Author Topic: COLTS  (Read 884 times)

"THE" MoSav

Re: COLTS
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2007, 11:47:42 PM »
Dilfer, Hostetler, and Grossman have different objectives than Manning. Manning is supposed to win the game for the team, as opposed to just don't lose the game. He has to take risks that those three don't. It'd be real nice if Manning could throw 12 for 25 for 150 yards and win a superbowl, or 9 for 18 for 190 and an INT and win the AFC Championship. But he cannot. For Indy the way the team is built Manning could go 22 for 30 with 300 yards 3 TD passes no INTs and have the game be close till the end. I can't imagine Dilfer or Grossman having to engineer 5 TD drives as a necessity. I could see the D of both those teams getting 5 TD returns before I could ever see Dilfer doing it.

In my opinion a QB on a team with a defense that owns every part of the field is like a light heavyweight boxer who is protected in a weak division. They can still be great boxers but we don't know what they're really made of until they step up and win the heavyweight wars. Will they end up like Holyfield and make a real mark against the big boys,or will they show up for one goofy fight and then step back like Roy Jones. Jones is great for the division he's in. Maybe the best. But everyone that knows boxing knows that if he had to step up and fight Lennox Lewis or Mike Tyson he'd get killed. Manning has to fight Lewis more often than he doesn't. He doesn't have the luxury of being protected with fights against ex-police officers.

oh thats not fair, you cant take away what someone does because of there defense  >:(
What superbowl team hasnt had a good to great defense?
In that case take away what Mike Tyson has done too, because he has never really beat a good fighter he was fighting in such a weak era...

Taking something away from someone is not the same as saying they are not nearly as good as Manning. You want to say Brady, fine. I stongly disagree but atleast there has been a lot of evidence to support how great he is. To say a guy like Dilfer is even in Manning's league is just absurd. It's like saying Antowain Smith with his 2 superbowl wins is better than Barry Sanders because he got the job done in big games and Barry never won a Superbowl. Are you really going to sit here and say you'd take Dilfer on your team before Manning?

And Mike Tyson did fight a lot of junk coming up, but it's not like he avoided a whole class to make sure he won. He fought whatever Heavyweight they pout infront him. He could have tried a hand at Foreman when Foreman came back but that was a lose/lose business decision for Boxing. Tyson wins, and he beat an old man. Tyson loses and an old man beat him. Either way Boxing would lose a big draw. I don't call Tyson the best ever, but I won't say he avoided big fights.

whoa whoa whoa, i never ever ever put Dilfer in Mannings league. I just said he was good the year they won the SB, and you cant deny that. And comparing Antwan Smith to Barry Sanders is different then Brady vs Manning and you know it. Brady has the record for completions is a SB (32) so he is winning games for his team...

Sorry, I thought you were trying to say Dilfer could do what Maning couldn't because he won the big one, and just about everyone should agree that Manning on that same Superbowl team would have still equaled a Superbowl win. I think he was okay the year they won. He never had a full chance. Remember they were rotating QBs that year. But even in the playoffs they were beating teams like the Titans 24-10 with only 5 completions from Dilfer. When you are 5 for 16 in the NFL playoffs I tend to hold off using the word good.

And I wasn't saying Brady is like Antowain. Remember I just think Manning is better. I still think Brady is Hall of Fame material and a top 3 QB. I was comparing Smith to guys like Hostetler and Brad Johnson. Decent players but clearly not at the elite level reserved for players like Barry Sanders.

good points, and no Hostetler wasnt anything special and Brad wasnt HOF good, but Brad Johnson did start in the pro bowl during that SB run, and he made plays..

The Best of 3 Worlds

"THE" MoSav

Re: COLTS
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2007, 01:59:06 AM »
Dilfer, Hostetler, and Grossman have different objectives than Manning. Manning is supposed to win the game for the team, as opposed to just don't lose the game. He has to take risks that those three don't. It'd be real nice if Manning could throw 12 for 25 for 150 yards and win a superbowl, or 9 for 18 for 190 and an INT and win the AFC Championship. But he cannot. For Indy the way the team is built Manning could go 22 for 30 with 300 yards 3 TD passes no INTs and have the game be close till the end. I can't imagine Dilfer or Grossman having to engineer 5 TD drives as a necessity. I could see the D of both those teams getting 5 TD returns before I could ever see Dilfer doing it.

In my opinion a QB on a team with a defense that owns every part of the field is like a light heavyweight boxer who is protected in a weak division. They can still be great boxers but we don't know what they're really made of until they step up and win the heavyweight wars. Will they end up like Holyfield and make a real mark against the big boys,or will they show up for one goofy fight and then step back like Roy Jones. Jones is great for the division he's in. Maybe the best. But everyone that knows boxing knows that if he had to step up and fight Lennox Lewis or Mike Tyson he'd get killed. Manning has to fight Lewis more often than he doesn't. He doesn't have the luxury of being protected with fights against ex-police officers.

;D
Saturday he was 15 of 30 for 175 and 2 ints..Even the "Great" Peyton Manning can get a great defensive performance sometimes, thats 5 INTS in 2 weeks! But the defense has only given up 14 pts, the Colts are in the AFC Championship because of the defense and running game NOT because of Peyton Manning..

The Best of 3 Worlds