Author Topic: Nintendo raises profit forcast 20% to 1 billion dollars for the fiscal year.  (Read 123 times)

Trauma-san

Apparently, the DS and the Wii are bombing so bad around the globe that they're breaking sales forecasts and had to raise the company expected profit this year to 1 billion dollars.  Also, Nintendo's stock has doubled in price over the past year, making it the third best performing company on the japanese stock index. 
In Japan, 16 of the best selling 20 games this year were for the Nintendo DS.  In America, the best selling system last year was the DS.  Welcome to the revolution.  LOL

Nintendo Increases Profit Forecast to $1 Billion
Apparently Nintendo is doing something right.
by Micah Seff
January 10, 2007 - Bloomburg is reporting that Nintendo has raised its earnings forecast by 20 percent due to the incredible sales of the DS Lite and increased sales targets for Wii software.

It in a statement released earlier today, Nintendo announced that it expected its net income to rise to 120 billion yen (around $1 billion) for the fiscal year ending March 31. Previous estimates in October had forecasted a profit of 100 billion yen, already an increase from its 98.4 billion yen profit a year prior.

These high profits are driven not just by strong sales of DS systems and software, but also a solid holiday showing internationally for Nintendo's new Wii console. Tokyo-based research firm, Enterbrain, is reporting that the Wii sold twice as many systems as rival Sony's PlayStation 3 did last year in Japan.

"Nintendo is going like gangbusters, and the Wii consoles are selling like hotcakes," said Edwin Merner, of Atlantis Investment Research. "They have momentum, and I think you can expect them to surpass earnings estimates for the next year or two."

Since the Wii became available in Japan on December 2, Nintendo has sold through 989,118 units, Enterbrain reported yesterday. In contrast, Sony's PlayStation 3 released in Japan on Nov. 11, and sold 466,716 units.

Despite these admittedly strong sales, Nintendo's shipment forecast for the Wii remained unchanged at 6 million units worldwide by the end of March.

"The Wii hardware target is the number the company can make by the end of March, not the number they can sell," said Yuuta Sakurai, an analyst at Nomura Research Institute. "Sales momentum is very strong."

Nintendo expects sales this year to increase to 900 billion yen, compared with an earlier estimate of 740 billion yen in October and last year's sales of 509.2 billion yen. By the close of the Tokyo stock exchange yesterday, Nintendo shares had risen 2.4 percent to 29,150 yen. In the past year, Nintendo's stock has more than doubled, becoming the third-best performing stock on the Topix index.

As if all of these numbers weren't enough, Nintendo went on to raise its sales forecast of DS systems this fiscal year to a whopping 23 million units. This is a 15 percent increase from the company's previous target. Software sales forecasts for the handheld juggernaut increased even more by a margin of 22 percent to 100 million units. Furthermore, sales of Wii games are expected to reach 21 million this year, compared with the company's previous expectations of 17 million.

Enterbrain also reported on the top-selling hardware and software in Japan last year, and Nintendo topped both lists. The most popular piece of hardware in 2006 was unsurprisingly the DS with 7.53 million units sold in Japan. Sony's PlayStation Portable came in at a distant second with 1.95 million units sold. On top of that, out of the 20 best-selling games in 2006, sixteen were for the DS and four were for the PlayStation 2. PlayStation Portable's best-selling title came in at 30th on the chart. Top-selling DS titles included Pokemon Diamond/ Pearl, New Super Mario Bros., and More Brain Training.

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
good to hear  8)

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
nintendo makin hella paper right now....how long will the wii momentum last, damn even i thought about coppin a wii at one stage but they were all sold out and since then i lost any desire to cop one, which i am glad i did not anymore, but still that is some crazy shit.......a billion profit....if forecasts are met....pass me a percent of that nucca

Trauma-san

See, that's the thing.  This isn't wii momentum.... this is DS success.  The Wii hasn't even begun to pad Nintendo's pockets yet... some percentage of what they're making is from the Wii, but the large, large percentage of it is simply from killing everywhere with the DS.  I mean this motherfucker is HUGE.  I feel the Wii will be even bigger than that. 

Bedford Iz Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • O.Gz Movements.
Yeaaaaaaaa bwoi! Nintendo put their right foot forward and are making the movement, you can't stop the reign lol, whoever said Nintendo's going to get brought by some rival company needs to get off deeeez nutz!

I'm just glad they pulling through after the whole gamecube sales going low era, this is as trauma said the revolution lol.
Boy Better Know I roll deep with the Nastiest crew, i'm P-Money but i'm O.Gz too"

jeromechickenbone

Man that's really dope news.  Nintendo is proving that quality trumps hype.

Trauma-san

Really though, even in the gamecube era Nintendo still banked tons of money.  Last year for instance their profit was over 800 million dollars.  Even in the downtime they remained the world's #2 software producer.  This is all while microsoft's home gaming division has lost money every year and sony home entertainment has lost money 50% of the years.  That's the dirty secret about all this, even while losing the console war last gen Nintendo was making more money than the other two companies.