Author Topic: Does the south have a guilty conscience ?  (Read 1407 times)

SGV

Re: Does the south have a guilty conscience ?
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2006, 04:29:39 AM »
Tom you can't be serious. So people can hold the entire South responsible for Snap Music, but Hyphy cannot be credited as a West Coast sound? Seems like you might have a guilty conscience now...

The West was putting out Classics, many of which were West Coast classics. Meaning, they are not classic outside of Cali. Lets be real, Chronic, Death Certificate, and Doggystyle are the West's only true Hip Hop Classics from the era when they ran shit. Sure you can argue for Lethal Injection but that's it. Quiks shit. Dogg Pound shit. SCC, E-40 etc. did not put out Hip Hop Classics. So yeah sure, the South hasn't put out a Chronic or Doggystyle while they've been riding on top, but they have put out albums that are considered Classic in their region.

New York has the guilty conscience. They can't believe that they lost their crown again to people they feel are inferior to them. First it was the West, now the South.

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2006, 04:32:37 AM »
SGV sucks balls

SGV

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2006, 04:39:26 AM »
Oklin, you seem upset. I guess it sucks to realize you're not even the slightest bit Hip Hop.

13 Year Old girls listening to Young Joc are more Hip Hop than you.

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2006, 04:42:37 AM »
Oklin, you seem upset. I guess it sucks to realize you're not even the slightest bit Hip Hop.

13 Year Old girls listening to Young Joc are more Hip Hop than you.
why would i be upset? this is a internet forum :P

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2006, 05:57:41 AM »
Tom you can't be serious. So people can hold the entire South responsible for Snap Music, but Hyphy cannot be credited as a West Coast sound? Seems like you might have a guilty conscience now...

The West was putting out Classics, many of which were West Coast classics. Meaning, they are not classic outside of Cali. Lets be real, Chronic, Death Certificate, and Doggystyle are the West's only true Hip Hop Classics from the era when they ran shit. Sure you can argue for Lethal Injection but that's it. Quiks shit. Dogg Pound shit. SCC, E-40 etc. did not put out Hip Hop Classics. So yeah sure, the South hasn't put out a Chronic or Doggystyle while they've been riding on top, but they have put out albums that are considered Classic in their region.

New York has the guilty conscience. They can't believe that they lost their crown again to people they feel are inferior to them. First it was the West, now the South.

Off course the music the South makes is hiphop, you got morocans rapping over here, thats also hiphop. I think it just depends on what hiphop is for you.
Some people want deep lyrics other people may only want catchy beats, some people just want music that they can bump in the club. Its all different types of rap. Thats what happens when a music genre gets comercial. Same with reggae, when reggae was on top everybody was making reggae type songs.
Everybody jumps on the bandwagon, to make fast money. And it also depends on the media, because they decide whats on the tv etc. But eventually the south will get played out just like the west and just like the east.

SGV

« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2006, 09:11:04 AM »
I don't think anyone is saying the South will always be on top, what I'm saying is that if you can get at the South for making senseless songs about dances and money, while artists in your own state are doing it, you're being hypocritical. And, at the end of the day, it may be about the Hip Hop you enjoy, but you CANNOT sit there and say the Hip Hop you dislike is NOT Hip Hop. I don't give a fuck if you're Erick Sermon or some random dude online, Hip Hop is Hip Hop, plain and simple.

Erick Sermon's guilty conscience is that he hasn't had a real hit since "Music."

herpes

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2006, 09:30:53 AM »

ok, for arguments sake I will agree with you that Hyphy is Cali music.  I still dont get how thinking hyphy music sucks and being a cali music fan make someone a hypocrit.  Am I a hypocrit for loving that old NY sound but not like Ja Rule and G-unit even tho there from NY ?  If im not then whats the difference between the other guy ?

proverbs aka DD

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2006, 09:36:58 AM »

Nas said in an interview that he stole the title "Hip Hop is Dead" from Andre 3000 (a southern rapper). So he isn't hating the south. He just speaking from a perspective that allows him to be more creative with his music.

Rap music has become way more commercial from 10 years ago. With the new wave of fans that has came in, they don't all want the same type of music that was offered back then. You all might think this is crazy, but some people actually listen to music just to snap their fingers and dance  :o :o lol. Not everyone is trying to get to get a street education through the music they listen to. Not everyone is like Erick Sermon and uses music to guide them through their life.. But then again, not everyone is getting paid for making music.

