Author Topic: greatest cover song EVER  (Read 240 times)

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
Re: greatest cover song EVER
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 08:16:40 PM »
What a fat mothafucka

ecrazy

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 08:20:59 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QZ8CFRFp7tY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QZ8CFRFp7tY</a>

WC Iz Active

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 09:09:02 PM »
^^great pick

Trauma-san

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2006, 09:31:38 PM »
This is a great song, Braddah Iz is the man but I don't really consider it a 'cover' song because the originals don't have strong identification with a single singer.  I guess Wonderful World you can hand to Louis Armstrong and Somewhere Over The Rainbow to Judy Garland maybe, but how can you call it a cover song when Iz basically owned it?  It can never be done again, it's his forever.

BTW, did yall know when he died they laid his body in state under the capitol dome in Hawaii, 50,000 people filed by to pay their last respects! He was really loved by the hawaiian people because he was a patriot.  Hawaiians basically have this sad thing where they miss their culture and resent being colonized by the british and later becoming an american state.... so it's kind of like a resistance movement, but of course non violent because the Hawaiians wouldn't hurt a flea.  If you listen to some of his other music, it's haunting because it's all about how his ancestors are crying and things like that.  Crazy.

My other favorite song of his is "White Sandy Beach of Hawaii". 

BTW, while I'm thinking about it, a little story.

A guy owns a studio in Hawaii, gets a call one night in the middle of the night, in the middle of a thunderstorm, some soft voice on the other end tells him he wants to come record a song for his friend that he's been working on for a while.  The studio engineer tells him that it's too late, the soft spoken dude on the other end begs him to wait just 15 minutes and he'll be there.  The guy finally relents, and when the door opens 15 minutes later the biggest man he's ever seen is standing there with a yukelele.  He comes in, they do a quick level check of his voice in the microphone, the mountain of a man goes "this one's for Gabby" and records that song in 1 take in the middle of the night, when nobody had ever heard of him before.  Gets signed to a recording contract, goes on to become the biggest musician to ever come from Hawaii... when he passes away 50 thousand people walk by his body to pay their respects.