Author Topic: Does the south have a guilty conscience ?  (Read 1414 times)

jeromechickenbone

Re: Does the south have a guilty conscience ?
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2006, 11:14:08 AM »
No, actually you did ignore that shit.  You said the south has had shit locked since 97, yet there were numerous other albums selling like a motherfucker from other regions - don't forget about Nelly either.  Wasn't his shit pushing diamond?  Nas and Jay both released critically and commercially successful albums in late 01.  South may have been droppin significant albums as well, but so was everybody else.  So it sounds great for your arguement, but it's not accurate to say the south only has been runnin shit for 10 years, lol.

That doesn't matter.  Of course there were lots of popular albums in other regions...there still are today (Eminem, Nelly, 50, etc. are all proof of that).  But that's not the point.  The point is that by about 2000 (MAYBE 97 is a little early, but it's damn close), there were MORE chart-topping rappers in the South than anywhere else...the entire No Limit and Cash Money rosters, Luda, 'Kast, Goodie Mob, UGK, Three-6, etc.  So yeah, the South DID have shit on lock by around that time.  That is no "fad", and that's the point I'm trying to make.  I was mostly reacting to Tommy's statement that the South having shit on lock was only since about '05.

Oh, yeah, and go fuck yourself.  Still butthurt for all the times I done owned you, huh, mayne?

LMAO.  Go fuck yourself?  Look in the mirror when you ask who's butthurt homeboy...

OK, so 97 is damn close to 2000?  Not in the barely 30 year old Hip Hop universe.  That's a significant time frame.  So no, it doesn't work.  And No Limit wasn't running shit in 2000 - you're stuck in 97/98.  Beats By The Pound had left by that point and their last mainstream hit was "Wobble Wobble" which didn't even have Mystikal in the vid because he had already left.  That was their last breathe - LOL, they weren't running shit at that point.  Luda and Kast were chart toppers, but Goodie Mob, UGK, and 3-6 were running shit?  Based on what? I guess I must have missed that...

The current incarnation of the South which is crunk/snap/trap whatever the fuck you wanna call it wasn't running the game till 03.  Sure there were crunk records that had some success prior, but like it or not that sound wasn't dominating the musical lanscape till Lil Jon blew it up then.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2006, 11:19:28 AM »
Jrome is just a lil nerd who's upset that I've owned him before.  I don't give a fuck what he has to say.

Look at you shuckin and jivin.  You sure are trying hard to convince people that you've "owned me" seeing as how you mention it in post after post.  It's pretty apparent that you're more trying to convince yourself.  Plus you deviate from the arguement and sling personal insults.  Don't you know that's the first sign you took an L in an arguement brotha?

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2006, 12:06:54 PM »

Nas said in an interview that he stole the title "Hip Hop is Dead" from Andre 3000 (a southern rapper). So he isn't hating the south. He just speaking from a perspective that allows him to be more creative with his music.

Rap music has become way more commercial from 10 years ago. With the new wave of fans that has came in, they don't all want the same type of music that was offered back then. You all might think this is crazy, but some people actually listen to music just to snap their fingers and dance  :o :o lol. Not everyone is trying to get to get a street education through the music they listen to. Not everyone is like Erick Sermon and uses music to guide them through their life.. But then again, not everyone is getting paid for making music.

I like all music because they serve its purpose. I personally will never play a D4L song in my stereo or in my truck, but if that is what makes girls shake their asses on the dance floor then i'm all for it.

You  also have to consider that alot of dance rap music came from the south. Remember Luke and 2 Live Crew?? They were creating these type of songs for a long time... In my opinion, they were the ones who actually cleared the way for the other rappers to say things that the government thought was horrible...

Very well said.

Were blaming all these rappers, but isnt it more about the fans? Dont you think these rappers making songs that most people want to hear? Hiphop has gone global, everyone listens to hiphop these days. Dont matter what age, race or religion. And most of these people just want, easy to listen to songs. They dont care about lyrics or flow, they just want music that they can get easily  into.

So what im saying is, these rappers are just giving the fans what they want. If everyone all of the sudden would stop buying this commercial hip[hop, that would force these rappers to come up with something better. But until then they just keep making those type of songs, because their selling.
So its on the people who listen to hiphop, to change it.

But hey if youre fed up with hiphop, just listen to other genres. Theres a ton of other dope music out there.

