Author Topic: Benefits of Organic Produce!  (Read 123 times)

Dogg_Pound_Gangsta

Benefits of Organic Produce!
« on: January 18, 2007, 10:46:52 PM »
I think that the Health and Beauty forum would be awesome so lets flood the G-Spot with these topics!!

Anyways here are some benefits of Organic Produce.  My wife and I are vegetarians and have never felt better.  We eat veggie protein like Yves, Sneiders(sp), and tofu products.  Some people tell us that you need steak and shit but our doctors told us that is untrue.  There is a lady that we work with that had brain cancer and the first thing that the doc told her was to become a vegetarian.  We also eat alot of organic.  We buy it whenever its available.  It tastes alot better, isnt that much more as its becoming more and more popular.  I am a produce manager at a major supermarket and I've noticed that this time last year we were selling about $2000 worth of organic per week.  This year we are selling about $3500.

Benefits:

Around 350 pesticides are permitted in conventional farming and the Soil Association says an estimated 4.5billion litres of them are used annually. While there are Government rules for pesticide residues, they still end up in our food and nobody knows the long-term implications of their combined effect.

Organic farms do not release synthetic pesticides or herbicides into the environment—some of which have the potential to harm local wildlife.

Organic farms are better than conventional farms at sustaining diverse ecosystems, i.e., populations of plants and insects, as well as animals.

When calculated either per unit area or per unit of yield, organic farms use less energy and produce less waste, e.g., waste such as packaging materials for chemicals

there are significantly more of several nutrients in organic crops. These include: 27% more vitamin C, 21.1% more iron, 29.3% more magnesium, and 13.6% more phosphorus. In addition, organic products had 15.1% less nitrates than their conventional counterparts.

Reporting on its study examining pesticide residues in foods bought around the country, Consumer Reports, January 1998, noted: "Our side-by-side tests of organic, green-labeled, and conventional unlabeled produce found that organic foods had consistently minimal or nonexistent pesticide residue."

According to the Environmental Working Group, the 12 most pesticide-laden fruits and vegetables are: (in order of toxicity)

Strawberries
Bell Peppers (tie)
Spinach (tie)
Cherries (USA)
Peaches
Cantaloupe (Mexico)
 Celery
Apples
Apricots
Green Beans
Grapes (Chile)
Cucumbers 

Always buy organic when purchasing these products!  Always buy organic meat and fat products, too, because pesticides accumulate in fats and as you go up the food chain.

Sikotic™

Re: Benefits of Organic Produce!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 10:52:15 PM »
This is a nice read. I always avoid the organic stuff because it's a little expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for.

I usually go out of my way to get organic meat because I don't want to have any kids looking like they came out of a comic book.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Dogg_Pound_Gangsta

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 10:54:51 PM »
HAHAHA Sikotic, youve always been one of my fav posters on this board.  (LOTS of HOMO)

Samoan Enforcer

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 02:56:04 AM »
I mean, you're a lazy fuck double d, who is probably losing weight due to your world of warcraft addiction, that look doesn't really go hand in hand with the image of you getting a pass for hating on people who try to improve themselves unlike a lot of lazy cupcakes. i dont get why youre even wasting your time with this bullshit thread

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 09:32:52 AM »
I really don't like eating chemicals in the food. The only organic thing I eat are the fruits and vegetables and meats. I'm just not comfortable with the chemicals in some of the products. I think food additives and chemicals are the reason why so many people have cancer.

Dogg_Pound_Gangsta

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 10:15:34 PM »
I mean, you're a lazy fuck double d, who is probably losing weight due to your world of warcraft addiction, that look doesn't really go hand in hand with the image of you getting a pass for hating on people who try to improve themselves unlike a lot of lazy cupcakes. i dont get why youre even wasting your time with this bullshit thread

I dont get what the fuck you mean?  I think you need to read the post again, I am pro-organic!