I like all music because they serve its purpose. I personally will never play a D4L song in my stereo or in my truck, but if that is what makes girls shake their asses on the dance floor then i'm all for it.

You  also have to consider that alot of dance rap music came from the south. Remember Luke and 2 Live Crew?? They were creating these type of songs for a long time... In my opinion, they were the ones who actually cleared the way for the other rappers to say things that the government thought was horrible...

SGV

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2006, 09:42:17 AM »

ok, for arguments sake I will agree with you that Hyphy is Cali music.  I still dont get how thinking hyphy music sucks and being a cali music fan make someone a hypocrit.  Am I a hypocrit for loving that old NY sound but not like Ja Rule and G-unit even tho there from NY ?  If im not then whats the difference between the other guy ?

We're not talking about "loving" a sound. We're talking about people dissing another region while their own region is doing the same. So, if you have a problem with the South talking about Money, why are you not getting at the Bay for it? If you rep Cali, you should not go on talking about the South this, the South that seeing as the Hyphy shit is not much different. THAT is being a hypocrite and you not understanding that makes you slow.

Like I've said time and again, Hip Hop started in the Parks and the Clubs. It wasn't about being metaphorically deep and wise, it was about having a good time. D4L and them are making music that is about having a good time... That's what Hip Hop is based on. It wasn't until artists from NY started seeing their crown slip away back in the 90s that they flipped it. NY, again, has a guilty conscience.

herpes

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2006, 09:51:04 AM »

We're not talking about "loving" a sound. We're talking about people dissing another region while their own region is doing the same. So, if you have a problem with the South talking about Money, why are you not getting at the Bay for it? If you rep Cali, you should not go on talking about the South this, the South that seeing as the Hyphy shit is not much different. THAT is being a hypocrite and you not understanding that makes you slow.

Like I've said time and again, Hip Hop started in the Parks and the Clubs. It wasn't about being metaphorically deep and wise, it was about having a good time. D4L and them are making music that is about having a good time... That's what Hip Hop is based on. It wasn't until artists from NY started seeing their crown slip away back in the 90s that they flipped it. NY, again, has a guilty conscience.

I disagree with everything you say, but opinions are like assholes everyone has them.  The only point I agree with is NY also has a guilty conscience.  B/C most of NY knows they are just as guilty for the fall off of NY b/c they made wack music.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2006, 09:54:12 AM »

Nas said in an interview that he stole the title "Hip Hop is Dead" from Andre 3000 (a southern rapper). So he isn't hating the south. He just speaking from a perspective that allows him to be more creative with his music.

Rap music has become way more commercial from 10 years ago. With the new wave of fans that has came in, they don't all want the same type of music that was offered back then. You all might think this is crazy, but some people actually listen to music just to snap their fingers and dance  :o :o lol. Not everyone is trying to get to get a street education through the music they listen to. Not everyone is like Erick Sermon and uses music to guide them through their life.. But then again, not everyone is getting paid for making music.

I like all music because they serve its purpose. I personally will never play a D4L song in my stereo or in my truck, but if that is what makes girls shake their asses on the dance floor then i'm all for it.

You  also have to consider that alot of dance rap music came from the south. Remember Luke and 2 Live Crew?? They were creating these type of songs for a long time... In my opinion, they were the ones who actually cleared the way for the other rappers to say things that the government thought was horrible...

Good post.  And great point about Nas taking the idea from Andre 3000.  Also, Killer Mike did a song on his debut album called "Rap is Dead".  Another southerner saying it's dead.  This is clearly mountains of evidence that shreds any theory that Nas is dissing the south, yet you still get these drama queens swearing thats whats going on.  

All these people saying he's dissing the south are REACHING.  Trying to find anything to make it seem to be the case even when there's endless evidence to the contrary.

Narrator

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2006, 10:21:42 AM »
No, actually you did ignore that shit.  You said the south has had shit locked since 97, yet there were numerous other albums selling like a motherfucker from other regions - don't forget about Nelly either.  Wasn't his shit pushing diamond?  Nas and Jay both released critically and commercially successful albums in late 01.  South may have been droppin significant albums as well, but so was everybody else.  So it sounds great for your arguement, but it's not accurate to say the south only has been runnin shit for 10 years, lol.