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2006, 12:46:25 PM »

Like I've said time and again, Hip Hop started in the Parks and the Clubs. It wasn't about being metaphorically deep and wise, it was about having a good time. D4L and them are making music that is about having a good time... That's what Hip Hop is based on. It wasn't until artists from NY started seeing their crown slip away back in the 90s that they flipped it. NY, again, has a guilty conscience.

But i got a question for SGV. Do you think this is hiphop?

It isnt deep, and its about having a good time. Just easy to listen to music.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3g-U9ZwlmXk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3g-U9ZwlmXk</a>

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2006, 01:40:06 PM »
How anyone can proclaim music like Cali is Active as classic and then turn around and shit on the whole South is beyond me. I don't get some of yall.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2006, 05:56:45 PM »
How anyone can proclaim music like Cali is Active as classic and then turn around and shit on the whole South is beyond me. I don't get some of yall.
Hell yeah!! Least somebody said it.

In General, if the west coast raps about being 'gangsta' and smoking weed how can the south be wack if all they are talkin' about is dancing and clubbin'.

I'm not a big fan of either of that kind of music but as much as the south is wack so is the west. No, not in all aspects cuz yeah the west had Pac and the south has Face but when niggas is sayin' how wack the south is for puttin' out 'dancin' records, how about the west when they be puttin' out gang bangin' tracks. Ya get what I'm sayin'?

It's all preference to me.

In every genre/coast of hip hop music there's gonna be wack records and wack artists. So, everybody doesn't perfer commercial hip hop, so it's dead? Prolly. In my honest opinion, I don't believe hip hop is dead, it's alive and wealthy, but the art of the hip hop culture is long gone and has been for years.

Hip Hop used to be associated with DJ's, Turntables, Emcees, Mics, Graffiti, Beats, Break Dancing, Street Corners. If you wanna get technical you could even blame the west coast for killing hip hop. I don't remember the west having any of those in their music, right? Right. But that being gangsta attitude struck off and got lots of people interested. Now the south is doing the same thing. They are coming out strong.

I'm a east coast fan to the fullest. They stared hip hop. They made it and created it. When the west came out hittin' hard, they got jealous. The other side of the county stared to make noise and they thought they were gonna lose everything which created the east verse west coast beef. Again, the south is doing what the west did. East is feeling tension again. And for the first time so is the west. Nas came out and made the comments, south got a little defensive. They are blowing up big and you got two different coasts already in the majors, so they might feel a little ganged up on.

I'll repeat, it's all about preference.

And that's how I take it and that's how I admittedly feel.

Narrator

« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2006, 07:31:16 PM »
Look at you shuckin and jivin.  You sure are trying hard to convince people that you've "owned me" seeing as how you mention it in post after post.  It's pretty apparent that you're more trying to convince yourself.  Plus you deviate from the arguement and sling personal insults.  Don't you know that's the first sign you took an L in an arguement brotha?

Bullshit.  The fact you even came at me with that smart-ass house negro tone like you did is cause you're still upset.  You know it and I know it.

As far as "running" shit goes, there were lots of East Coast rappers selling well even from '92 to '96, when the West was considered "on top".  There are still lots of East Coast artists on top now, and the sound that's most frequently heard on the radios is Kanye's sped-up soul sampling shit.  Does that mean the East Coast is running shit?  Hell no.  And No Limit was losing some steam by 2000, but the fact is, Master P, C-Murder, Mystikal, etc. still put out Platinum-selling albums back then.  But Cash Money was also doing well, so was 'Kast and Luda.  You know how I remember it most distinctly?  Lots of hip-hop publications and sites were talkin bout how 2000 was "the South's year".  Shit, even back in '98, there were people saying it was the year of No Limit.  So trust me, back in those days, there was a definite perception of Southern power.  It wasn't as obvious as it is today, but it was definitely there.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2006, 09:46:20 PM »
Bullshit.  The fact you even came at me with that smart-ass house negro tone like you did is cause you're still upset.  You know it and I know it.

Speak as matter-of-factly as you want, you don't fool anybody.  Fact is, you got mad emotional cuz you made a stupid statement and got proven wrong.  Your only defenses are insults and name calling.  That right there concedes the arguement.  So campaign your "owning" all you want, but you look like a clown.  It's like I said - you're more trying to convince yourself than anyone else.

SGV

« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2006, 05:44:25 AM »
But i got a question for SGV. Do you think this is hiphop?

It isnt deep, and its about having a good time. Just easy to listen to music.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3g-U9ZwlmXk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3g-U9ZwlmXk</a>

You can see an influence from Afrika Baambataa and that era of Hip Hop in that song. Would I say it's Hip Hop? Not really. It's more of that Dance Music.

