  And just b/c ja rule make crappy music doesnt cross his name off the list of non southern cats that had a the radio on lock.  And hearing three 50 cents songs on the radio in a hour really isnt a lot when you think about.  A song on the radio last about 3-4 minutes so 50 was only taking up 10-12 minutes of radio time a hour.  When you look at the grand scheme of things thats not really a lot.

Narrator

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2006, 10:25:36 PM »
yea so lets ignore puffy and the shiney suit era in 97.  And wu-tang forever the hype behind that release wasnt real.  There are just so many people in the wu-tang that it just seems like they had a huge hype with wu-tang forever.  Hey in 98 didnt DMX have 2 albums released that both went to number one.  Last time I checked he was from NY.  And I guess where just completely ignore Jay-Z from that time period.  And the up in smoke tour, 2001 going 7x platinum, the last meal, and the rumors on the NWA reunion were just made up by jimmy iovine and his zionist movement.  And just b/c ja rule make crappy music doesnt cross his name off the list of non southern cats that had a the radio on lock.  And hearing three 50 cents songs on the radio in a hour really isnt a lot when you think about.  A song on the radio last about 3-4 minutes so 50 was only taking up 10-12 minutes of radio time a hour.  When you look at the grand scheme of things thats not really a lot.

I'm not "ignoring" any of that shit.  But the fact is that the South was producing more chart-topping rappers than any other coast by the late-90s/early-2000s.  How you gon say "it only started in 2005"?  That's fuckin idiocy, son.  No more, no less.

herpes

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2006, 10:37:50 PM »

I'm not "ignoring" any of that shit.  But the fact is that the South was producing more chart-topping rappers than any other coast by the late-90s/early-2000s.  How you gon say "it only started in 2005"?  That's fuckin idiocy, son.  No more, no less.

I think you misunderstood me.  I didnt mean to say the south only started putting out chart topping music in 2005, b/c cash money and  no limits had there runs to.  But to come on some shit like since 97 the south has been running hip hop that fuckin lunacy, son.  No more no less

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2006, 10:56:50 PM »

No, actually you did ignore that shit.  You said the south has had shit locked since 97, yet there were numerous other albums selling like a motherfucker from other regions - don't forget about Nelly either.  Wasn't his shit pushing diamond?  Nas and Jay both released critically and commercially successful albums in late 01.  South may have been droppin significant albums as well, but so was everybody else.  So it sounds great for your arguement, but it's not accurate to say the south only has been runnin shit for 10 years, lol.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2006, 01:14:09 AM »
all i got to say is this

-i don't really believe nas was directing it SOLEY at the south
-i agree with tom when he says the south must have a guilty conscience
-when it was west vs east, the argument was  ALOT more reasonable on both sides
a) the east was losing hip hop to a different region and style
b) the west was putting out classic music
-how many certified classics, outside of outkast ghetto boys and scarface albums has south put out ?
-hip hop is doomed to die out anyway, its' how the music industry works
-sooner or later another genre will take over
-i've said it for a few years now, hip hop is in it's 'hair metal' 'disco' phase sooner or later the industry will see a counter genre much like punk was to disco and grunge was to hair metal, then something else will spawn and we'll all be considered old fuddy duddy's for liking hip hop

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2006, 01:51:15 AM »
I think I'll use a Tupac quote:

"It's not about east or west, its about niggaz and bitches, power and money, riders and punks.  Which side are you on"

I think you can apply it to what is going on here.  There's quality artists coming from EVERY region.  There's also some "artists" (and use that term loosely) that really put out some extreme bullshit from every region.  The latter group are the ones being called out.  There's cats out that are STRICTLY in it for the hustle - smart ass dudes that see that if they go about it a certain way they can get paid.  But these same hustlers are whoring Hip Hop. 

They have ZERO respect for the artistic nature of music.  They know if they consistently chase trends that their shit has a better chance blow and cash in.  That's all it's about.  And I completely understand that angle and mentality in a business sense.  But I'm talking about HIP HOP - NOT BUSINESS.

So while they're pimpin the game they're also destroying it.  But it's not just the artist - it's labels, media, corporations, etc.  All of these aspects are what Nas is talking about when he says Hip Hop Is Dead.  And he gets MAD PROPS for doing it.  Motherfuckers need to be called out.  And cats are mad sensitive because they know what Nas is saying and they know they're guilty.  They don't want to be exposed because it will fuck up their hustle.

+1