That doesn't matter.  Of course there were lots of popular albums in other regions...there still are today (Eminem, Nelly, 50, etc. are all proof of that).  But that's not the point.  The point is that by about 2000 (MAYBE 97 is a little early, but it's damn close), there were MORE chart-topping rappers in the South than anywhere else...the entire No Limit and Cash Money rosters, Luda, 'Kast, Goodie Mob, UGK, Three-6, etc.  So yeah, the South DID have shit on lock by around that time.  That is no "fad", and that's the point I'm trying to make.  I was mostly reacting to Tommy's statement that the South having shit on lock was only since about '05.

Oh, yeah, and go fuck yourself.  Still butthurt for all the times I done owned you, huh, mayne?

This I agree with completely.  They should know that they were as much about that club shit as anyone else during the "Golden Age".  NYC cats today are always pointing to PE, Tribe, De La, etc. as proof that the East Coast was better back then.  The fact is, back when those cats were first coming out, most people on the East Coast were listening to LL Cool J and Heavy D and not giving a fuck about any "conscious" or political shit.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 10:30:29 AM by Almighty Blackman »

herpes

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2006, 10:29:39 AM »
No, actually you did ignore that shit.  You said the south has had shit locked since 97, yet there were numerous other albums selling like a motherfucker from other regions - don't forget about Nelly either.  Wasn't his shit pushing diamond?  Nas and Jay both released critically and commercially successful albums in late 01.  South may have been droppin significant albums as well, but so was everybody else.  So it sounds great for your arguement, but it's not accurate to say the south only has been runnin shit for 10 years, lol.

That doesn't matter.  Of course there were lots of popular albums in other regions...there still are today (Eminem, Nelly, 50, etc. are all proof of that).  But that's not the point.  The point is that by about 2000 (MAYBE 97 is a little early, but it's damn close), there were MORE chart-topping rappers in the South than anywhere else...the entire No Limit and Cash Money rosters, Luda, 'Kast, Goodie Mob, UGK, Three-6, etc.  So yeah, the South DID have shit on lock by around that time.  That is no "fad", and that's the point I'm trying to make.  I was mostly reacting to Tommy's statement that the South having shit on lock was only since about '05.

Oh, yeah, and go fuck yourself.  Still butthurt for all the times I done owned you, huh, mayne?

and during that time period the east & west had just as many chart topping albums and singles.  So your your whole argument that south has had shit on lock since 97 is shot to hell.  Now if you want to make the argument that south is not a fad like hyphy music and they are a major player in hip hop then you are 100 %.  And you lost you whole argument by telling jrome to go fuck himself b/c he threw more facts out there.

Narrator

« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2006, 10:39:01 AM »
and during that time period the east & west had just as many chart topping albums and singles.  So your your whole argument that south has had shit on lock since 97 is shot to hell.  Now if you want to make the argument that south is not a fad like hyphy music and they are a major player in hip hop then you are 100 %.  And you lost you whole argument by telling jrome to go fuck himself b/c he threw more facts out there.

The West did?  Outside of Dre and Snoop, the West had long since fallen off by that time.

The East Coast, I can sort of agree with, since Bad Boy and (later) Def Jam were putting out lots of Platinum-selling rappers.  But by 99, it was obvious Diddy was falling off after his and Mase's 2nd albums both came out and sold poorly.  Def Jam had Jay-Z, DMX, and Ja Rule, but by 2000, even they were realizing that the South was the new direction.  That's why Scarface was chosen to run Def Jam South, and then he in turn went out and found Ludacris and signed him to Def Jam.  If he hadn't done that, there's actually a chance Def Jam as a label would have lost a lot of its commercial power.

Jrome is just a lil nerd who's upset that I've owned him before.  I don't give a fuck what he has to say.

So yeah sure, the South hasn't put out a Chronic or Doggystyle while they've been riding on top, but they have put out albums that are considered Classic in their region.

Not necesarily true...most of Outkast's and probably Goodie Mob's "Soul Food" have classic status outside of the South.  Same for at least a couple of Geto Boyz albums.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 10:43:43 AM by Almighty Blackman »

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2006, 11:12:07 AM »
How does that translate into a guilty consience? Jealousy, yes, but I don't think they have a guilty consience.