Narrator

« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2006, 07:03:59 AM »

Speak as matter-of-factly as you want, you don't fool anybody.  Fact is, you got mad emotional cuz you made a stupid statement and got proven wrong.  Your only defenses are insults and name calling.  That right there concedes the arguement.  So campaign your "owning" all you want, but you look like a clown.  It's like I said - you're more trying to convince yourself than anyone else.

NOW look who's ignoring shit.

soopadoopaflykid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Iguess
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2006, 10:17:18 PM »
I cant stand most of the south cuz their on this stripper or hustler type of music...the south is so ignorant and in a bubble they dont ever try to expand or try have a balance musically. Sure the west has all the gang bangin shit but also have acts like tha pharcyde,tha liks,Souls Of Mischief,etc and even our biggest act ever had the best balance 2pac he would have a record about beatin the shit outta biggie and than he'll have a song about brenda's baby....not too many rappers in the south or general can do that. The east also is like west they got the ballers and players stuff but still had acts like gangstarr,pete rock & cl smooth,az,the roots,etc and once again there biggest selling artist biggie had a good balance much like pac. Now the south I can name maybe 5-10 artist that are diverse or different from the current mainstream ppl like outkast,scarface..........maybe some others but i cant really think of them...but the point is as far as rap goes and in mainstream level most of the south is fuckin it up

SGV

« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2006, 10:43:41 PM »
LMAO! Pastor Troy, Trick Daddy, David Banner, Little Brother, Scarface, Goodie Mob, Outkast, Ludacris, Garcia, Bubba Sparxxx, Celph Titled, Nappy Roots, Strange Fruit Project, Khamikaze, I can go on. These are just a few names of Southern Artists who are diferent.

That was a very ignorant statement.

soopadoopaflykid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Iguess
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2006, 11:12:32 PM »
LMAO! Pastor Troy, Trick Daddy, David Banner, Little Brother, Scarface, Goodie Mob, Outkast, Ludacris, Garcia, Bubba Sparxxx, Celph Titled, Nappy Roots, Strange Fruit Project, Khamikaze, I can go on. These are just a few names of Southern Artists who are diferent.

That was a very ignorant statement.

I was sayin mainstream or was mainstream at one point...most of the artists u dropped are on a lot same ol hustler or stripper subjects

SGV

« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2006, 08:00:58 AM »
But they also have different subject matter.

Look at The West. We used to be able to say Planet Asia, Krondon, Defari, Phil Da Agony, Xzibit, Self Scientific etc were different but now they all rap about the same ol shit. As far as Mainstream, the West has only seen Pharcyde and Souls. But they didn't really stick. LMAO @ Using Pac as an example but saying "those artists you named are still on some Hustler shit." Much like Pac, artists like Trick Daddy and David Banner have a mix of street and socially concious records. Don't try to divide them up for your cause.

West Coast mainstream has been and always will be a bunch of gangsta shit. The biggest records for the past 10 years have been Snoop, Cube, Dre, Kurupt, Daz, Game, Xzibit, Eastsidaz, Westside Connection, E 40, Too Short and that's really it.

So all that bullshit you're kicking is ignorant.

The Kryptonian

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2006, 09:32:04 AM »
I think I'll use a Tupac quote:

"It's not about east or west, its about niggaz and bitches, power and money, riders and punks.  Which side are you on"

I think you can apply it to what is going on here.  There's quality artists coming from EVERY region.  There's also some "artists" (and use that term loosely) that really put out some extreme bullshit from every region.  The latter group are the ones being called out.  There's cats out that are STRICTLY in it for the hustle - smart ass dudes that see that if they go about it a certain way they can get paid.  But these same hustlers are whoring Hip Hop. 

They have ZERO respect for the artistic nature of music.  They know if they consistently chase trends that their shit has a better chance blow and cash in.  That's all it's about.  And I completely understand that angle and mentality in a business sense.  But I'm talking about HIP HOP - NOT BUSINESS.

So while they're pimpin the game they're also destroying it.  But it's not just the artist - it's labels, media, corporations, etc.  All of these aspects are what Nas is talking about when he says Hip Hop Is Dead.  And he gets MAD PROPS for doing it.  Motherfuckers need to be called out.  And cats are mad sensitive because they know what Nas is saying and they know they're guilty.  They don't want to be exposed because it will fuck up their hustle.

couldn't say it better